Wife bought used Homelite 350 as a gift, now what do I do...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNYCountry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wife bought used Homelite 350 as a gift, what should I do...

The saw is 15+ years old, fairly lightly used with good compression. The carburation is messed up from sitting, I can get the high and low jets set so that it tops out OK and has plenty of power but it won't idle, so it needs a carburator rebuild or replacement and a couple of chains sharpened and it would be as good as it would ever get. It went through some small thorn apples last weekend OK but it was more of a problem to keep the saw running than it was to cut the wood up.

I don't have a lot of experience with these myself but my father has many years with cutting firewood and removing trees for the town. His advice was similar to what I have been reading here. He said to go buy a new Stihl, Husky or even a Jonsered if I want to go crazy and trade or sell the old Homelite any way I can. His description was the best I've heard, he compared handling a saw to handling a poisonous snake, you have to do everything right 100% of the time, no mistakes, or it will kill you. He said messing with a saw that won't start or run perfectly takes your concentration off of cutting and handling the saw the right way and can turn deadly. I am convinced, now I just have to figure out what to do.

I need a saw to cut firewood and clean up the forest behind the house, 18+ acres that needs some management. There is already some nice hardwood down that needs to be blocked up to start, I have to get this blocked, split and in before it starts to turn. I would be doing this with experienced advice right there with me and I have a good healthy fear of chainsaws and trees having known people who have been hurt badly and killed by both.

I have done automotive work right up to rebuilding engines and transmissions and have plenty of tools, so mechanical work doesn't scare me.

So, can someone tell me if the old 350 is not worth messing with for this? I'm in a tight spot, I have to figure out how to make the trade if necessary without hurting anyone's feelings, etc... If the 350 is actually worth fixing and using for a season it would make it easier.

She paid $100. Was this about right?

Last edited:
gatkeper1 said:
Those are very often in need of a new carb intake boot. They dry out and crack.They are still available from a few sources
Here is one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=85915&item=4363611484

Thank you.

That does make sense, I had to turn the jets way out to get it to run at all. I'll give it a try. If I can run it safely for a little while and then trade up it would tend to make everyone happy. Or is this a better saw than I think?

In my opinion, Homelite 350/360s are wonderful saws. They're a little heavier than the newer generation saws, but have plenty of power and are very reliable. If you've done automotive work and want a bit of fun, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you to get it running fine, especially if it has good compression and I assume good ignition components.

It may only need a carb rebuild and maybe a clean fuel filter with possibly new fuel lines. The rubber boots that connect the carb to the intake crack with age, and this may also be a problem for you. Check out the vibration isolators while you're at it because a lot of movement can cause the rubber intake boot to crack prematurely. Another thing that may be an issue are the seals. None of this is terribly expensive nor is it that difficult for someone with a bit of common mechanical know-how. Parts are available from numerous sources and when you're done you can think of the money saved and it should last just as long or even longer than any new Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Solo, etc.

again, just my opinion,
Dan

Reliability is what I'm concerned about, I don't want to be messing with the saw when it's time to work it.

I will take your suggestion and check/fix those things. There is a pro dealer just down from me that sells everything up to skidders and loaders, etc, so getting parts shouldn't be a problem.

I am understanding that this is an old enough Homelite that it was still a decent saw, before they cheapened them? I need a reliable firewood saw that I don't have to worry about as long as I maintain it the right way.

At the very least it would sell better than the way it is now, and best case maybe it will work fine for me...

Last edited:
I've spent some time researching a carb for my Homelite 450/Craftsman 4.5 (I'm still looking for a FAC from a 550). Fuel filter, fuel line, carb rebuild kit, & carb boot are not hard to find. You might be able to get everything from one source, which will save time & shipping if you don't purchase locally. I paid just under $100.00 for mine, but it was listed as a Craftsman :eek: , & a good part of that was for shipping.

Just noticed that you posted while I was typing. Glad to hear that you're going to get her going.

Last edited:
I am understanding that this is an old enough Homelite that it was still a decent saw, before they cheapened them? I need a reliable firewood saw that I don't have to worry about as long as I maintain it the right way.

I personally think the Homelite professional series of saws (350/360, 450, 550, 650, 750) are the best designs Homelite ever created. I have 2 350/360s running and 2 in retoration. These have been very good saws for me.

Dan

I haven't really spent much time finding out about this thing yet, what time period did they make them, and how many cc/hp is it? I think it has an 18" bar... Maybe this will work out fine for me...

Last edited:
pallis said:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf?OpenDatabase

It sounds like you might get the bug. Mike's site should have all the information you are looking for.

Pat

As far as the bug goes, we've gone and watched the hot saws and chopping every year since we were kids at the Woodsmen's field days up here. It's big enough here that guys from outside the US compete. Pretty impressive.

I'm going to give this 350 an honest try, I could even keep it around as a second saw if I find out I need something bigger too..

The 350 may actually be in the category of one of Homelite`s best but the fact of the matter is Homelite still wouldn`t be in business today if they were still making saws like it. Homelite`s best are no where near the status quo of today`s best saws. Today`s saws are lighter, more powerful for their weight, quieter, and transmit fewer vibes to the user than your saw. You`ll also find other user conveniences such as side chain adjusting and better air filtration to be common. I`m sorry if you find my statements offensive but I want you to be aware of the vast difference between the old saws and new ones. Another thing to consider is that certain Homelites like your`s are notorious for cracking intake boots. Sure you can still find them, but for how long?

If your wife is a normally good wife, I wouldn`t hold this purchase against her, I imagine that she meant well, but you need to explain to her that in the interest of your long term health and ability to feel things with your hands you need a modern saw with lower vibrations and a good chain brake.

Run down the road to Hudon`s and see Ray. He`ll fix you up with an appropriate Stihl and if you are lucky you might even be able to work the Homelite in on a trade.

Good luck, and don`t work with a defunct tool unless you have no choice.

Russ

jokers said:
The 350 may actually be in the category of one of Homelite`s best but the fact of the matter is Homelite still wouldn`t be in business today if they were still making saws like it. Homelite`s best are no where near the status quo of today`s best saws. Today`s saws are lighter, more powerful for their weight, quieter, and transmit fewer vibes to the user than your saw. You`ll also find other user conveniences such as side chain adjusting and better air filtration to be common. I`m sorry if you find my statements offensive but I want you to be aware of the vast difference between the old saws and new ones. Another thing to consider is that certain Homelites like your`s are notorious for cracking intake boots. Sure you can still find them, but for how long?

If your wife is a normally good wife, I wouldn`t hold this purchase against her, I imagine that she meant well, but you need to explain to her that in the interest of your long term health and ability to feel things with your hands you need a modern saw with lower vibrations and a good chain brake.

Run down the road to Hudon`s and see Ray. He`ll fix you up with an appropriate Stihl and if you are lucky you might even be able to work the Homelite in on a trade.

Good luck, and don`t work with a defunct tool unless you have no choice.

Russ

Not offended at all, you echoed what I had heard from several different places, and yes, she's a great wife and I don't hold it against her.

I did speak with her about it a little tonight and I think what I'll do is get this running well like the other guys said, maybe use it a little and think really hard about a purchase of one of the orange saws at Houdin's this summer. If this 350 runs well it may be more to me as a second backup saw than it would be for trade, and it's kind of cool to just have a saw that could be as old as I am (I read they stopped making them in '76?)

I hear from others that Houdin's is THE place to go in the area.

Last edited:
Sounds like Russ don't got da bug :laugh: The new saws are safer and a lot easier to use but somehow I just like tinkering with the old stuff too. If you get the old Homey running, polish her up and give the missus a hug. You probably will want something lighter and faster for regular sawing.

My advice is keep the Hoe-lite and pretend you like it, but don't actually use it. Instead get a Stihl when your wife isn't looking.

Then, out of revenge for getting the Homelite, give her a broken vacuum for her next birthday.

:blob2:

::chuckle::

Sounds like as close to a concensus as it gets. I'll fix the old saw for the sake of having a saw that's as old as I am, and buy a new orange saw in a while to cut with.

Everyone will be happy. :cool:

i agree with what jokers statement about these saws was. good saws. i used one for yrs. but would i use it if i could use my 962 olympyk or 372 husk. not a chance.
that being said ,i never was able to kill mine. gas tank got to leaking and i had an 028 . so i gave it to a neighbor. best worksaw ,no. good project saw ,could be.jmo

jokers said:
If your wife is a normally good wife, I wouldn`t hold this purchase against her,......

This statement was "tongue in cheek", of course you wouldn`t hold it against her.

I still wouldn`t keep this saw as a daily user although as a backup it would probably be ok.

canguy21 said:
Sounds like Russ don't got da bug

Yeah, that`s true. I appreciate the restorations that a few have done and even enjoy seeing them work, BUT I wouldn`t want to have to use one on a regular basis.

Russ

jokers said:
This statement was "tongue in cheek", of course you wouldn`t hold it against her.

Missed that, I'm a little dense... :dizzy:

jokers said:
I still wouldn`t keep this saw as a daily user although as a backup it would probably be ok.

That's the current plan...

jokers said:
Yeah, that`s true. I appreciate the restorations that a few have done and even enjoy seeing them work, BUT I wouldn`t want to have to use one on a regular basis.

Yep, it's a kind of cool to have thing, it's built like a tank but unfortunately handles like one also..

I went down to Hudon's with the old saw, explained the situation quickly and asked if I could get a carb boot and carb rebuild kit. He said "Was she mad at you?" when I told him it was a gift and that I was going to to try to fix it, I got a chuckle out of that. He told me that they were still selling these saws and couldn't get parts for them and that they had had hundreds of requests for that boot. I'm sure he wasn't just trying to sell me a new saw because everything he said matched what I've read so far.

I looked around and decided on the MS361, should be as much saw as I'll ever need and it felt like a piece of paper to pick up compared to the old Homelite. Wow, what a nice feeling/balanced machine, and I haven't even cut with it... I don't mind spending a good chunk of change on something that affects my safety so much, especially when two tanks of home heating oil would more than pay for it.

I found a boot and kit on ebay and ordered it, I'll get the old one running and cleaned up as a second saw and I'm fairly sure she's good with the 361 for a main saw, one important point was telling her it has a chain brake. I'll be buying that in the next couple of weeks.

Best of both worlds and I have a backup saw out of it.

Thanks for everyone's help, I've picked a safe solution to the problem with your advice and I think I've made everyone happy...

Last edited:
These old homelite saws are getting rather hard to actually find parts for anymore, since homelite went to craplite products.

Latest posts

Back