Wife finally went my way and the Stihl 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, after some time passed, checked out options in used saws (having my wife with me). As I had told her, most people we spoke to said the same thing... beware of used saws. So, long story short, she's finally agreed to a new saw... :D

Anyway, was reading some posts here about the Stihl 260/026 and am a little confused...

I was reading this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5521

and got confused.... there was a differentiation about the 260... some talk about the Standard and pro model... I thought the 260 was a Pro saw... as its listed under pro saws on the website. Does the "Pro" 260 refer to the MS260 Arctic, which has the extra features???

Going to make a few phone calls today about the saws I've previously mentioned, to see about demos, Husky 351, 55 Rancher and the Stihl 260... Hoping to get a saw soon, so I can benefit from the current sales...

Thanks!

Hi there, the 026Pro Arctic is made in Germany only I believe and doesnt have a decomp valve, which isnt required anyway. The mods were done by Walkers Saw Shop.
Gypo

Sting-
Stihl has two different models of the 026. One is called an 026 and the other is called an 026Pro. Both are identical except for 3 features. The Pro has a different carb (with non-adjustable high speed jet), an adjustable oiler and a decompression valve. It sells for about $40-$50 more than the 026.
None of these 3 features are particularly necessary. The saw is easy to start without the decompression valve and the fixed oiler on the 026 puts out plenty of oil. The new carb style on the 026Pro is not any better than the carb on the 026.

ooooops, I forgot that Stihl now labels their saws as MS260 and MS260Pro. Same thing, different way of naming them.

sting,

The only differences between the two are: the Pro has a compression release (not a real need on a small saw) and a compensating carb- which adjusts the air fuel ratio as the filter gets dirty. If you buy a Husky, the filter will stay MUCH cleaner.

The 346XP is a better saw, IMO, and the 55 cheaper as you already have found.

Sting,

If she finally agreed to a new saw why don't you get a :rolleyes: 066 Mag or maybe a 372 or 385XP :rolleyes: and forget about the little saw...Just kiddin unless you really want too :D

Later Rob...

well, ole slow rog has struck again.

gypo, go turn up the heat, at 53 degrees, your speakers wont sound very good- esp over your chattering teeth.

tc, hope your air cond. is working, as after jetskiing with your new honey, you'll be awful hot....

The 260 will be lighter, rev higher, and have slightly more power then the Husky models you mentioned. It is also much more expensive. Keep that in mind when you do your comparison. You have to decide if it is worth the extra $$$

Having done some reading on the site, I'm reconsidering the 346XP... most of what I've read has been VERY positive about it... factoring that into the equation, it would appear my choice would then be down to the 346XP or the 260, then wouldn't it???

I'm starting to pull my hair out here... :blob2: just want to make the best purchase... I'm over analyzing, aren't I? :confused:

Forgive me for being a pest...

Hey Sting, You can get a Walkerized 346 for not too much more than the MS260 and it will absolutely smoke the stock Stihl, otherwise, just get the 346, you`ll love it. Russ

Or you can get a Walkerized MS260 and it will absolutely smoke the stock 346 AND the Walkerized 346!

Comparing modified saws to stock saws of a different brand is not a valid comparison. With current EPA restrictions, ALL saws need some sort of modification before becoming usable.

260 vs 346XP

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Or you can get a Walkerized MS260 and it will absolutely smoke the stock 346 AND the Walkerized 346!

Treeclimber165, have you looked at walker's results? I don't think so, otherwise you wouldn't have made such a statement.
Walkerized 260- torque 2.010 and hp 3.197
Walkerized 346Xp- torque 2.280 and hp 3.706
how does the 260 smoke the 346XP?

Treeclimber165, have you looked at walker's results?
The walkers site just tells you the husky has a motor that responds better to muffler mods than the stihl. Believe me when I say dyno numbers mean very little( notice KD and Dennis dont give dyno#'s). You would be hard pressed to get the same results from the same saws let alone different ones. With both saws stock id dont think you can go wrong with either. Pic the one that feels best in your hands

Check out the thread "creative advertising", older but sheads some interesting light on the 260 vs 346 debate, a bit of a read it gets a bit complicated.

Actually bought a 260 today, special on, got it for 550 cdn with a case extra chain and some other goodies. Cut some roads out in the afternoon, the saw worked well for clearing brush and smaller trees, seemed to be runnung a bit rich even for breakin and the EPA muffler sure puts a strangle on the engine. Once I put a few hours on it I will open it up. Overall very smooth, resectable power and easy to use.

:p

Timberwolf

Originally posted by treeclimber165

I dont know what you are thinking brian:confused: a stock 346xp will probably smoke a walkerized 026!:rolleyes: wake up!

Originally posted by timberwolf
Check out the thread "creative advertising", older but sheads some interesting light on the 260 vs 346 debate, a bit of a read it gets a bit complicated.

Once I put a few hours on it I will open it up. Overall very smooth, resectable power and easy to use.

:p

Timberwolf

I'm leaning toward this same saw - what changes are you planning on making to it? and can they be done at home or do you plan on sending it off to someone?

Walkerized

Hi Ben, dyno #s are somewhat dubious, but what really matters is the trend you see through different models. When I got my Walkerized 346, I actually had called Walker`s (John) and asked for an 026. John told me that they are getting bigger gains and better overall performance from the 346 on a routine basis. He had no qualms about providing me with a Walkerized 026 like he has for so may other good folks, but if I wanted the most bang for the buck I should go with the Husky in this case. Although Walker`s are not Stihl dealers, they can provide brand new warranteed Stihls through an arrangemant with a local Stihl dealer and the prices were nearly identical. Walkers also take the saws out and make before and after test cuts from what John has told me, and their results are alot more impressive than muffler mods alone will make. I feel like Walkers are routinely maligned here at AS, maybe because we have builders who generally build more into their saws, but bear in mind that these builders also charge significantly more, and I`ve got to admit that I would like to see before and after dyno results when I`ve laid down my hard earned cash. Some saws are just so obvious that they have been built right, like my KD372, but some others have left me scratching my head and wondering. Hopefully relatively soon I will have a Greffardized MS260 and you bet your a$$ that it will be going head to head with my W346xp, it ought to be interesting since it is commonly accepted that Dennis builds a little more into his saws. So anyway, sorry I digressed so far, but dynos do have a place. I do agree however with the sentiment that a person should get whatever feels best to them and they have the best local support for, any marginal performance differences are moot in this arena. Russ

didnt know you smoked crack brian a stock 346xp will probably smoke a walkerized 026! wake up!
Otto, Are you smoking the wacky tabacky. Stock the 26 is rated .1 more HP than the Husky. I bet the power differance between the two will be unnoticable.

Russ, I am more than a little skepyical when I see some one edvertise dyno #'s. In the sled and dirtbike industry dynos are a tool that crappy tuners use to inflate there sales( not passing judgment on walkers ). Truth of the matter is dynos results can and are manipulted. The one case that comes to mind is a big name snowmobile pipe company thats in Wis and starts with a p. They advertised dyno #'s for a set of triple pipes that where a bit higher than everyone else. Come to find out( friend worked there) they where using a inertia dyno (not very acurate), where running hot pipes and cold coolant temps, and where using pipes before they where bent to fit in a sled. My point is dynos are not the ten commandments when it comes to hp rateings. Most tuners in the know will tell you that the dynomite dyno that walkers uses is a joke as far as accuracy and validity go. Repeatable accuracy is tough to acheive even with a barometric pressure and temperature controled, load cell dyno let alone a small portable unit. And also keep in mind that a dyno is only as good as the person running it. Differant conditions can have major influences on readings.BTW I have talked to walkers and after talking to them the first thought that ran through my head was the guy on the other end of the phone would wear elux socks if they made um.

bwalker....

Walker's figures are right if not spot on...the hopped 346 is a screamer! A modded 026 doesnt have a chance. Main reason seems to be the advanced port design of the Huskys. As well, the stock pwr ratings dont measure up. Several people have done side by side tests, the 346 always wins.

Walker's figures are right if not spot on...the hopped 346 is a screamer! A modded 026 doesnt have a chance. As well, the stock pwr ratings dont measure up. Several people have done side by side tests, the 346 always wins.
Roger,Thats pretty interesting. I assume same chains and bar lengths where used. I would think that the stockers would be about equal and when modded the husky woiuld have a slight edge. I guess when russ gets his 026 back we will know for sure as he will have a greffard 026 and a 346.
BTW there is not a chainsaw made that has advanced port designs. saws are way crude compared to the state of the art roadracers and mx bikes.

Latest posts

Back