Wife finally went my way and the Stihl 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Ben...

as much as I hate to admit it, you are entitled to your opinion, LOL. The Dynomite might be a POS, I don`t know, never heard that, but I would guess that there is some relavence to Walker`s dyno testing. The proof is in the pudding per se, doesn`t matter whether claims of performance improvements are based on dyno results or someone telling me that they made before and after timed cuts. What the saw feels like and does in my hands is what matters to me, nothing else. I do know what my Walkerized 346xp will do running a 20" bar with 3/8 pitch chain and I`m pretty happy with it. Like I said, the ole 346 is going up against the MS260 as soon as I get it back, and then later when the 260 has some hours on it. Based on the prevailing opinions of Dennis' work vs that of Walkers, I would expect the 260 to mush the 346, I`ll let you know when I know, but frankly the "timed cuts" standard is just as dubious, or possibly suspect, as the Dynomite printout. Too many variables unless the cuts are documented with DV, using the same chain and bar in the same condition both times, on the same log with minimal taper to lessen the area to be cut, and on and on and on.... Like I said, some saws you know instantly, they got the stuff, others just make you wanna go hmmm? BTW, you can get Husky socks, but I didn`t at all get the feeling that they wear them at Walker`s, In a few of our lengthy discussions we talked of Stihl`s and other brands that are "best in class". Just my two cents. Russ

Yeah, I tend to agree with your agreement Ben. I hope that Sting can find solace in the fact that at least with these two models, there is no clear cut winner, then it really does come down to the dealer and personal preference. Russ

No, Tony... she won't be using it. It was a reference back to a previous post... I wanted to buy a new saw off the bat, but the wife figured I might be able to find a half-decent used saw... I took her along and she heard from everyone that the buyer should really beware with used saws (something I tried telling her)... and since she's a nut on being safe, she turned to me and said "OK, you can get a new saw."

The main reason she wouldn't use it is because her hand-eye coordination isn't so hot, and to be honest, saws scare her a bit... won't split wood either, she could very easily land the axe in her foot or something. I don't mind... I love working on wood! I could cut and split wood all day... :)

Originally posted by bwalker
Otto, Are you smoking the wacky tabacky. Stock the 26 is rated .1 more HP than the Husky. I bet the power differance between the two will be unnoticable.

Have you ever run a 346xp or an 026? if you had you would know the difference. the 026 gets eaten alive by the 346. You ought to try running them.:eek:

Originally posted by tundraotto
Have you ever run a 346xp or an 026? if you had you would know the difference. the 026 gets eaten alive by the 346. You ought to try running them.:eek:
ditto

bwalker,

I know nothing of m. cycle 2 strokes. But the new closed port Husky designs hop up much more than the Stihl's according to Ken, Dennis, and Walker's. And the pwr gains on my Greffardized 346 are enormous... close to an 044 in speed.

By the way, my Walkerized 335 outcut a stock 020 T today, 16 to 25 seconds, same log, 020T had an older chain, but i had just put a good edge on it, depth gauges ok. 2 inch shorter bar on the 020T too, a 1-2 second bonus that didnt help.

Roger,
One would expect a $650-$700 saw to outcut a $450 saw. How about comparing apples to apples?

Husky 335- $450
Modifications- $200
Shipping- $40-50

That was the exact thought I had treeclimber.
Roger, You comment about a modded346 being close my be true in the softwoods you guys have out west, but I assure you that the 346g will not even come close to a 044 in hardwood. This would be true even if they had the same Hp which I seriously doubt they do.

I'm wondering about longevity and these tuned/hot saws? Has anyone run one for years and had generally good luck? My old Stihl 056 Super is over 15 years old, has been used every year of those 15 years and is still a strong, fast saw (it's also heavy). My Stihl 018/019 (I don't know what it is) has really has seen a lot of use and it's about 6 years old. It's still going strong.
I continue to get mail/read posts suggesting I should buy a 346xp over the Stihl 260. How long has the 346xp been out? Does anyone have years of use with one that would match what I've seen with my Stihls? I want to spend my money wisely, I don't have much - and a big part of that equation is getting a saw that lasts a long time and spends more time in the woods than in the shop. So far Stihl saws have done that for me.

bwalker,

It shouldnt matter the kind of wood...that much anyhow.

Anyhow, my comparison is only with small wood, and with the 044 having a longer bar. In larger wood, and same length bars, I wouldnt expect the 346 to do that well. It could be within 1/2 hp, but the torque is a lot less for sure.

My 335 cost me $275, and normal best inet price is 330, plus about 120 for modding... so pretty cheap. The mod gains were really big, as that particular saw was doggy when stock. But, in another test, it only beat a friend's good shape 020T by 10-15%. As well all know, there are many variables with cutting speed- saw condition, settings, chain......

rick_reno,
If money is tight, get your best price quote using the 018/019 as a trade-in. Trust me, once you've moved up to around 45cc's, the smaller saw will stay on the shelf anyway. Later on you can think about modifications.

A 35cc modified saw that beat a 35cc stock? Well, I guess. I've got a 45cc stock that beat a 55cc stock. Yeah, there are a lot of other factors to consider.

I'm leaning toward this same saw - what changes are you planning on making to it? and can they be done at home or do you plan on sending it off to someone?

For now just plan to open up the muffler, I did that with my 066 no problem, the saw runs cooler and a precievable power increase. Easy gain of 10-15%. The first stage of the mod was just drilling out and adding a couple of holes in the basket then enlarging the outlet a good bit from 3/8" to 1/2". I plan to open it up a bit more but wanted to do it a bit at a time to see the effects on power, heat and sound lvl.

On the 066 I also found that the muffler was poorly matched to the exaust gasket and the muffler, I cleaned that up alot. I would not mind putting some work to the guys who do this custom work, but I dont like the idea of shipping the saws cross country. Though I would consider bying a modified muffler from them and putting it on myself.

also good point made on trading in the smaller saw, with the 260 or 346 just over 10lb and easy to use I dont see too many ocasions that you would absolutly need a smaller saw. A short bar <14" might be nice on occasion.

Intended Use

Hey Sting, what is your most frequent use of this saw going to be? I think most of us have gotten way off track, we`re all introducing our own favorite saw for our primary uses, and I think we forgot all about you. I`m real fond of the 346, but when I need more jam I`ve got a truck full to pick from. My point being that the 346 is a peakier powerband than the 026. If you are mostly cutting firewood 10-20" in diameter, the 026 would probably suit you better, but the 351 would do it nearly as well for alot less money. The all important rotating components on the 351 are the same parts as the 346 has. It has slightly lower peak hp than the 346 and a lower top speed, but the powerband is more tractable and the speed in the cut is very likely to be near the "in the cut" speed of the 346. It all depends on how and what you will use the saw for. Can you provide us with more specifics? Thanks, Russ

Re: Intended Use

Originally posted by jokers
Hey Sting, what is your most frequent use of this saw going to be? I think most of us have gotten way off track, we`re all introducing our own favorite saw for our primary uses, and I think we forgot all about you. I`m real fond of the 346, but when I need more jam I`ve got a truck full to pick from. My point being that the 346 is a peakier powerband than the 026. If you are mostly cutting firewood 10-20" in diameter, the 026 would probably suit you better, but the 351 would do it nearly as well for alot less money. The all important rotating components on the 351 are the same parts as the 346 has. It has slightly lower peak hp than the 346 and a lower top speed, but the powerband is more tractable and the speed in the cut is very likely to be near the "in the cut" speed of the 346. It all depends on how and what you will use the saw for. Can you provide us with more specifics? Thanks, Russ

My situation will be as you describer there Russ, need a smaller go-to saw, as my Pioneer 3270 is just too ???? big for small stuff. As for price, there's only about $70 between the 260 and the 351, with the 260 being more expensive, but there are the goodies thrown in. (Case, chain, hat)

I did try out a 260 the other day, on hardwood, and was pretty impressed. I won't be able to try out a Husky in the size I need probably until I go home again.

Ok Sting, assuming that you like the way the 026 feels to you, get it. For about $70 difference and extras thrown in on the 026, I think it will be your best deal. If you ever decide to sell your saw the 026 is likely to have a $70 better resale value and it is a great saw. I really like the Air Injection on the Huskies but if you keep your chain sharp the Stihl will be just fine, just make sure you knock the filter off once in a while. That`s my opinion and I`m sticking to it. Ha Ha! Russ

Back