Wife report on propane!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever heard people say "The hot water heater" If the water is hot before it got to the water heater, why would you have to heat it? I was hoping that someone would bite on "cold water heater"!:greenchainsaw:

Yep, I hear people say "hot water heater" all the time and I did notice how you worded your first post. Nicely done.

There are some applications where it does apply; Restaurants using a hot water heater as a booster for dishwashers and pre-rinse dish cleaning stations.

Rarely is a hot water heater used in a residential application.

i put a 80gallon electric in this spring, got off propane completely, after me and the old lady take a shower u have to read our meter with a timing light. i have it turned almost all the way down and the electricity bill trippled. missing the gas heater now i tell you.

Yep, I hear people say "hot water heater" all the time and I did notice how you worded your first post. Nicely done.

There are some applications where it does apply; Restaurants using a hot water heater as a booster for dishwashers and pre-rinse dish cleaning stations.

Never been south in the summer?

There are days in the summer here that the cold tapwater comes out of the pipe at shower temp! So I guess in summer we use a "hot" water heater to give it a boost.... JK, but seriously I've only ever heard people call it a plain water heater.

Never been south in the summer?

There are days in the summer here that the cold tapwater comes out of the pipe at shower temp! So I guess in summer we use a "hot" water heater to give it a boost.... JK, but seriously I've only ever heard people call it a plain water heater.

I had family living in TX. They were visiting the in-laws here in MN. One of the young boys asked for a drink of water. Grandpa (FIL) went to the faucet and the boy protested saying "I don't want hot water", only knowing of the water routing in TX being in the attic. In MN, water is cool to cold from the faucet.

Dan

i put a 80gallon electric in this spring, got off propane completely, after me and the old lady take a shower u have to read our meter with a timing light. i have it turned almost all the way down and the electricity bill trippled. missing the gas heater now i tell you.
OK, now you have me worried. Do you mean to tell me that your water heater is using like $100-$200 per month in electricity? I figure that my water heater is using somewhere in the neighborhood of $50/mo with LP. Do you know what your electric rate is?

Maybe I won't be in a hurry to get rid of the propane heater....

I said it once to a plumber, and have never said it again. Now I correct others, and they look at me like I have 3 heads. So thanks for that!

That might be TMI.

I had a TMI moment regarding a water heater a few years ago. A fellow was telling me all about not being able to take a long shower with his significant other without the hot water running out. He went into way too much detail and wasn't joking/kidding.

I may still need therapy from that conversation. It was brutally uncomfortable, to say the least.

That would be dad in the basement slowly turning off the hot water supply line from the water heater.:cheers:

I have the image of Mr Bean on your shoulder as you do this. Before the ride begins, when he looks over and says quietly with a strained smile, "Brace yourself !" .

One of the smarter thigs we did when we built our house was to put in a Rinnai Continuum on demand propane cold water heater. We also have the Rinnai Energysaver 1004 propane heater for backup when the woodstove can't keep up. I just had the 120 gallon tank filled for the first time since May and it took 80 gallons at $2.26 per gallon, roughly $180. for hot water and occasional space heating. Averaging $23. a month. Keep in mind, there are only two extremely frugal adults living here, no hapless teens.

I used to install satellite dishes so I have seen many basements/utility rooms when running the coax lines. One house had 2 brand new 60gal electric water heaters plumbed side by side. I asked the lady if there was an apartment in part of the house and she said no, just her and 2 teenagers but the one heater wouldn't keep up so she had a second installed. Ouch! And it was only for domestic hot water, not heating.

Latest posts

Back