Wildland Firefighting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teatersroad

What's a henway?
Reaction score
Might not go anywhere, but I thought I'd start a thread on it for hodgepodge FF stuff. Seems there are more than a few on here that have quals. Good Contractors? Bad? Keeping task books up. Varieties of task books?

I'm merely have FFT1 open, and working on EMT. No longer associated with any agencies, so little harder to keep things going. I only really want to work Rx fire nearby in the Spring and Fall. Too old and too far down the ladder to want to fly around fighting big stuff..

Put this in logging forestry thread as I imagine most the firefighter are sawyers.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Might not go anywhere, but I thought I'd start a thread on it for hodgepodge FF BS. Seems there are more than a few on here that have quals. Good Contractors? Bad? Keeping task books up. Varieties of task books?

I'm merely have FFT1 open, and working on EMT. No longer associated with any agencies, so little harder to keep things going. I only really want to work Rx fire nearby in the Spring and Fall. Too old and too far down the ladder to want to fly around fighting big stuff..

Put this in logging forestry thread as I imagine most the firefighter are sawyers.

i have worked 1 fire in my life and all i did was snag falling and dozer line. Not real exiting but it was money.

Might not go anywhere, but I thought I'd start a thread on it for hodgepodge FF BS. Seems there are more than a few on here that have quals. Good Contractors? Bad? Keeping task books up. Varieties of task books?

If it's really BS then we don't need to discuss it.

Requirement? just make sense about what you are asking or relaying. BS can be taken to the chainsaw forum. Statements that we don't know or care about our business will be answered by Gologit.
Anyways, not all forestry types are sawyers, maybe 10%, there is a high percentage of book learned, shovel leaners flappin' their traps about what they know, but haven't done.
For myself, I have five years worth of forestry, most of it thrashin' chainsaws or whatever equipment they let get my hands on.

Hi Polly!!

Requirement? just make sense about what you are asking or relaying. BS can be taken to the chainsaw forum. Statements that we don't know or care about our business will be answered by Gologit.
Anyways, not all forestry types are sawyers, maybe 10%, there is a high percentage of book learned, shovel leaners flappin' their traps about what they know, but haven't done.
For myself, I have five years worth of forestry, most of it thrashin' chainsaws or whatever equipment they let get my hands on.

Hi Polly!!

Cheers man, I wasn't trying to be unkind. I just had a sense that there may be some real pro sawyers here that have had a lot of exposure to Wildland Firefighting and yes "the BS" that can be associated with it. Didn't figure to be such an outsider here.

btw: My grandpa logged around Happy Camp in the 40's through the 60's. I remember riding down there as a child after the floods of '64. Your neck of the woods sounds like.

FF is a good paycheck, and you've got to do the 'book stuff' to meet quals. Got outa HS by the skin of my teeth, and think a shovel is noble work.

Last edited:
Cheers man, I wasn't trying to be unkind. I just had a sense that there may be some real pro sawyers here that have had a lot of exposure to Wildland Firefighting and yes "the BS" that can be associated with it. Didn't figure to be such an outsider here.

btw: My grandpa logged around Happy Camp in the 40's through the 60's. I remember riding down there as a child after the floods of '64. Your neck of the woods sounds like.

FF is a good paycheck, and you've got to do the 'book stuff' to meet quals. Got outa HS by the skin of my teeth, and think a shovel is noble work.

theres a guy on here named jasha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrGkn1O6AM8

exactly, thanks. Right soundtrack too. I'd be too puckered up and unskilled for any of that. I imagine they are contractors with CDF, USFS; have to keep their papers and skills all in order and know how to get into that system. With an EMT, FFT1 and other acknowledged quals., I'd hope to find some seasonal work here (noticed usfs was burning today). It's love/hate all the way though. Prineville (my home town) Hotshots were the ones all killed on Storm King Mt., Co. in '94. I'm too old to call that fun (the livin' it)

regards

Hey... Even that can be fun (Actually quite hellish) when you hear the wind pick up and 10 minutes later it's rolling all over your crew...

yeah it did chase us at 1 point when we was tramming out that night we looked back up on the strip and could see the fire. looked like lava.

I swear i have never walked so far in my life.We got down in the first draw and just went to town. the first line was 20 foot wide, and went form the ridge and stretch down into that draw all the way to the end. Grand total 5 miles.

I cut so many big oaks that day with just a 270 with a 20" bar. We were on the hill for 3 days. There were 4 ofus. We had the land owner real nice guy, myself the dozer operator and a scout. He went ahead and set up were the line went. Theni would go through cut the trees and wouldbe followed by the dozer who built the fireline. The first night we slept on the dozer witch was and old cat D6D, the operator got his seat i got the hood(awesome heat for a while) and the scout got the roof. Landowner went home(lucky ass). we would stop At about midnight and start about 8 the next morning. The second night we did not stop.

We ended up cutting 100 miles offire break in 3 days. I cut close to 500 trees before i lost count, and rolled both my ankles 10 times. But i got a new pair of boots out of it. 500 acres burnt to the ground. And was all started by some dumbasses stealing live gas line. They went and shut down a service line between 2 wells and isolated about 3 miles of line. The used one of those k12 rescuse saws to cut it up. I guess a stray spark set the fire. They were caught in the act but were gone by the time the cops got there. The gas company had to foot the bill for the line to be replaced.

Sorry for such a lengthy post but hey this is over a fire:cheers:

Last edited:
yeah it did chase us at 1 point when we was tramming out that night we looked back up on the strip and could see the fire. looked like lava.

I swear i have never walked so far in my life.We got down in the first draw and just went to town. the first line was 20 foot wide, and went form the ridge and stretch down into that draw all the way to the end. Grand total 5 miles.

I cut so many big oaks that day with just a 270 with a 20" bar. We were on the hill for 3 days. There were 4 ofus. We had the land owner real nice guy, myself the dozer operator and a scout. He went ahead and set up were the line went. Theni would go through cut the trees and wouldbe followed by the dozer who built the fireline. The first night we slept on the dozer witch was and old cat D6D, the operator got his seat i got the hood(awesome heat for a while) and the scout got the roof. Landowner went home(lucky ass). we would stop At about midnight and start about 8 the next morning. The second night we did not stop.

We ended up cutting 100 miles offire break in 3 days. I cut close to 500 trees before i lost count, and rolled both my ankles 10 times. But i got a new pair of boots out of it. 500 acres burnt to the ground. And was all started by some dumbasses stealing live gas line. They went and shut down a service line between 2 wells and isolated about 3 miles of line. The used one of those k12 rescuse saws to cut it up. I guess a stray spark set the fire. They were caught in the act but were gone by the time the cops got there. The gas company had to foot the bill for the line to be replaced.

Sorry for such a lengthy post but hey this is over a fire:cheers:
Yah,that's how it seems to start. some idoiot does something stupid and then We get called. the D6D is a tough machine,not quite as tough as a TD-15 tho. The 6C was my favorite fireline cat of all time.

Happy Camp!!! I spent a year there one summer.
QUOTE]

Happy Camp is an oxymoron. I spent a year there one spring. Putting up fire salvage sales. Then, foolishly, a few years later took a job and LIVED downriver for a few real long years. In Siskiyou Countynear the center of the universe. But I had to have those license plates on my car and people were mean when I went north back to home.

One veteran called it "The other nom." (Ukonom)

Strange stories from living there. Strange....

Yep, Ms Polly, the Klamath has a strangers living on it. U-ko-nom, yeah, along with all the other "Noms, Poms, Wans", best to be avoided, Orleans for sure.

Happy Camp!!! I spent a year there one summer.

All I remember from my childhood memory were all of these houses filled knee high with mud, and some hairy road with a cliff on one side and an old wrecked car way down at the bottom. My Grandad ran trucks out of Ashland and Canyonville, Or. Worked the Siskyous and Blues all his life. Have a photo of one of his trucks with a single log, and one after it was hit by a train. Keep meaning to get them to the old photos thread.

Back