wildlife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl460

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm normally a skidder operator, but I have recently had a job offer that will bring home $35 an hour after taxes cutting trees. I will be a temporary employee of the road commision, they want to widen a road but need trees cleared on either side of the road to do so. they tell me it will take 4 or 5 weeks but ive seen it, it's a 2 or 3 week job, but if they say its gonna take 4 to 5 weeks and they want to pay me that kind of hourly wage, its gonna take 4 to 5 weeks by god! ...anyways, im getting sidetracked..

so ive recently started cutting. gotta get my practice so i dont look so much like a rookie tree cutter in a few weeks when i start this job. ive noticed that you see so much wildlife in the woods when cutting trees. squirrels, raccoons, opossumes...etc.. today for example, i tripped over a fawn that was NOT moving for anything.. so i snapped a picture and stopped working in that side of the woods untill the doe came and took it's baby elsewhere.

just curious to see if anyone else has any pictures of the cool stuff you see in the woods while cutting.

This is what I was working on.
186105d1307064301-what-i-working-on0001-jpg

Then I stopped for a bite to eat, looked in the mirror and saw this.
186101d1307064132-what-i-saw0001-jpg

View attachment 186105View attachment 186101

Last edited:
I'm normally a skidder operator, but I have recently had a job offer that will bring home $35 an hour after taxes cutting trees. I will be a temporary employee of the road commision, they want to widen a road but need trees cleared on either side of the road to do so. they tell me it will take 4 or 5 weeks but ive seen it, it's a 2 or 3 week job, but if they say its gonna take 4 to 5 weeks and they want to pay me that kind of hourly wage, its gonna take 4 to 5 weeks by god! ...anyways, im getting sidetracked..

so ive recently started cutting. gotta get my practice so i dont look so much like a rookie tree cutter in a few weeks when i start this job. ive noticed that you see so much wildlife in the woods when cutting trees. squirrels, raccoons, opossumes...etc.. today for example, i tripped over a fawn that was NOT moving for anything.. so i snapped a picture and stopped working in that side of the woods until the doe came and took it's baby elsewhere.

just curious to see if anyone else has any pictures of the cool stuff you see in the woods while cutting.

Yeah, I have a picture of me roasting a fawn over a campfire that I fortuitously tripped over. I moved to the other side of my strip, but unfortunately did not trip over another. lol. Just kidding. Great picture. I will dig through mine and try to post some on here.

This is what I was working on.
186105d1307064301-what-i-working-on0001-jpg

Then I stopped for a bite to eat, looked in the mirror and saw this.
186101d1307064132-what-i-saw0001-jpg

View attachment 186105View attachment 186101
Slowp, love the pic's of the wildlife, but the slab is what really tugged on my heartstrings. I had a bullbuck tell me once many moons ago, and I quote, "Theirs whole damn bunch of slabbers out there looking to get on for this outfit.....You know why looking is as far as they'll get kid?.......Cause this outfit hires fallers and buckers, not slobber's and slabbers!" Couldn't resist Slowp! I have darn sure slabbed a few in my day.......Never was much on taking pics of it though.

Yeah, I have a picture of me roasting a fawn over a campfire that I fortuitously tripped over. I moved to the other side of my strip, but unfortunately did not trip over another. lol. Just kidding. Great picture. I will dig through mine and try to post some on here.

they just melt in your mouth don't they. :msp_rolleyes: at least thats what i've herd.

SlowP, your picture reminds me... I guess this could be directed toward anyone with insight. I was thinking about a little Saturday hike up "Tall Timbers Trail" (just a bit outside of town). The last time (and first time) I tried to go up there the road was blocked off by a bunch of blow-downs. Would a guy get in hot water if he were to bring his 66 up there and buck anything laying across the road? It seems USFS can be a bit strict in it's policies, and I would rather have some background info before I go hackin' away. There is obviously no fire danger here right now...

What is that critter? Opossum?

boomer, or mt beaver. if you've cut in the coast range you've walked right over them. nocternal criters, love to snack on seedlings. now a guy that traps them for some of the timber co's.

As wild as Wildlife gets

Here are some pics of some wild critters i found roaming around in my strip. The critter in the 1rst pic gives me all kinds of crazy feelings! My wife with a gun......a feeling of excitement and dread all wrapped together!

Last edited:
SlowP, your picture reminds me... I guess this could be directed toward anyone with insight. I was thinking about a little Saturday hike up "Tall Timbers Trail" (just a bit outside of town). The last time (and first time) I tried to go up there the road was blocked off by a bunch of blow-downs. Would a guy get in hot water if he were to bring his 66 up there and buck anything laying across the road? It seems USFS can be a bit strict in it's policies, and I would rather have some background info before I go hackin' away. There is obviously no fire danger here right now...

i do it every time i'm up in the green. just have permits. if your takin it out.

Last edited:
Slowp, love the pic's of the wildlife, but the slab is what really tugged on my heartstrings. I had a bullbuck tell me once many moons ago, and I quote, "Theirs whole damn bunch of slabbers out there looking to get on for this outfit.....You know why looking is as far as they'll get kid?.......Cause this outfit hires fallers and buckers, not slobber's and slabbers!" Couldn't resist Slowp! I have darn sure slabbed a few in my day.......Never was much on taking pics of it though.

I would be a slabber, and have never claimed to be any good. I just had to get the roads open, no timber value, roll the chunks off, and go on to the next. The woodcutters got the chunks. I call it whacking, but that could be a bad thing to call it so slabbing it is. I can't seem to cut straight, it isn't my chain or saw, but it is a good thing because then the rounds stay put on my sloped land and I can split them. ;)

Here, it can be done on a numbered road and you can have the wood (usually) at least for the width of the road if you have a wood permit. It is complicated.

I have packed The Barbie Saw up a trail to (I'll use my new terminology) do "some slabbing" to get some blowdown out of it.
I never had any problems, and got thanked for doing it. When you said Tall Timbers, I was thinking about that trail. The Tall Timbers Bar, Motel, and Restaurant is just down the road.

The forest has just come out with a new travel policy, you have to stay on roads that are on a very bad map. The pile of maps is about a foot thick.

The thing is... I don't even want the wood. I just want to be able to make it up to the trail-head!

A few more

Here is some more. I found piles and piles of pic's on here. I could do nothing but post for day's. lol.

The thing is... I don't even want the wood. I just want to be able to make it up to the trail-head!

You could go ahead, and then plead ignorance if it turns out to be a bad thing. Around here, most of the motorized trails get opened up by motorized people. The woodcutters do OK with the roads, except when it is hemlock across. Like on that elk road.

Back