wildlife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a sighting of the infamous "Ugly Hound"? :smile2:

Yes it is! Palin and Ugly. You have got to tell me how you made that pic so you could see it without clicking a link. I worship Thee, Almighty computer genius known as Oregon Sawyer.:bowdown:

You could go ahead, and then plead ignorance if it turns out to be a bad thing. Around here, most of the motorized trails get opened up by motorized people. The woodcutters do OK with the roads, except when it is hemlock across. Like on that elk road.

i allways have a permit . that way when the power that be rollup they can't say that you intended to take the wood. had that argument before.

Yes it is! Palin and Ugly. You have got to tell me how you made that pic so you could see it without clicking a link. I worship Thee, Almighty computer genius known as Oregon Sawyer.:bowdown:

:laugh:

Easy there!!

All I do (I have a Macintosh) is "right-click" the picture and click "copy image location". Then when posting in a thread - above the box you are typing in - you will see an icon that resembles this
treeicon.png

Click that. It will then pop up a little window where you input the web address of the image you would like to post (the "location" I copied earlier). Then select ok

I should appear in the box you are typing similar to "whatever web address you inserted" [IMG]

Hope that helps :)

... If you are not using a Macintosh you can "right-click" the image and select "properties", it will pop up a window and from there you can highlight and copy the web address (URL) for the image. Then follow that same steps for inserting it into your post....

Just stack those rounds next to the trail & someone will steal them for you.

Friend was cutting firewood on private timber ground with a permit. He cut some extra rounds because he was coming back. He came back to someone loading his rounds in their truck. Since he was my friend I did not point out the obvious.

Some folks still believe in the tooth fairy. Cut it & they will load it...in their trucks.

After all, look at all those nice piles right next to the road. Christmas!

I always like to see mama & cubs heading away from me.

We buzzed up the road a few yrs ago to look at the fire. Just 20 min from the house. Didn't take a gun. On the way back to the truck mama was paralleling us about 60' above the road. We couldn't see the cubs anywhere. Yup, we learned something.

Last edited:
OK, one more. Doing some inventory & running profiles on the breaks of the Grande Ronde River. Elk are in rut. Here comes a cow, tongue hanging out, that stops in the middle of the plot.

She finally looks around, rolls eyes & bolts. Here comes a spike bull, tongue hanging out, stops in the middle of the plot. Same scene. Off he goes after the cow.

We just shake our heads & keep working on the plot.

Here are some pics of some wild critters i found roaming around in my strip. The critter in the 1rst pic gives me all kinds of crazy feelings! My wife with a gun......a feeling of excitement and dread all wrapped together!
Great pics. There is just something about a boy and his dog. Good looking boy and dog. Congrats!

greenwedge, uglydog looks border/ lab.? and a good lookin littleman you have there.

My buddie's dad used to be a timber faller, he told me some good wildlife storie's, mostly bees, and rattlesnake's, but he fell a tree once, and the top hit a brush pile, and the dust started to clear, and he saw wild pig,s running everywhere. They were bedded down in the brush the whole time he was there sawing, and everything. I guess when the tree hit they were'nt comfortable anymore LOL! He threw down his saw, and ran to his truck for the rifle! Sausage make's a good logger's breakfast! Im not a logger do cut alot of wood, and do tree, and ranch work clearing tree;s, and brush mostly on our hunting ground. Alot of enjoyment for me being in the woods is seeing wildlife! Even when Im hunting I dont always shoot, sometimes I just enjoy the wildlife!

greenwedge, uglydog looks border/ lab.? and a good lookin littleman you have there.

He is Border Aussie. You were close. Thanks man. I love them kids to death. There the only reason I'm able to stay fairly grounded.

He is Border Aussie. You were close. Thanks man. I love them kids to death. There the only reason I'm able to stay fairly grounded.

there why i settled down. good thing cause i mite not have made it this far.;) good dawgs i've got 3 boarders.

My dog's alway's have been a huge part of my life. True best friend's. During the spring, and winter mostly, I work wiht, and hunt with my dog's for pigs almost every weekend. Weeknights after work I spend atleast an hour of quality time with them. Weekends they go with us in the truck wherever we go.

My buddie's dad used to be a timber faller, he told me some good wildlife storie's, mostly bees, and rattlesnake's, but he fell a tree once, and the top hit a brush pile, and the dust started to clear, and he saw wild pig,s running everywhere. They were bedded down in the brush the whole time he was there sawing, and everything. I guess when the tree hit they were'nt comfortable anymore LOL! He threw down his saw, and ran to his truck for the rifle! Sausage make's a good logger's breakfast! Im not a logger do cut alot of wood, and do tree, and ranch work clearing tree;s, and brush mostly on our hunting ground. Alot of enjoyment for me being in the woods is seeing wildlife! Even when Im hunting I dont always shoot, sometimes I just enjoy the wildlife!
Looking at the post title and just had to tell this story.
In 76 we were cutting a nice patch down on the South Toutle river on state land. Cow creek clean up was the name of the sale. I was bucking for my uncle at the time. Now, he was a really manly man sort of guy. A Robert Redford type, rugged, handsome except not an idiot. He had several things that really bothered him, though. Snakes, mice and bats.
He was falling a nice full length fir snag about 5' on the butt. The kind that has been dead for a while with the bark splitting in various places up the length of the tree. We were both afraid that when he was cutting it the bark would come sliding down the tree. It had happened several times before on this particular job.
He made it through the undercut alright. Then started on the backcut. As he went around the tree it started to pinch down on him. He was real nervous anyway what with the bark setting down on him when the tree started to go. As it fell toward it's mark the bark did indeed start slipping down the tree. As it did it released a black cloud. We couldn't figure out what it was for a bit. We finally realized that it was just full of bats. I have no doubt in my mind that there must have been upward of two thousand of the winged rodents trying to escape the coming tempest. The sky was filled with them. My uncle realized what they were and took off like a fullback intent on a TD. He never had anything to do with the tree. As I bucked it up into log lengths there were dead bats all over the ground. I've never seen anything like before or since. Just had to tell that wildlife story.

Reminds me of the time that we found a live family of Opossums in the end of a hollow log once we started sawing it.

There were Opposums running all around the mill. Literally. The off-bearer wasn't too thrilled to be right in the thick of it. Good entertainment though

Back