Wildthing Races at GTG's.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work

Looks good Randy. :msp_thumbup:

You're gonna need an expansion chamber for that saw now. I seem to remember a guy with a chamber on his that absolutely rips...:msp_w00t:

Looks good Randy. :msp_thumbup:

You're gonna need an expansion chamber for that saw now. I seem to remember a guy with a chamber on his that absolutely rips...:msp_w00t:

Yep that's Arrowhead Eds saw. Damn fast before the pipe. :hmm3grin2orange:

I've got a ways to go before I tackle pipe building. Some day though. :msp_biggrin:

I got a clutch cover in the mail the other day so the Wildest Thang is complete.

Thanks to Modified Mark and Wigglesworth for the help with these parts and others. :rock:

Here's a video as promised. I cut a 8" cant to help you guys who hit the GTGs to see just what the little saw will do in a cant.

[video=youtube;dFlXTRLohq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlXTRLohq4[/video]

Right on!

Nice running saw mastermind. I got to use my WildThing again today. What, with all the tornadoes around here, we've been cutting some wood.

Wanna race? :yoyo:

I busted the intake on my wildthing just a few days before the west ky gtg changing the carb. I didn't get to take it and dominate the 40cc class in the cant race. :(

Well that gave me an excuse to go back in looking for MORE POWER!!!!!! :rock:

I had .035 squish, on a saw this small I like to get it down to .020 But the wildthing is a clamshell saw, that makes it a bit tougher. I could have a popup welded on to increase compression. I didn't much like that because the piston is plated and the heat from welding could cause it to peel off. The other option is something I've wanted to try for quite a while.

I milled .045 off the bottom of the jug/case.

attachment.php

Here's a shot of the boost ports I added last time I was in here.

attachment.php

After a heck of a setup job on the milling table I used a boring bar to raise and center the crankshaft.

attachment.php

I turned a .035 popup on the piston which left me .020 squish. (batteries died in my camera, I'll get a pic of it tomorrow) I ended up with an intake duration of 162° and I raised the exhaust port up to the same duration. After checking the compression I still had 160 psi!!! I only had 140 psi before I started and the exhaust was just at 145°.

More info on the progress when I get more done, hopefully I'll get a video of it in a day or two.

Nice job!!!:rock:

Nice job Randy. The consencus seems to be that .325 is faster than 3/8LP, because of the chain or the sprocket?

Nice job Randy. The consencus seems to be that .325 is faster than 3/8LP, because of the chain or the sprocket?
On mine I belive the 91vx is a little faster than the .325 lpx using 7 pin rims. The 3/8 rim is larger but it pulls it just as well using the chamfer chisel low profile.

On mine I belive the 91vx is a little faster than the .325 lpx using 7 pin rims. The 3/8 rim is larger but it pulls it just as well using the chamfer chisel low profile.

Jay Dub has something here I do believe. The 3/8 would have quite a bit more in chain speed, and wouldn't be as hard to pull. Seems to me it would have to be a faster setup, I'll try that next. :rock:

Jay Dub has something here I do believe. The 3/8 would have quite a bit more in chain speed, and wouldn't be as hard to pull. Seems to me it would have to be a faster setup, I'll try that next. :rock:

You have a mans saw, so run a man sized rim on it. .325/ 8 eight ocho VIII pin and go.
Again, back to my assumption. Jdub does make some sense, though, narrower kerf also.

You have a mans saw, so run a man sized rim on it. .325/ 8 eight ocho VIII pin and go.
Again, back to my assumption. Jdub does make some sense, though, narrower kerf also.

An 8 pin .325 and a 7 pin 3/8 will have the same chain speed. But I'll bet you knew that already. :D

Started It Today

url] (80.4 KB
url] (77.7 KB
And it sounds GOOD! Just need to make a .325 x .050 chain up for it and it's good to go! Might get a chance tomorrow. It's going to be showing it's stuff if any at the Pacific Northwest GTG.
Still haven't got the picture thing down.......Something about "Old Dog & New Tricks"........Bob

url] (80.4 KB
url] (77.7 KB
And it sounds GOOD! Just need to make a .325 x .050 chain up for it and it's good to go! Might get a chance tomorrow. It's going to be showing it's stuff if any at the Pacific Northwest GTG.
Still haven't got the picture thing down.......Something about "Old Dog & New Tricks"........Bob
vary kool.

url] (80.4 KB
url] (77.7 KB

Nice looking saw. Put the primer bulb back in it for effect. can't wait to see that baby sling chips. :blob2:

Back