Wildthing saw was won !!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my cousin called today saying he won a purple and green saw from a raffle and if i would buy it cause he lived in the city and dosent need it....

well after hanging up on him and him calling back i said it was the worst thing ever sold in the saw world .
he replied that the guy said they sell alot and its a good saw.

so he is coming out next weekend to cut up some wood with me and my stihl .

i bet him i can cut a 10 inch tree into 20 slices in half the time of his wildthing.

then we put a wager of 50 bucks and his saw if i win and 100 bucks if i lose.

my question is what am i to do with a wildthing saw???

shayne

I think it would blow it up fast. (It will work on anything with a piston)

You are not thinking, give the kid a chance and get some freaking work out of him.
A Wild-Thing cant cut that much wood. You will quickly win a broken saw.

However, if you mod the muffler for him you get to make the bet a face-cord chopped in half the time / keep what you cut / and when he hands you the saw and money, he gets a face cord of wood more than if he had kept the saw un-modded. Probably would have ended up sinking 100 into it after blowing it up.
50 bucks for a facecord and you have a nice trimming saw.

Wildthing

Shayne , think about your cousin and possibly his first time running a chainsaw in a hype race situation . This does not sound like a safe enviroment . So you win a saw and $50 . Do a muffler mod and adjust the carb on the Wildthing and maybe your cousin will help you cut some wood . Think positive .

Do the muffler mod adjust the carb cut the wood and then put the thing on e-bay for him.
Charge him a few cords of wood chopped to test it.

Have him look for Stihls at estate sales on weekends and bring you the saws for "testing". He buys the beer too and not that cheap stuff. :blob2:

Muffler mod and carb tune before you even start cutting. They come to darn lean from the factory and it will just burn itself up. I bet it is only like a 1/2 turn on the H side from the factory. Open up the muffler and gut it and open the external holes up for him.Then try 1 to 1 1/4 turn on H side. Just have fun and show him how to cut and then get a stop watch and time your cuts. Safer on both of you.

I posted a list of stuff to do with a new McCulloch(sp?) in a thread awhile back, that list would apply here too.......

In it's defense, the Wild Things are decent saws FOR WHAT THEY ARE MEANT TO DO. Consider the targeted demographic. Hint: It's not pro's.

Last edited:
Leave it alone (ie. don't use it) and ebay it. Then use the money on something worthwhile.

As 2Coil noted, they can actually get some work done. I had to rely on one to cut my way out of the driveway after Isabel put several big white pines across the driveway. I continued to use it for some limbing but eventually gave it back to my friend that lent it to me. Buzzed the crap out of you. Your hands tingle after using that thing for awhile.

Why not look at as an opportunity to bring another young disciple into the fold? Show him the ropes, and have a little friendly family fun. He will see the performance difference for himself, and who knows, maybe the bug will bite him too and he will go out and get a real saw :)

he dosent need a saw as he lives in a condo.
he was from the farm so he knows what he is getting into with our bet.
he is also the guy that sold me his john deere garden tractor and made me sell my craftsman junk.
so why he is thinking a wildthing will take a stihl is making me think the city got to him.
shayne

bassman said:
he dosent need a saw as he lives in a condo.
he was from the farm so he knows what he is getting into with our bet.
he is also the guy that sold me his john deere garden tractor and made me sell my craftsman junk.
so why he is thinking a wildthing will take a stihl is making me think the city got to him.
shayne
You are going to run that Stihl 021 right? The 021 you complaining about buzzing your hands to death. I dont like Wild Things but I see this as pretty even in my eyes 021 v/s 2375.

I've found the Wildthing to be a better saw then the Homelite Super 2 that used to have this market. It is put together half way logicaly so you don't have to gut the thing out like a fish to replace the sprocket. Yeah they have oiler problems, well it's a chainsaw not a lawn mower stay out of the grass. I was shortening up 72 series Oregon chain for a guy that ran it on his Wildthing, he kept finding chains and I kept shorting them. Went that way until he pinched and crushed it. Stihl has nothing in this price range. And I am like the only warrantying dealer in at least a 30 mile radius for these beasts yet I only see maybe a dozen a year from the chain stores.
What is fun is listening to all these 029 warriors brag up their saws and run Poulan down. Thats when the 505 comes out to play.

Pull the spark plug then dump in a mixture of glass and fine metal shavings from your chain grinder. Add a bit of starter fluid and put the plug back on. Fire it up in front of the guy who just lost it. Rev it till she blows then throw it in you trash can and pour a gallon of gas on it (best if done in a safe place) Then light a road flare and toss it on the stream of gas you poured from the garbage can. Now look him in the eye and tell him hes better off without it. ;)

Oh yah then ebay it as a good running saw :dizzy:

OK OK I was just joken around. Have him Ebay it. Hell he might get $300.00 plus for it. Then have him buy a nice Husqvarna or Stihl. I can see it now. Wild Thing (is playing in the back ground) Wild Thing Chainsaw. New in the box never used. Rare example of fine craftsmanship. Will cut like a "Wildthing". Great survival tool and should be in every garage before the next storm hits. Be prepared and get a WildThing! Before the Wild thing gets you.

Or some other corny ???? like that! LOL

Last edited:
....it'd be funny if

the guy showed up with the Wildthang and had a sharp@ss chain on it and the race was a tie....or OH MY!, the Poulan won.

Wow, where would we go from there. :dizzy:

I may go buy one just to see what all the fuss is about.

The chain and bar length run would be the difference IMO. I would get 16" bars for both and non-safety chain in windsor semi chisel or the Baileys woodsman pro. Run the same mix, open up the mufflers,re-tune carbs and have some fun. 021 v/s 2375 one in the same IMO, just 021 cost $230-$270 and the 2375 cost if bought $75-$129, but it was free. I wouldnt get EITHER of these saws if I had a choice.

Latest posts

Back