WildThing Vs. Earthquake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/inrut1974/MVI_3255.mp4">

The wood is semi dried maple, and if I remember correctly about 11" diameter.

Last edited:
Very cool at least you found a use for the throw away saws

Did you make the exhaust pipe or are they off like a Gio pocket bikes from china??

Very cool at least you found a use for the throw away saws

Did you make the exhaust pipe or are they off like a Gio pocket bikes from china??

I made the pipe specific for the saw. I gained almost 20% over muffler. It was turning 14,400 rpm.

how do you know exactly how much back pressure or size of the pipe to use?
do you adjust it by opening it up and cutting off so much pipe at a time?
under full load? to see when it rpms out more?

either way its very cool and the pipe looks very good!
I know if i did or could i would be for making them for my old sleds lol

Last edited:
how do you know exactly how much back pressure or size of the pipe to use?
do you adjust it by opening it up and cutting off so much pipe at a time?
under full load? to see when it rpms out more?

either way its very cool and the pipe looks very good!
I know if i did or could i would be for making them for my old sleds lol

I used Mota, a computer program for pipe building. You have to enter the timing numbers, goal rpm, and several other factors.

neat stuff the old sled racing guys use to use straight pipes on thier sleds with different size washers welded at the tip each pipe ,
then they would drill the washer out more or add one to change the sound
and i guess the back pressure and preformance of the motor.. ....

One other question when building the pipe where do you buy the pipe material
is it just muffler pipe? or in sheets? looks like stainless..

Last edited:
you re so warped minded,,no wonder you fit in so well
this from the man with that avatar :dizzy: :msp_lol:
View attachment 278148View attachment 278149

Hey Scott, your quake scared? It should be :laugh::laugh::D:laugh::laugh: 180psi ported and piped, sporting a carb off a 55 Husqvarna.

But in seriousness, how do you guys get your linkages to work when swapping carbs? Needle nose pliers and just "trial and error"? Thats where Im at. She sounds pretty good, dremel got a work out .
That's going to be an awesome saw when you get it tuned. In the mean time give your 4 1/2 grinder a workout on those dirt dauber nests on the pipe...:hmm3grin2orange:

One other question when building the pipe where do you buy the pipe material
is it just muffler pipe? or in sheets? looks like stainless..

I made it out of regular sheet metal. I hand cut, rolled and welded everything.

Ed have you seen the videos of the guys using pressure washers? Its nuts, youtube search "pressure washer expansion chamber". They lay out the pipe on a two sheets of 18 gauge, weld the seams and weld on a fitting onto the end, then they "blow it up" with the pressure washer. Its worth a watch. Hydroforming! Thats it!

Ed have you seen the videos of the guys using pressure washers? Its nuts, youtube search "pressure washer expansion chamber". They lay out the pipe on a two sheets of 18 gauge, weld the seams and weld on a fitting onto the end, then they "blow it up" with the pressure washer. Its worth a watch. Hydroforming! Thats it!

You got a link to that? Sounds "wild"!! :hmm3grin2orange:

[video=youtube_share;I_Z3AIFSd60]http://youtu.be/I_Z3AIFSd60[/video]

That's pretty cool. If a guy could perfect it, it would save a ton of work.

Hail to the YEAH!

That was cool. You could experiment with pipes a whole lot easier with that form of fabrication. It won't have the cool look of the hand rolled pipes, but it has potential.

:popcorn: Go Quake!

Has anyone started taking bets?

You got a quake? Want to run for slips? Im one good day of being able to focus on my poulan thats thrown together from a bunch of free parts and she'll be a screamer! I want to know if any of the quake lovers have been able to make a runner out of free parts, now Im not stupid, I know that the wild thing has been around for MUCH longer and WAY MORE have been made, but for the price I don't think the wild thing can be beat! I know how strong the quake can be, I had a Ryobi 10532, MM and re-tune. I used that saw to re-claim my yard after buying my house. But come on guys, 10 bucks during summer time yards sales, 5 bucks for some tygon and WHAM-O you have a running chainsaw! Take a grinder to the safety bumps on the chain, a 3/8ths drill bit to the muffler after throwing away the inner mesh screen, and you have a saw that'll flat out cut!!!!

i'm with team wild thing on this one. i would still like to see scotts quake. he either hasn't started it or he's keeping it top secret until the bitter end. you never know what he will come up with. i'm actually sitting here kind of annoyed because this thread is going to slow :msp_biggrin:

i'm with team wild thing on this one. i would still like to see scotts quake. he either hasn't started it or he's keeping it top secret until the bitter end. you never know what he will come up with. i'm actually sitting here kind of annoyed because this thread is going to slow :msp_biggrin:

Do you have a Earthquake ?

Do you want one ?

Do you have a Earthquake ?

Do you want one ?

i only own what i claim in my sig and yes i would own a quake anyday. mostly just to run hard to see how long it would last but ya it would be sweet. i have already owned a wild thing and that thing was a little work horse for a disposable saw. lasted 3 years being run hard and then i sold it to my buddy who is a park gardian and a swear it still runs but i will have to ask him next time i see him to be sure.

This is the one I built a few years ago.

IMG_3246.jpg

I thought I saw a video once of your saw cutting wood. If I remember correctly it was pretty amazing. Wild thing races.

Sorry for the slow pace, I have to fix cars all day and don't always get to the saws. I work from 8am to 5pm at a dealership, then tonight Ill be working 6pm to 11pm at my buddies shop, no saw work today:msp_angry:

Latest posts

Back