Will 25:1 outboard oil work for McCulloch Timerbear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
u can use it in backpacks and weed wackers but chainsaws its a nono......i just wouldn't run it at all the newest air cooled oil is synthetic or synthblend and is jaso fd rated outbooard cheapy is tcw3..if u want to play u gotta pay, i just saw echo 16oz. selling for 8.95 at home####po.:confused:

Don't do it is my advice. How much does a bottle of 2stroke mix cost, even if you don't go synthetic, just get the proper stuff.

Outboard oil is made for water cooled engines.

Chainsaws are air cooled!! Needs different oil.

Outboard oil cost me my first saw...and it taught me a good lesson.

First, outboard oil is NOT made for air cooled engines. It is for a much cooler running engine (water cooled). Outboard engines typically run between 160 to 180 degrees F. Your saw will run MUCH hotter than that.

Second, why would you want to risk your investment (worth potentially hundred$ of dollar$) for some cheap oil? The risk/reward analysis says...buy good quality 2-stroke oil and leave the TC-W3 outboard oil in the boat.:monkey:

JQ

Been there, done that. Brand new 435 Husky, 5 trees, one engine. Now I use Husky oil and premium gas (as per the manual, which also mentions NOT to use outboard oil...)

Guys, I have a (stupid) neighbor that ONLY runs outboard oil in all his equipment. He's been doing this for countless years because he was given a five gallon drum of it for free. He uses these tools every week and has been doing this for years, he has never had a single issue.

Perhaps I'm your stupid neighbor. I realize that tcw3 isn't the best but i started running it in my air cooled Polaris about 10,000 miles ago. To the uninformed, 10,000 miles on a two stroke sled is a bunch without a teardown. I buy the $10 a gallon Wally world stuff. While engines may be not be cheap, I'm not sure that 50 cents an once or better for oil is really the cheaper way to go. For a gallon of that aforementioned Echo oil, you have to pay over 32 bucks. I've seen plenty of little bottles that go for over a buck an once. At that price I save over a hundred bucks by the time I go through a gallon. I mix 42-50 to 1 depending on my mood. Of course my saws are relatively inexpensive but I cut 9 cords a year and I bet my 2050 itself has cut well over 100 by now.

I WILL NOT use a dull chain! Maybe that's helping.

You better off not doing it. but it won't hurt anything if you use it to trim tree's but if you want to be part of Ax Men or be cutting more then 15 minutes don't do it.

I know I will get crucified for this but I bought a gallon of Pennzoil outboard and multi purpose 2 cycle oil in 1998 from a Kmart that was going out of business. I have been using it in all my 2 cycle stuff mixed 32:1 from weedeaters to saws to tillers since and have not had any issues. I know other people who insist on using only the air cooled oil and mixing to the manufacturers specs and have had to replace their stuff. Just to give you an idea, bought my weedeater and blower in 1994, chainsaw in 1997, tiller in 2000. I have a poulan 3400 bow that I bought used a few years ago and have cut quite a bit of wood with no issues. Have not replaced a single piston or cylinder yet. Maybe I have been lucky.

My understanding is that outboard mix oils have a problem with properly and consistently lubing the ring groove in the piston, without deposit buildup. Much greater probability of sticking ring(s).

Once ring(s) can't move freely, it's all downhill from there. Quick.

40:1 name-brand for air-cooled, for a while. Back to 50:1 once a few warranties expire.

I have several gallons of 40-1 Merc synthetic mix from my Yamie outboard left over from last fall. Been in FULL red 2 gallon cans in a cool dark place all winter. I used a little bit of it to start the saws a couple of weeks ago, and used some after the snow/ice storms in my Craftsman 2.3 to clean up the damage.

BUT, that being said, most of it will get run thru my old Lawn Chief 3.5 Briggs this spring. it won't be used in the bigger (expensive) saws, and it damn sure won't go back in the boat. I drag race my 21' Eliminator with a 225 Yamie V-6, and had one qualifying session were it died at the launch after I switched tanks to some that had been in there just over 3 weeks... friggin Alky-fuel... If it runs poorly after 3 weeks, it's not going back in anything expensive after 6 months!!!

Last edited:
Outboard oil will burn up a saw, its not made for the high heat that saw's can get to, most all outboards are water cooled and need the oil to work at lower temps .

Cary

Yeah, I know, it's been said about 15 times in this thread. I was just stating what I've done. BUT, sometimes you do with what you have to work with...

I milled quite a whie with my 394 xp using the Walmart outboard oil mixed 32 to 1 or 40 to 1. Had no problem. Found out not supposed to do that. Now use Stihl ultra or poulan synthetic

Back