Will Firewood Stacking damage a tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im stacking firewood between two big oak trees. Some wood has been there a couple years already. I used up some of the wood in a big campfire. Where the wood had been stacked against the tree, looks different than the rest of the bark. I suppose because the wood blocked the sunlight. Also some new wood I've gathered up and the wood thats been stacked a while has some bugs, worms, etc. The stacks are about 50ft from my house. Will stacking against the trees damage them? Will the insects damage the trees or maybe get started in house?

i do it all the time. but, my wood doesn't sit there for more than a year.

I have stacked firewood between trees as well, but never for a very long period.

Could you post a couple of pictures of the trees, and perhaps some of the area that is now exposed?

I dunno about real long term damage, but where i have wood stacked between trees, its plainly visible that even the slight movement of the tree in the wind causes the wood to scratch the bark. I don't see it causing any serious harm though. As far as bugs? Well..... i dunno. I don't see any more bugs than usual, but like everyone else..... my wood will be gone in the spring.

Back