Will it all fit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looked at all my kit on the ground, was a bit worried I'd be taking the saws home and having to come back for the rest :D

P3270238_small.jpg

P3270239_small.jpg

Nice tight fit

..but looks to me it is time for you to step up to a little cargo trailer!

bwahahaha I had to do my firewood one year with a borrowed ww2 jeep. Man they are tiny and as luck would have it, that was the year of the "storm of the century" here in Georgia, March of 93. I got all my wood in in advance, that was near a spring storm, but it took a *lot* of trips with that little jeep. Tail gate down, wood crammed in, tied with a rope so it wouldn't all fall out going up hills. I scrounged big branches and small logs with my axe, they would be hanging out the back almost dragging in the mud, then back at my trailer I would buck them up with an electric chainsaw. Then split any that needed splitting with the same generic axe. It worked! Of course I have improved my technique and tech since then...

Tell ya whut though, that dinky jeep and dinkier motor never got stuck.

lol, looks like my truck when i go out...have saws crammed in and chains hanging on sideboards shovel under the seat axes behind seat,ppe on dash and seat...
after reading about the guy that lost his saws on the road and never found them,just makes ya nervous about laying them in the back of an open bed...:msp_thumbsup:

but looks to me it is time for you to step up to a little cargo trailer!

New job has me working from the home office nearly every day, so I don't need to get a commute-worthy vehicle (many of jobs I interviewed for over the last year were 75 to 90 minute one-way commutes :dizzy: )...

So I'm thinking about this time next year a used F-250 is in my future...would like an 8' bed, maybe with airbags or beefed up suspension so I can put a cord of green wood in it without it looking over loaded.

==============
after reading about the guy that lost his saws on the road and never found them

Yeah, before I had the cap I always hated when I went somewhere with my saws in the back. We're fairly low-crime, but I'm pretty religious about locking the cap even if I'm just running into a local gas station or pizza place. Before the cap I usually I had a bicycle cable lock I'd run through their handles.

Always lock the truck at the firehouse, but that's more for practical jokers then thieves. I know what I've done to some folks who weren't so meticulous about securing their vehicle :D

Last edited:
dont think you will need to beef up suspension too much on a 250sd
i have hauled two full skids of concrete in mine same load.. once it hits the over load springs it rides pretty nice too...around here (our county) if its a 1 ton its commercial veh. so tags insurance etc. is high. its a racket..

In regard to the WWII Jeep, my brother has owned a 1947 CJ 2A for almost 35 years. Not only did it come with a rear PTO, but it also had a front weight that fit between the frame rails behind the bumper. It also had a box that mounted behind it that would fasten to the tailgate chain hook at the top and the rear bumper on the bottom that provided an additional 2 feet of cargo area. It had the same hinge arrangement as the main body so the tailgate could be installed. We hauled many tons of firewood with it off the mountain before we each got 4x4 trucks.

.around here (our county) if its a 1 ton its commercial veh. so tags insurance etc. is high. its a racket..

In CT you can go upto 12,500# before commercial plates are mandatory.

Below that personal pickups are usually register as "Combination" -- registration is about the same as commercial, but you're exempt from "no commercial vehicle" rules on a couple Parkways in the rich corner of the state and some city streets. I understand the insurance rules are different, too but I don't have a good handle on that.

Back