will it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving Pulley

I think I've learned something about the hookup and mechanical advantage of winches and comealongs.

Correct me if I am wrong about using a comealong. If I attach a comealong with the hook anchored to my truck or a tree and then use the ratchet end there with the double line around a pulley on the load I am getting 2 x 1 .

If I use the ratchet end and hook attached to the load and run the doubled cable over to a tree or my truck the pulley remains stationery and my power used is only 1 x 1 .

This is what I learned about using a hookup to obtain double power. I understand doubling up gains power but also takes twice the cranks on a hand winch or comealong.

Nosmo

I think I've learned something about the hookup and mechanical advantage of winches and comealongs.

Correct me if I am wrong about using a comealong. If I attach a comealong with the hook anchored to my truck or a tree and then use the ratchet end there with the double line around a pulley on the load I am getting 2 x 1 .

If I use the ratchet end and hook attached to the load and run the doubled cable over to a tree or my truck the pulley remains stationery and my power used is only 1 x 1 .

This is what I learned about using a hookup to obtain double power. I understand doubling up gains power but also takes twice the cranks on a hand winch or comealong.

Nosmo

thats corect and to tip a tree over 1x1 all you should need.

Nosmo

I'm not sure. The comealong has a 2x ma built into it. I _think_ you get the 2x advantage no matter how you hook it up.

Using just cable a 2x does as you say, not only does it 1/2 the power to pull a load but 2x times as long, it also needs twice as much cable. Hooking up a 4x (2 sheave blocks) it is amazing how fast 50 ft of cable disappears.

Harry K

Mechanical Advantage

Out of curiosity I looked up an article about the mechanical advantage of a comealong. It stated the hook end of the cable was 1 to 1 and the block end is 2 to 1`.

The way the author was describing the better advantage was to use the doubled line with the snatch block attached to the load. Just as you have mentioned to gain the advantage the pulley must move rather than be stationery.

This thread has been interesting.

Nosmo

See if this helps - Years back I had my tractor stuck, IH 574 in a really wet hole. Hooked my F350 to it, wouldn't move, just spun tires. I hung a snatch block on the front of the tractor & got out my 1" Sampson braid rope. One end of the rope on the F350, the other through the snatch & tied off on a tree kind of inline with the pull. The F350 pulled the tractor out then, pretty slick - The snatch block has to move to doudle the pull, if it's chained to a stump or tree, it's just a direction changer.

Half the load

Yep that worked just fine as you described it. From what I have read - when you hooked the final end to a load point like the stump it took half the strain rather that doubling it back to your truck which would have taken all of the load.

Nosmo

Back