will spraying poison ivy hurt the trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlife

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to spray poison ivy vines without hurting the trees they are on. I was planning to cut the big vines on the trunk with a hatchet and spray roundup on the cut vine. Is there any risk the spray will translocate to the roots of the tree?
There is also some young poison ivy growing on the ground under the trees that I was going to just spray the leaves.

Thanks for your advice,
Wildlife

For your foliar spray mix, you have to get it on photosynthetic material. That is usually the leaves...but there is also a little bit in the bark so don't get it on thin barked trees. For the higher concentration used on cut stumps, don't get any of that on any part of the tree. Round up is inactive in the soil...it breaks down relatively quickly. I'd look for the most plain, least fancy you can find. The new ones have some surfactants that I think make them less predictable than just good old fashioned Round up.

I want to spray poison ivy vines without hurting the trees they are on. I was planning to cut the big vines on the trunk with a hatchet and spray roundup on the cut vine. Is there any risk the spray will translocate to the roots of the tree?
There is also some young poison ivy growing on the ground under the trees that I was going to just spray the leaves.

Thanks for your advice,
Wildlife

I would spray the leaves first, wait a week and then cut the vine and paint it with full strength glyphosate. It is a never ending battle but I have yet to affect a full grown tree with Roundup or anything else

Once you cut a PI vine you can just paint the exposed end with diesel fuel. Fancy chemicals are not needed to kill it and diesel is a lot safer to use than most of them. It works for grape vine too.

Where do you get the notion that diesel is "safer" than herbicide??? WAY mis-informed.

Oral LD50 for glyphosate in a rat is 5,600 mg/kg

Oral LD50 for diesel in a rat is 490 mg/kg

Meaning you need 11x the amount of glyphosate to be toxic (to 50% of the population) as you do diesel.

Diesel also has a much more harsh impact in the environment.

Bad advice all around.

cut the vine at the base with loppers and it will die. no need to spray that part. if it sprouts back you can spot treat the leaves before it gets out of control again.

I find the surfactant (I use dawn) added to the glyphosate mix will kill poison ivy vines on the first treatment.

For large vines you are better off cutting a 4-6 inch section out of it with a hand saw. Just cutting all the way through it won't kill it, but if you cut a section out of it, the rest of the vine will die. For spraying, there are specific herbicides that work better than glycophophate. They are specific for broad leaved species like poison ivy. Roundup is indiscriminate.

If you want to kill the poison ivy without harming any other plants cut the stump and treat the stump with straight chemical. I use Crossbow, or another generic called Crossroads. There are formulations that will kill things you don't get it on. Imprellis does a great job on conifers. :guitar: There are also some restricted use pesticides that will get you bareground. Sahara or Pramitol are the trademark names. You don't want to use them anywhere that you hope to have plant material for a while.

Tordon moves in the soil if you put a lot out there...but for treating a several dozen vines per acre, it will be fine. It's worst when you are treating trees of the same species next to each other, it can move through root grafts (I suppose anything else can too, but I have seen it happen with Tordon).

Garlon 3 will volatilize on warm days and can kill other plants in the immediate area.

2, 4-D certainly moves in the air...I have seen a lot of off site damage (more often just leaf curl, not plant death...but you can't tell me that is good for the plant!).

There are several soil sterilants - Spike being the most famous after the moron killed the oaks at Auburn. They will not move far beyond where they are applied, but you don't technically treat the plant, but the soil. Anything growing in the treated space will be impacted.

There are plenty of others...these are the first that game to mind.

Back