Will the MS880 fit in the Stihl orange case?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishhuntcutwood said:
I wouldn't put an 880 in a case anyway. If he's got to be running the biggest and the baddest with a mondo bar, he's gonna want to show it off.

Jeff

jeff: I bought the same bar (in .404) yesterday - weights as much as the saw! Not showing it to anyone, except you, if you ever make it over here... Am I going to have to arrange a GTG????? I'm starting to think you are actually Simon, and maybe don't really exist...;)

Lakeside53 said:
jeff: I bought the same bar (in .404) yesterday - weights as much as the saw! Not showing it to anyone, except you, if you ever make it over here... Am I going to have to arrange a GTG????? I'm starting to think you are actually Simon, and maybe don't really exist...;)

Well for crying out loud! :D Listen, I have to stop in at Filson, and likely Wesspur here in the next few weeks, workload/trees permitting. I'll see if I can make it out to see you. Will the 088 be done soon?

Worse come to worse, I'm driving home in August for my Mom's 50th birthday and do some treework at my parents and their neighbor's house. I will at the very least, stop in then and run some saws with you, as I'll have all of mine with me. We'll have our own two man GTG, and revel in Stihl splendor!! :blob2:

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Well for crying out loud! :D Listen, I have to stop in at Filson, and likely Wesspur here in the next few weeks, workload/trees permitting. I'll see if I can make it out to see you. Will the 088 be done soon?

Worse come to worse, I'm driving home in August for my Mom's 50th birthday and do some treework at my parents and their neighbor's house. I will at the very least, stop in then and run some saws with you, as I'll have all of mine with me. We'll have our own two man GTG, and revel in Stihl splendor!! :blob2:

Jeff

I just knew the Simon part would get you out of the closet:D It's a deal! Yes, just got my assembly sleeve, so the 088 should be thundering, or smoking, Saturday!

Lakeside53 said:
I just knew the Simon part would get you out of the closet:D It's a deal! Yes, just got my assembly sleeve, so the 088 should be thundering, or smoking, Saturday!

Well fine then. I'll make it a point the next time I'm over. I doubt I'll be over this weekend, as I've got two wind blow madrona that are half down in friend's yards that I need to take down, and maybe an engine change on a Tri Islander. But I do have to go to Filson for an exchange, and it's gonna bug me until I get it done, so I WILL be over as soon as a weekend frees up.

Thank you all!

I still would like to get a case for the thing, its for my husband and he does insist on bringing all his chainsaws into our house and making a mess cleaning them, although I guess he wants to be warm and not work in the garage:) And I dont want my 3-year-old hurting herself on the chain or walking into it.

As said, there is no case made that the 880 will fit into. If you want a case, you are going to have to cut up something to make one. Big saws like that are rarely cased as they are normally used by serious users who don't feel a case is necessary, and because the case would have to be huge to accommodate it. There is little demand for a case to fit a saw that big, so there is no interest in producing one. If he got creative with some wood, a few hinges, a handle and a latch or two, he could have a pretty nice custom wood case to fit it, but as for factory manufactured there isn't anything available.

I agree with Timber Pig (as seems to be usual ;) ) that a case for that thing could be considered not necessary. But I also understand your need to keep your daughter safe. A wildland firefighing trick I picked up was to cut a length of the 4" in heavy firehose and slip it over the bar. If you've got access to firehose-go down to the fire station and talk to those guys as nicely as you have us, and they've probably got an old hose, or pieces thereof laying around. If you're good with a needle, you can buy some heavy gauge nylon or vinyl and make a sheath for it.

Jeff

TimberPig said:
If he got creative with some wood, a few hinges, a handle and a latch or two, he could have a pretty nice custom wood case to fit it, but as for factory manufactured there isn't anything available.

No offense intended, TimberPig, but if'n he made a case out of wood, he'd have to put a 3/4 ton pickup axle under it and a hitch on the front to move it around! I just stopped at my local Stihl dealer today to pick up some stuff and he's got a slightly used MS880 on the shelf. I picked it up just to look it over and couldn't wait to set it back down! DANG if that ain't a big, heavy beast!!

I asked the salesman what the deal was with it - there is absolutely no need for a saw that size in western WI!! Some fella came in, bought it (special ordered), and brought it back two days later wanting to "return" it. Dealer said no way, it's yours! They are just displaying it and trying to find a buyer for it.

MichelleB said:
I still would like to get a case for the thing, its for my husband and he does insist on bringing all his chainsaws into our house and making a mess cleaning them, although I guess he wants to be warm and not work in the garage:)

Just get a space heater for the garage.

Yes, he is lucky!

Oh, how much was that chain saw slightly used?

I know my guy. He's like a walking Stihl advertisement. He's usually got big ORANGE Stihl written across his back on his tshirts, he's got the jackets, hat, pants, shoes, sun glasses, he even bought a toy chainsaw for our baby (Stihl also). He wore a Stihl tshirt to my company xmas dinner lol!

But when he's playing with his chain saws, I know he's not playing with other women:) And 2K is worth a little bit of insurance:)

MichelleB said:
Yes, he is lucky!

I know my guy. He's like a walking Stihl advertisement. He's usually got big ORANGE Stihl written across his back on his tshirts, he's got the jackets, hat, pants, shoes, sun glasses, he even bought a toy chainsaw for our baby (Stihl also). He wore a Stihl tshirt to my company xmas dinner lol!

But when he's playing with his chain saws, I know he's not playing with other women:) And 2K is worth a little bit of insurance:)

Michelle,
Does he use these saws for work?

MichelleB said:

I'd like to give you my wifes work number so you two can chat!

I mean she's already accomodated extra trucks and trailers, a couple of overstuffed gunsafes, and at least two of each power tool...but I don't wanna hold back any untapped potential! :D

MichelleB said:

$1370.00 is what they're asking. I just called them to find out some more info. He tells me that it in fact has NOT seen any use at all. They put gas and oil in it and started it, but it has not cut any wood. I guess the guy took one look at it and decided it was a bit "too much"! Dealer said that both he and the guy's brother warned him it was too big, but he didn't believe them until he seen it! :laugh: Anyhow, it is equipped with a 32" bar. I didn't take the sleeve off to see what chain they have on it. Full warranty goes with the saw - they didn't turn the paperwork in yet.

PM me if anyone might be interested and I'll pass along phone number to call. He said he would be willing to ship it to wherever.

Latest posts

Back