Windsor bar---What gauge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I have an old Windsor bar and I don't see a reference to what gauge it is.

The number by the slots is F80X. Underneath it is 2721. On the other side is 90522. It is a 24", 3/8 bar.

I am trying to find a bar(that I have) that is 50 gauge so my hunting buddy can make chains for it. His grandpa runs a 70e and the bar is shot. I have lots of 58 gauge bars, but this is the only one that I think might be .050.

Can anyone help me out? I am heading to his place tomorrow morning when I go cut wood. I tried a search and google, but no luck.

Those numbers don't reveal to me what the gauge is. You can try a .058 gauge chain on for size in the groove, or you can run a feeler gauge around the groove. Many used bars can accomodate the next larger chain gauge. I use the largest gauge that works, even if the bar is marked for the smaller gauge.

Those numbers don't reveal to me what the gauge is. You can try a .058 gauge chain on for size in the groove, or you can run a feeler gauge around the groove. Many used bars can accomodate the next larger chain gauge. I use the largest gauge that works, even if the bar is marked for the smaller gauge.

I don't have access to a feeler gauge right now, but I can give the .058 chain a shot. The grooves don't seem too worn so that should be a good indicator. Since I already use .058, I don't want to go to .063 because that is hard to get locally, just like my .058. .050 is the standard here, but before I moved here, I had good luck with .058. I am not switching until I use up my bars or I find some real good deals.

Back