Winter is coming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
? so will it be here at 11:59 and 61 seconds???????????????????? and are we safe for the rest of the year???????????????????????????????????????? lol:msp_confused:

Ole man winter is more like an in-law than anything else, shows up whenever he feels like it, stays way too long, and drinks all your beer.

*At least that's who I'm blaming for the last part!

Phil, if you're tired of waiting for him, come on up and visit. He's usually around till the end of March, sometimes till May.

Yep - first day of winter and it's snowing hard here in NY. We've had a few flurries but no real snow up to this point. Been burning in the fireplace since mid October. Plenty of wood. How did Mother nature know to let it snow on the very first day of winter?

Looks like the Mayan's were wrong about the end of the world. Not too disappointed in that. If the world ended I wouldn't get to burn all that wood I cut, split and stacked. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep - first day of winter and it's snowing hard here in NY. We've had a few flurries but no real snow up to this point. Been burning in the fireplace since mid October. Plenty of wood. How did Mother nature know to let it snow on the very first day of winter?

Looks like the Mayan's were wrong about the end of the world. Not too disappointed in that. If the world ended I wouldn't get to burn all that wood I cut, split and stacked. :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh it would burn you just wouldn't get to see it.:angry2:

Ooops almost forgot went from green/brown yesterday to going on 18"+ today. Ahhhh winter.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep I saw it coming up Hwy 29 here late last night, but it really won't be here till tonight - supposed to be in the low 20's. We need it, the wood stove has been lonely its been so warm. Some days its been in the 60's. Ready to feel the chill in my bones! :msp_thumbsup:

Ol' Man Winter arrived here yesterday, on the 20th.
It's been a nice visit, but as far as I'm concerned visitors are like dead fish... after a day or two they start to stink.

Just like in-laws!!!!!!!!!!:msp_ohmy:

Last night all we received here was a light dusting of the white stuff. Then with the winds reaching 40 and 50mph, there's just a few small patches left as any evidence. We're still having flurries, but the winds have died down a bit to 25 and 30mph. I just love living in the mountains!

It looks like the next calm day here will be the 24th (high in the upper 40's to low 50's so I guess I'll wait until then to fell at least one leaner (2 are leaning towards the power lines) Then I can finish up my Holz Hausen and start on the next one.

I heard so many things that were supposed to happen today, from the world being ripped apart to it blowing up. Then the invasion of beings from another world and the Aztec Ancients were also supposed to be returning. I also heard there was to be a major land shift which would end up with half the US under water.

I was kind of hoping for a little excitement, but I guess I'll just go on with my life as usual. I'm really disappointed! :msp_razz: :hmm3grin2orange:

Its here in SE Ohio thats for sure! Loving it. 6 inches plus, big cranking fire, and pulling neighbors out of ditches. Winter is here boys finally

I was kind of hoping for a little excitement, but I guess I'll just go on with my life as usual. I'm really disappointed! :msp_razz: :hmm3grin2orange:

No excitement? Heck, just create your own. Get a 5 gallon can of fertilizer, a little...oh, wait, that's not only exciting, it's also illegal...

18" overnight.:bang:

Jeez, we got a quarter inch yesterday. It was in the 20's though.

No excitement? Heck, just create your own. Get a 5 gallon can of fertilizer, a little...oh, wait, that's not only exciting, it's also illegal...

Now where did I put that diesel fuel? Just kidding!

Still, blowing a tree out of the ground could be fun, but I think I would prefer to fell, buck, and split it myself. The pieces would be more uniform then. I suppose I could fell the tree in question which is leaning towards the power lines in the now wind gusts up to 60mph. (27 degrees to boot) The tree is only about 80 feet or so in height on a 45 degree slope about 40 feet from the power lines. It could get very exciting if the power lines would break if the tree came in contact. And if nothing else, all my neighbors would try to kill me! :msp_scared: But I think I'll save that kind of excitement for another day.

We had snow flurries again last night, but with the winds, there has been no accumulation other than a few corners the wind seems to be going around. AND so far my Holz Hausen have withstood the winds. There isn't a split out of place and that includes the one that I'm in the process of raising it's height that doesn't have a roof to speak of. Who knew they are aerodynamic too?

Oh well, maybe I can expect some excitement with the (alleged) coming Zombie Apocalypse! :msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back