Winter kill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron1956

Ron1956

ArboristSite Lurker
I have some river. Birch I planted 4 years ago and there about 15 foot high now this winter was very cold and 2 of them have about half there leaves and the others don't have any. They were healthy last fall. Should I replace them or wait this season ?? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'd wait - at least a couple more weeks. I have a weeping cherry and pawpaw that I was ready to write off 2-3 weeks ago, but they are SLOWLY coming out...there are live buds. A lot of sweet gum in the area is the same, etc, etc... Check the twigs/buds to see if they are alive or dead. Even if you did lose 50% they may bounce back in a year. If the other 2 have no green on them by now, it is pretty doubtful. How cold did it get there?

Ron1956

Ron1956

ArboristSite Lurker
I'd wait - at least a couple more weeks. I have a weeping cherry and pawpaw that I was ready to write off 2-3 weeks ago, but they are SLOWLY coming out...there are live buds. A lot of sweet gum in the area is the same, etc, etc... Check the twigs/buds to see if they are alive or dead. Even if you did lose 50% they may bounce back in a year. If the other 2 have no green on them by now, it is pretty doubtful. How cold did it get there?
It was below zero a lot and the frost was deep. I also lost five euonymus plants.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
"below zero" is a lot different than 45 below zero. River birch can take a lot of days a 5 below...but one at -45 can put the hurt on a lot of things.

We hit about -25 and a few more days between -15 and -20, and a bunch more around -10. That is cold...but trees with historical ranges in this area should be fine. Those with southern heritage may not be so happy. I suspect that is the case with my pawpaw - it was probably from a southern seed source.