Winter project. Rustic bedroom suite.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treetom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
While I've been waiting for the snow to melt, I managed to squeeze a woodworking project into my not-so-busy tree removal schedule. Just some overgrown x-mas tree I had sawn at the local mill.

Very nice indeed!! Can't buy stuff like that made out of solid wood or at least not as common anymore and I bet it is rock solid!! Looks like a nice winter project.

Very nice job... I love the look of of that wood. I'd like to know what kind of finish you put on the wood to get that nice orange-ish glow. Oil?

Thanks for all the comments. BobL: The wood is from an overgrown blue spruce, as I recall. Woodshop: The stain is MinWax Polyshades, Old Maple.

Thanks for all the comments. BobL: The wood is from an overgrown blue spruce, as I recall. Woodshop: The stain is MinWax Polyshades, Old Maple.

Very nice! I haven't tried the polyshades yet, I'll have to after looking at this though! Curious as to why the Old Maple looks so dark on the sample posted online, but your finish has a much lighter color, 'orange-ish glow' as woodshop mentioned. I like the finish on yours more, that's why I'm so curious.

Polyshades.jpg

Just like taking the same pic with two different digital cameras and having the colors differ when you look at both pics side by side, the actual color portrayed on your screen varies a lot from computer to computer depending on your computer monitor and video card... among other things. Same thing when printing a color photo as most people with printers have noticed... the colors printed out don't always look like the actual colors of that object as seen with our eyes.

Just like taking the same pic with two different digital cameras and having the colors differ when you look at both pics side by side, the actual color portrayed on your screen varies a lot from computer to computer depending on your computer monitor and video card... among other things. Same thing when printing a color photo as most people with printers have noticed... the colors printed out don't always look like the actual colors of that object as seen with our eyes.

Yeah, I've always liked how green my grass looks in pictures from the spring and summer. :)

I know what you're saying, but that's a pretty big difference isn't it? I wonder if its a goof on their part or something. Seems wierd that they have so many dark colors.

Point is, I agree, you can't rely on the screen to show you what your fiish will look like!

Beeyoot-a-ful ! Once the log house is done i want a set of the tennon makers to do log furniture......
RD

I saw something in Office Depot that calibrates your screen. It's a sensor that you hang on the monitor that samples what is shown. I think it has a set of known colors onboard that it puts on the screen and adjusts the output to match what it knows the sample colors are supposed to look like. It was upwards of a C note tho.

Ian

You did a super job with that. Polyshades can be tough to work with. I stained all the trim in the house with the Pecan. It turned out fine...but, I'll go a different route next time.

Back