Winter saw use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am running a 353 and had a question about running it in 32 degree and under temps. In my manual it states for 32 and under temps to open winter flap to prevent icing of air filter etc. Then it says for temps under 23 there is also a special cover for starter housing & a winter plug for the air nozzle. When I bought the saw, I asked one of the sales guys if I should open the flap when cold and he said, I wouldn't even worry about it with these saws.. Is this the case? Should I also use the cover & plug? Sorry for all the newbie questions just want to do it right....

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am running a 353 and had a question about running it in 32 degree and under temps. In my manual it states for 32 and under temps to open winter flap to prevent icing of air filter etc. Then it says for temps under 23 there is also a special cover for starter housing & a winter plug for the air nozzle. When I bought the saw, I asked the one of the sales guys if I should open the flap when could and he said, I wouldn't even worry about it with these saws.. Is this the case? Should I also use the cover & plug? Sorry for all the newbie questions just want to do it right....

Thanks!

my dealer told me to leave the summer covers on until i had icing problems. We ran it for 3 weeks at 20F and below, as low as 10 below zero. no issues.

Then one day it warmed up and sleeted on us, and huge icing issues, so we opened the heater, and problems over.
I think the icing is caused by large humidity at right around freezing.

When I bought my 2159, I asked the dealer somewhat the same question.

My manual said to open the winter flap under the cylinder cover as well. Of course, when I popped the cover off, it didn't have one. At least not the one like they show in the manual. It looked like they just took a rubber bushing and jammed it into the hole where the old flap used to be.

Anywho, the dealer told me not to worry about it. My guess is that the newer catalytic mufflers add plenty of extry heat to the saw as it is!

If your carb does start to ice, though...you'll know what to do!

I agree, a dry 11 deg is easier than a damp 34 degrees followed by a quick temp drop. Was cutting with the 361 yesterday evening, was 18 deg, ran fine but I will probably flip the winter/summer tab when I sharpen the blade. I did notice that in those temps, if you just set the saw down for 15min after running hard for an hour, I still need to start it the same way I started it the first time that morning, full choke, couple pulls, then half, then fires right up!

Reading the owner's manual?!! Goodness, what's gotten into you man?:eek: Seriously, just follow the advice of these other guys and run the saw as you got it unless some problem develops. Then, if you need to you can switch to "artic" set-up.

I normally open the flap when its well below -5c and when it gets below -15c il put the cover on... just remember that if you have the flap open and temp rises alot you better close it or there is change to heat seizing the engine....

And just a small adenem, when I have been forced to cut in brutally cold weather (not too often btw) its always nice to keep the ol' girl in the vehicle nice and cozy to prevent potential hot/cold metal expansion issues. I always tried to keep 'em warm and not cool off too much between cuts as I cannot see how this would do the machine any good. Now as a sworn 'non-petro' user it makes even more sense to me.
My drunken ).02$ worth for the morning.

:D

Sprig--drunk already here on a Sunday Moring?!! You Canadians! By the way, your $.02 Canadian will be valued at about $.012 here in the U.S. :D

Blis- Do you use the winter plug for the air nozzle as well? What does that do exactly? From the picture in the manual it looks as if it holds the cover on.. Thanks

Blis- Do you use the winter plug for the air nozzle as well? What does that do exactly? From the picture in the manual it looks as if it holds the cover on.. Thanks

I use it when the temps go low (below -15c), it blocks part of air intake so that the carb doesnt freeze (it sucks warm air from cylinder)... The cover got little studs that hold it on the saw...

I normally open the flap when its well below -5c and when it gets below -15c il put the cover on... just remember that if you have the flap open and temp rises alot you better close it or there is change to heat seizing the engine....

That is correct, but I usally don't use a saw in much more than minus 15 celsius.

I have never used the blue "winter covers".

That is correct, but I usally don't use a saw in much more than minus 15 celsius.

I have never used the blue "winter covers".

Its handy when sawing in powder snow or otherwise deep snow...

In AK. sometimes we would have carb icing problems. Usually right at or above freezing and raining. Start the saw and after a min or two just as you were reving it up and getting ready to go it would stall or act funny. What worked best was to just let the saw sit (not running) for a couple of min. while the heat slowly worked its way out to the carb. Then it would start and run normal.

Latest posts

Back