Winterize ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
To all fellow chainsaw enthusiasts,

It’s about time for me to put the ole horse (046) up for the winter and I’m just wondering what basic things I should be doing. I have already drained the fuel tank and ran it out of gas. The bars are all hanging in the garage along with the chains. If there is anything else I should do before I put the thing permanently up for the winter so that she runs like a devil next spring I would certainly appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you
confused

clean air filter, check or change fuel filter, replace spark plug and it should run like a champ

Sounds like you did the most important thing. (run it out of fuel )The only other thing I have heard was store it off the floor. At least 6 ft. above floor level.or I guess ground level.

I know how picky you are about cleaning the saw so I dont have to remind you of that, but another thing I do is spray the bar and chain with WD-40 and I remove the clutch cover and spray WD40 in there as well. That way it does not get any rust in there if your garage/shed is high in moisture like mine is. It is the ole Gun barrel principle--keep it oiled!!!

HUSKYMAN,

Yeap the thing is spotless (more or less) but I had forgotten the WD-40 I will go out and take care of that immediately.

Thank you to all that have responded

confused

I would put a lite coat of grease all over the bar, and let the chains soak in bar/chain oil (in an old but clean bucket) until you need them again, but thats just me.

Lane

:)

I have to caution against leaving it in a bucket. Have you ever tried to clean up a bucket full of bar/chain oil from your garage floor afetr kicking it over??? NNNAAASSSTTTYYY:angry:

If I understand correctly, you guys are taking your bars and chains off from the powerhead for winter storage. Is there anything wrong with leaving a bar and chain on the saw over the winter, or several months? If the oiler is lubricating adequately, I would assume there is enough residual oil on both bar and chain to prevent corrosion to the rails, groove, chain links, etc. Have you seen problems from leaving the cutting tools on the saw?

My current practice is to run the saw at 1/4 throttle (give or take), until the chain spits a fair amount of oil, then top off both the gas tank and oil, then store wet (using stabilized fuel mix for both storage and use). No problems so far, but if any of you have had a problem, I'd like to know, so I can evaluate what I am doing.

moisture tends to loom near the ground - especially somewhere like the garage that has a bare concrete floor. I dont know how high makes the difference.

I am just curios about putting your saws away so early.Am I the only one that likes to cut when its cold outside?

this is also true - this is the time for the saws to work - downed trees b/c snow etc... firewood...

I agree with dozerdan ! Most of us probably procrastinate, and don't cut firewood for the entire winter season, making it necessary to pull out the saw, oh about mid-winter, when you have 40" of snow on the ground. Then you're stuck with trecking the saw up the hill (w/ 40" of snow, of course), cutting up the one big log that you thought you were going to get to in Sept. (but it's now mid-Jan. !), and using the old tobagen (sp?) to get the wood down the hill with all that snow on the ground. I know there are probably 100 reasons why not to do all of the above, and just store the saw for the winter, BUT I USE MINE ALL YEAR ROUND.

Good point, Dozerdan...

I live in the South, where we hardly get any snow. I would think that up north, you would want your fuel wood cut early and cured before the snow comes...but I am only assuming....???? I never "winterize"...i play with my saws all year round, even if I just start them to hear them buzz for a few minutes (call me crazy)...

Lane

:eek:

No I dont burn any of that cured wood,I only use the fresh cut stuff.I have an outside wood burner so creosote isn't a problem and green wood lasts longer in it.
I never seem to have time in the fall to get in enough wood for the year,so I end up cutting all winter.I am a self employed excavator and work 6 days a week until the ground freezes.Then I cut timber off my land,sell the logs and cut up the tops for fire wood.Last winter I cut,spit and delivered 67 dump truck loads of fire wood.And that doesn't include the 14 loads of wood I used for my house and garage.If you have a full time job in the winter you might want to think twice about an outside burner,they do eat wood.
Dan

Along the lines of cutting wood in the winter: is it my imagination, or is it fact that downed wood will freeze solid, given low enough temperatures, thus dulling your chain very quickly ?

Latest posts

Back