Winterize ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bdzimmerman,

Its true that wood can freeze. But thats what those multi-hundred dollar carbide chains are for which cut through froozen wood like butter. I was a machinist for a die shop for three years and carbide cutting tools is what we used to cut steel. Carbide cuts steel like its butter. The only problem with carbide is it is very brittle and will shatter on occasion. So given a few hundred dollars worth of chain with carbide tips froozen wood beware.

confused

Winterize, Heavier coats

I thought that ment putting on the coverals and a heavy coat and keep on going!!! My logs here in central oregon are currently under 15 inches of fresh snow! They are in decks, Last week we had monsoon rains :angry: and wow what a job to work in. The rains are now snow we are having one doozy of a winter so far. Firewood prices are at an all time high, good thing cuz my butt's cold and wet! I realize 15 ins. is nothing compared to other places but for here it is a lot at one time. I am so sick of my trucks getting stuck in my own yard. I busted road the other day with my 1 ton with 2 cord of wood on for weight and still had trouble, wet snow is nasty.:angry: Jonsey is doing fine, melts out of sight and keeps on going I end up cutting all winter every winter cuz that is when the money is good, although 30 below tends to slow me down, not as young as used to be.:cool: Oh yeah frozen wood is a destroyer of chains. Sap will freeze and logs that have become waterlogged are like cutting asphalt, been there done that don't want no more of them t shirts!

Last edited:
wish we could all afford carbide chains - had a circular saw blade retoothed (15 teeth) and cost $50 - carbide kicks the butt but its not the best value!!! a chain will cost over a $100??????!!!!! they chip also - easily when hitting anything but something soft - so no the value is not there - unless you are a firefighter and speed is of the essence - ie. life. for the rest of us, 10 chains versus one will be a self explanatory question unless you are trying to cut steel fence posts with a chain saw..

Hey Tundraotto, I sold some firewood the other day to a retired L.A. firefighter and he was telling me about carbide chain. Great for cutting through roofs but not so good for cutting trees. He tried it, didn't work at all. And very spendy your right:D

yes wendell, couldnt agree with you more - firefighters must cut through electric wires, nails etc, when cutting a vent on the roof... i would want to be done quickly!!!!! - i would not want to be there without a carbide chain - so im glad the people who do need it have the option of not sticking around for any longer out there in harms way for any longer than they have to.

for the rest of us, like i (and you) said, normal chain is really the better value - more oaks get cut with oregon & stihl ex.... than any specialty chains - stick with what works!!!

i have had driends that have used that inject a shard carbide chain. and they say it works pretty good and it stays sharp pretty well.

Tundraotto we do cut the power to the house before cutting through wires luckily:D . We had a old K-12 circular saw but just took del of a Jonsered carbide chain saw and I am thinking about setting my house on fire just to try her out:rolleyes: It has no model no. but I think its about the size of a 357XP. Has a cool adjustable sheath on the bar to set cutting depth also. I dont know if the chain has to be redone after each cutting but I assume so. I will let you know if we ever get a fire, I live in a pretty small township.

Depend on if I'm paying or getting payed :D. I've gone to a pro grinder that specializes in this stuff, not a engine shop that sidelines in sharpening. Volumes of scale.

Latest posts

Back