Wiseco Piston and Hybrid Ceramic Bearings from Dominant Saws for 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always understood forged pistons to expand more than cast pistons as well. That's why you have to size the bore a little larger for a forged piston, otherwise they'll scuff and/or seize.

I also noticed they mentioned "hypueretic" as well. I thought that was a higher quality cast piston, kind of the strength of forged without the expansion concerns.

Were you referring to the Wiseco pistons from Baileys? I had multiple issues with those myself. I ended up pitching them in the recycle bin. Those obviously weren't speced right. I'm not going to pin that completely on Wiseco.

Your regular cast piston is considered a eutectic piston. The hypereutectic pistons are also cast pistons but "hyper" (over) eutectic is a terminology that describes the metallurgic composition of the aluminum alloy on a molecular level.

Its kind of like mixing sugar in water in the fact that the water can become saturated with sugar to the point it wont dissolve any more sugar and any additional will remain granular at the bottom of the glass as a separate form, non homogeneous. Hypereutectic is used to define the percentage of silicon (primarily) in the alloy. The advantage of hypereutectic is light weight and low expansion but the disadvantage is they are brittle and don't take well to detonation.

Regarding strength, forged materials take the cake. The disadvantage to forged pistons is they have a higher density and internal stress so they expand more.

My negative experience with Wiseco was with snowmobile engines. It would have been a lot cheaper if it was with chainsaws. Unfortunately they were the only ones making a piston for that motor at the time so our hands were tied. It wasn't until later we learned the OEM had another piston in a new sled that was plug and play.

That confirms what I thought, meaning that the following sentence is a contradiction of terms, correct?

"The hypereutectic forged pistons, are lighter, have lower thermal expansion, are better balanced, and boost compression by 20psi."
That statement is incorrect.

My old Chevy with the Vortec 5.7 v-8 has these hyperutectic pistons and now has 295,000 miles, still uses no oil on original engine, never been apart.
GM really improved the ring package they put on those pistons and made improvements in the metal of the cylinders. They just don't wear like the old ones did.

I have ran many Wiseco pistons over the years with good luck. I always set them up on the generous side clearance wise.

I will say that their single ring GP pistons when used in mx bikes last significantly less long than their dual ring pro-life counter parts.

GM really improved the ring package they put on those pistons and made improvements in the metal of the cylinders. They just don't wear like the old ones did.

The entire engine was improved......modernized......clearances tightened...not your dads Cheby........I runs a 4.3 6 cyl MPI fuel injected Vortec in my off shore boat......42 mph by GPS.......not a fast hull.....65 lbs oil pressure @ 3000 rpm..hot....liking it.....

The entire engine was improved......modernized......clearances tightened...not your dads Cheby........I runs a 4.3 6 cyl MPI fuel injected Vortec in my off shore boat......42 mph by GPS.......not a fast hull.....65 lbs oil pressure @ 3000 rpm..hot....liking it.....

I just personally built my own 5.7L Vortec for my '84 K10 pickup and so far it's been a good motor. The short block was a junkyard motor and was in great shape. It has fantastic oil pressure. I had to ask my machinist if 60 psi was abnormal lol.

My old Chevy with the Vortec 5.7 v-8 has these hyperutectic pistons and now has 295,000 miles, still uses no oil on original engine, never been apart.

Interesting! I have an '02 Suburban with the 5300 series Vortec & has 347,000 mi & has never burned a drop of oil. My previous one was a 5.7L which was a 350cu in. but not a Vortec. The 5300 series is about 325cu in., I believe. I thought that the next size up from the 5300 was a 6000 which should be around 400cu in.? Anyway, that many miles with that kind of performance is very impressive. If some of the reason for that is eutectic pistons, it sure speaks well for them! Oh yeah, mine has pulled a small horse trailer through some tough terrain (mountains of W.Va., Va., Tenn., & NC.) for 50,000 of those miles!:)

I don't normally work on saws on week nights, but was anxious to see this 2171 ported. So, I tackled the job last night and finished it up this evening. WOW!!!! I do believe this is the strongest 70cc class saw I've ever built. This thing is just insane! It make ridiculous RPMs and pulls like a mule. I love it! I think I have a new favorite saw :)

Wow. Now what part of that do you attribute to the piston and bearings? Skeptical as I was about how those pieces would contribute, it's really hauling ass so it's hard to argue.

I don't normally work on saws on week nights, but was anxious to see this 2171 ported. So, I tackled the job last night and finished it up this evening. WOW!!!! I do believe this is the strongest 70cc class saw I've ever built. This thing is just insane! It make ridiculous RPMs and pulls like a mule. I love it! I think I have a new favorite saw :)

That thing is screaming. Sounds amazing too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I got to put a couple tanks through this saw Saturday. It ran fantastic with no issues at all. Compression is now about 192 PSI. The saw is wearing a 28" B&C with full comp Stihl RS chain. The wood is Shag Bark Hickory. I apologize for the poor video quality. It came from a friends cell phone.

The new 1/2 wrap handle and filter cover came today.

2171_1-L.jpg

2171_2-L.jpg

2171_3-L.jpg

Latest posts

Back