Wiseco piston update from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got weights recorded from early and late OEM, Meteor, etc pistons for the 066. Before and after any porting and machine work. I'm going to get one of these Wisco pistons ordered now, but me think's it's going to be heavy.... we'll see. I was guessing $125 for a price, and I see it's pretty close to that. Now I wonder about the wrist pin and clips?

i would have considered this but my two 044 to 460 conversions run so well that i hate to attempt improving a perfectly good saw.

i don't know if i qualify for "hard use" anymore. back in the day around 5 to 16 chords of wood a working day.

now days i cut around six to ten chords a week when i am cutting firewood. i cut firewood around four to five months a year.

I don't know if this applies with saws so much, but as a general rule with Wiseco's in sleds you have to let them warm up much longer than a stock piston. Because they are forged and not cast they expand faster than the cylinder. If you start it up and don't let it warm up properly the piston has a much higher chance of cold seizing.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :cheers:

If they ship and your labor, its almost as cheap to do it them selves ....

:agree2:
Thats the problem, I considered my 044 but with labor and shipping I could do an oem one myself. I think its a fair deal for someone that can not do it themselves. Im sure someone will bite.

I run my 066 hard (milling), but my OEM jug has a couple of flakes in the plating and just got a newbie woods port, so it doesn't meet your qualifications. Plus, I need a pop-up.

I appreciate Bailey's giving us more piston options, but personally I'm not attracted to a forged piston. In the automotive world, forged pistons are normally used for extremely high compression or extreme RPMs. At factory RPMs and lame factory compression ratios, I don't see what a forged piston is going to do for you. It's still going to melt if you get an air leak or bad gas.

What I would like to see offered for the 066/660, and this deserves another thread, is a Woodland Pro cast pop-up piston with slightly wider skirts. That way Joe Average could put a pop-up in his saw without having to machine anything. The wider skirts would provide more wiggle room for wider ports.

Now back to Brad's Wiseco thread ......... :)

:agree2:
Thats the problem, I considered my 044 but with labor and shipping I could do an oem one myself. I think its a fair deal for someone that can not do it themselves. Im sure someone will bite.

Yes for the guy that can drive a couple miles and have it done its a good deal........

The first ones are in. It's time for some testing. As you may know, I don't get to run my saws a lot. Many of you do. What I'm looking for are individuals that are high hour volume users that could run these new pistons for some durability testing. What would happen, is you would send your saw to me for installation. I will be doing fit and finish evaluation on these piston. The piston is free to you. You only pay me $50 labor and shipping both ways.

I need one each of the following saws. 372, 044/440, 046/460, or 066/660. They are all standard bore. These are direct factory replacements with no performance enhancing features. However, they are forged and should be more durable. I'm only interested in saws that are currently in perfect running condition. No exceptions. I'm not looking to rebuild anyones saws in this deal. Please be honest with me.

If you fit this description and are interested, please send me a PM. At the current time, I am only looking for one of each model.

Brad apparently AS has caused you to loose your mind. That is about the most insane offer I've ever seen on AS. Brad how about you pay for the use of these saws since your the one that needs them for testing, your deal is azz backwards. I will give ya this, thats the best swindle out in the open I think I've ever seen,LOL

Here I always thought anyone in the know about chainsaws knew that wiseco made chainsaw pistons. Old news . :dizzy: :confused:

Sir I do wonder about the weight of oem compared to the wiseco and how the wrist pins weigh in comparison to each other too. :cheers:

Brad apparently AS has caused you to loose your mind. That is about the most insane offer I've ever seen on AS. Brad how about you pay for the use of these saws since your the one that needs them for testing, your deal is azz backwards. I will give ya this, thats the best swindle out in the open I think I've ever seen,LOL

How do you figure? I don't stand to benefit or loose if these pistons sink or swim. Remember, it's not me that wants these tested. I'm just offering my service to help get them tested. I'm not being paid by Baileys to do this. I'm just not going to install them for free on someone elses saw. That's all.

How do you figure? I don't stand to benefit or loose if these pistons sink or swim. Remember, it's not me that wants these tested. I'm just offering my service to help get them tested. I'm not being paid by Baileys to do this. I'm just not going to install them for free on someone elses saw. That's all.

Brad apparently you must think people are stupid. Why isn't your piston supplier supplying the saws and paying you, any idea???

Yeah, but if the "test" doesn't go so good, then who's on the hook for the formerly "perfect running condition" cylinder that the piston just ruined?

Brad apparently you must think people are stupid. Why isn't your piston supplier supplying the saws and paying you, any idea???

That easy to figure out Tom. Because I'm free. But I'm fine with that. I keep the parts I test for them, but they're not paying me for my services. That's good enough for a hobbiest like me. So what's your point?

Yeah, but if the "test" doesn't go so good, then who's on the hook for the formerly "perfect running condition" cylinder that the piston just ruined?

:agree2::agree2:

Is Brad going too fix it for free and pay shipping both ways ....Thats why I asked about a recipt .....

That would certainly be a concern. Admittedly, I hadn't thought of that, and should have. All I can say, is that Baileys has always stood by their product in the past. I don't expect that to change now.

That easy to figure out Tom. Because I'm free. But I'm fine with that. I keep the parts I test for them, but they're not paying me for my services. That's good enough for a hobbiest like me. So what's your point?

My point is simple, you want someone else to supply the saws, ones in perfect running condition so you can play with Baileys pistons and you want the saw supplier to pay you to support your hobby, ha, you can't be serious. Why don't you use your own saws for that. Also by chance you fry someones saw are you buying a new OEM kit and putting it back on for them,hmmmm.

Brad, Baileys can play you for a fool but don't ask anyone to pay you because they won't..

Back