Wiseco piston update from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$25 ship there $25 ship back, $50 labor install = $100 + down time on saw and taking chance in the shipping. :dizzy:

Buy new piston for $129 and save the hassle. :monkey:

No way in :censored: I would ship a perfectly good saw to someone to install a piston just so they can see at my EXPENSE. :dizzy: Can you see SUCKER on your foreheads people. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My point is simple, you want someone else to supply the saws, ones in perfect running condition so you can play with Baileys pistons and you want the saw supplier to pay you to support your hobby, ha, you can't be serious. Why don't you use your own saws for that. Also by chance you fry someones saw are you buying a new OEM kit and putting it back on for them,hmmmm.

Brad, Baileys can play you for a fool but don't ask anyone to pay you because they won't..

That's not the way it is Tom. I thought someone might like to have a forged Wiseco piston in their saw. Plain and simple. No agenda. This wasn't a scheme for me to make money. If you, meaning anyone, isn't interested in having one of these put in your saw, then ignore the post. It really is that simple.

The only saw I have with a stock OEM bore of the models listed is a 460. I have no problem at all putting one these in it, and plan on doing so.

I MAY consider it, if Baileys gives me a $50 credit to cover your labor. It is a gamble any way.... I doubt it, but what if these pistons don't perform as well as an oem? Everybody knows oem pistons are proven winners. Are the rings thinner than oem, 1mm maybe?

Brad, it's really not a cool idea.

First, the numbers don't really work too good. Two way shipping plus $50 to you means a more than $100 for the saw owner.

But the problem is mostly because you need the test saws to be in near new condition. It's just not realistic for a guy to pay $100 to tear apart a $700 saw in perfect working order to take part in this type of test. Nobody is going to take that risk.

On the otherhand, if you wanted dead saws where you could clean up the cylinder, or if Baileys had a complete p&C kit that could be used, you'd have more saws than you could handle. :cheers:

That's not the way it is Tom. I thought someone might like to have a forged Wiseco piston in their saw. Plain and simple. No agenda. This wasn't a scheme for me to make money. If you, meaning anyone, isn't interested in having one of these put in your saw, then ignore the post. It really is that simple.

The only saw I have with a stock OEM bore of the models listed is a 460. I have no problem at all putting one these in it, and plan on doing so.

No scheme for money, whats the 50.00 about?? $50.00 for you to have your fun, I don't think so.

Brad why in the world would I or anyone want to send you a perfectly running 660 and pay you to tear it apart so you can test some piston. In return I get to keep the piston, and you want me to pay shipping too, man you gotta be kidding, what about the use of the saw Brad, does that account for anything? Is that Bailey piston really going to perform any better than the OEM piston you took out, not hardly and you know it.

You wanna pimp for Baileys you should ask them for a company car and yeah, maybe some testing saws. Hell don't they have chainsaws, why I think they do. Why I bet they could test those pistons themselves and cut you out altogether but hey how often can a company get a saleman for the price of a piston. Get real Brad, your not fooling anyone...

Last edited:
[snip]
but me think's it's going to be heavy.... we'll see.
[snip]

That's why I'd like to see some weights.

That was the stumbling block years ago with their kart pistons, they just weren't competitive with the OE Italian pistons in weight and when the engines we were running were spinning at 18,000RPM or so under load, it makes a difference.

It's different with Lee's 166 pistons, you can't get OE pistons anymore so it makes runners out of a lot of 166's that would've become paper weights or door stops.

Forged is denser so must be heavier unless they run thinner section.
Forged pistons used to have a higher expansion rate which to me would be an issue in a 2 stroke such as a chainsaw.
So many people don't give adequate warm up.
My old 350 Chevy used to rattle till warmed up, lol.
They brought out the hyperutectic piston to reduce these expansion rates.

Yeah, but if the "test" doesn't go so good, then who's on the hook for the formerly "perfect running condition" cylinder that the piston just ruined?

Legally, the saw owner is on the hook. If someone's saw is ruined, that person can only be compensated for the value of the deficient part (the piston.) And said piston is FREE!!!

I'd be happy to try, but my MS660 isn't going to see any heavy use soon.

Hat's off to Brad for a great offer...

Brad, it's really not a cool idea.

First, the numbers don't really work too good. Two way shipping plus $50 to you means a more than $100 for the saw owner.

But the problem is mostly because you need the test saws to be in near new condition. It's just not realistic for a guy to pay $100 to tear apart a $700 saw in perfect working order to take part in this type of test. Nobody is going to take that risk.

On the otherhand, if you wanted dead saws where you could clean up the cylinder, or if Baileys had a complete p&C kit that could be used, you'd have more saws than you could handle. :cheers:

Now Tom, this is how a gentleman speaks. Spike's saying about the same thing as you, but is a lot less caustic:cheers: And you know what, I think you're right Spike. Should have put a little more though into the liability aspect of this offer.

The saws don't need to be near new, just in perfect running condition. Maybe even one that's due for a new piston. I just don't want someone sending me their problem saw. Been there done that:(

Legally, the saw owner is on the hook. If someone's saw is ruined, that person can only be compensated for the value of the deficient part (the piston.) And said piston is FREE!!!

I'd be happy to try, but my MS660 isn't going to see any heavy use soon.

Hat's off to Brad for a great offer...

Get that 660 in the mail man, surely you can't refuse a offer like that, your just the man he was fishing for,LOL

Get that 660 in the mail man, surely you can't refuse a offer like that, your just the man he was fishing for,LOL

If it needed a piston, I'd go for it! But, It's durn near new!

I see your point, I'd rather install it myself, run it for 6 month, then...??? well, how does the testing end???

If they ship and your labor, its almost as cheap to do it them selves ....

Yep, its too expensive. Or I would send my 044 just because I know the quality of Wiseco. Used them in the mini sprints and my uncle still uses them in his sprint car.

I might contact Baileys and see if I can conduct my own "test".

Now Tom, this is how a gentleman speaks. Spike's saying about the same thing as you, but is a lot less caustic:cheers: And you know what, I think you're right Spike. Should have put a little more though into the liability aspect of this offer.

The saws don't need to be near new, just in perfect running condition. Maybe even one that's due for a new piston. I just don't want someone sending me their problem saw. Been there done that:(

Well Brad I personally see no need to talk to a swindler like a gentleman. You must have gull running out your hiny if you really think someone can't see through what your offering. Its ok though, continue fishing, Baileys found a sucker, I guess you can too, no hard feelings I hope, have a cold one,:cheers::cheers:

If it needed a piston, I'd go for it! But, It's durn near new!

I see your point, I'd rather install it myself, run it for 6 month, then...??? well, how does the testing end???

Testing, what testing. Testing, real testing requires about a 1000 hours of run time, lets see, 1000 divided by 40 hours a week, hmmmm should get the saw back in 25 weeks. So lets see, rental shops charge about 65-75.00 a day for the use of a saw so lets see, 65.00 a day x 5 is 325.00 a week times 25 weeks comes out to $8,125.00. Now who is getting a deal,LOLOL

The first ones are in. It's time for some testing. As you may know, I don't get to run my saws a lot. Many of you do. What I'm looking for are individuals that are high hour volume users that could run these new pistons for some durability testing. What would happen, is you would send your saw to me for installation. I will be doing fit and finish evaluation on these piston. The piston is free to you. You only pay me $50 labor and shipping both ways.

I need one each of the following saws. 372, 044/440, 046/460, or 066/660. They are all standard bore. These are direct factory replacements with no performance enhancing features. However, they are forged and should be more durable. I'm only interested in saws that are currently in perfect running condition. No exceptions. I'm not looking to rebuild anyones saws in this deal. Please be honest with me.

If you fit this description and are interested, please send me a PM. At the current time, I am only looking for one of each model.

Something doesn't sound right here. Why can't Bailey's install the pistons themselves, they have a service department. Why don't they send them directly to the end user? No offense Brad, but I don't think you have any official chainsaw certification from Husqvarna or Stihl. Sending a "perfectly running" saw to a saw enthusiast doesn't sound on the up and up for a piston replacement.

Are you going to make me start calling you names again?:cheers:

Brad you can call me anything you want but there is one thing you can't call me and thats wrong. You know and I know your offer is so bogus a child could see through it. Now proceed on with name calling, just don't holler "mods close this thread" when I open up on ya, ya hear me,LOLOL

Brad you can call me anything you want but there is one thing you can't call me and thats wrong. You know and I know your offer is so bogus a child could see through it. Now proceed on with name calling, just don't holler "mods close this thread" when I open up on ya, ya hear me,LOLOL

Well I guess I am a little late to this party. :)

Back