Wished I had me one of then new fangledy diesel pick ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkfxr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The ole 54 is getting pretty tired. This is one of three loads that came from a coworkers house. He had a tree company take down a 38" white oak beside the house that had been hit by lightening a couple of years ago and was dying. The top limbs were falling on his house. This is the last load of just limbs with a couple of the butt end blocks in the bottom of the trailer.
P6120188.jpg

Nice haul! Now take that money you're not spending on propane and go buy that truck a 502 crate motor. She looks in good shape yet.

+1 i would repower that workhorse, the cost of a newer diesel would be silly if u already have a good truck. i dont know about the 454 but i did drive a truck with a 460 and it had alot of balls.

If the body is solid, I wouldn't hesitate a second to put a fresh motor in that truck. In a well equiped shop, you could get it done in a day. The cost of new trucks is stupid, and diesels after 2006 are so loaded with emissions that the mileage is horrible. My dream truck would be a 2005 F350 DRW, powered by a 12 valve Cummins mated to a NV6500.

+1 i would repower that workhorse, the cost of a newer diesel would be silly if u already have a good truck. i dont know about the 454 but i did drive a truck with a 460 and it had alot of balls.

My Dad was the General Manager at Holman-Moody in the 1960's, Him and another guy designed the Ford 460, when chevy came out with the 454 ford needed to compete so they made the 460...(Just a little useless trivia) didn't mean to hijack the thread.....

Last edited:
I had a 98 GMC 2500 that had the 454 Vortec and I wanna tell you sumpin bubba........that gal had some TORQUE! :clap:
The thing was a real treat to drive empty, it was a 4600 pound hot rod.

I had a 98 GMC 2500 that had the 454 Vortec and I wanna tell you sumpin bubba........that gal had some TORQUE! :clap:
The thing was a real treat to drive empty, it was a 4600 pound hot rod.

Comeon! They weigh more than that. 4by 4? Hell a sedan weighs at least 3.

The ole 54 is getting pretty tired. This is one of three loads that came from a coworkers house. He had a tree company take down a 38" white oak beside the house that had been hit by lightening a couple of years ago and was dying. The top limbs were falling on his house. This is the last load of just limbs with a couple of the butt end blocks in the bottom of the trailer.
P6120188.jpg

I would say if nothing is broken or verifiably worn out then it needs cleaned out inside. Gummed valves, restricted cat, worn timing chain, maybe a tune up? There is no such thing as a tired motor, there is a such thing as broken motor.

A 1/2 ton 4x4 is gonna wiegh in around 6 or more.

88 K1500 8' bed reg cab v-8 goes across the scales at 4700.

Bloated cityboy crew cabs with a gazillion options, bling hanging all over them, etc will weigh more, but hey we're talking work trucks here.

I wished i had the money they cost, They have priced theirselves out of my driveway.lol 50,000 is too much for me, Guess i'll have to keep the old Cummins.

Yep, been weighing the cost diffference in a new truck and a new engine for quiet some time. $50,000 for a truck is just stupid, $6000 for a drop in 502 crate engine....hurts, but doable.

how many MPG you gettin like that?

Empty, 10-11 mpg....loaded like in the picture, 8-10 mpg. I've seen it as low as 7 mpg with a scaled gross of 15,780#. It's a throttle bodied engine with a 5 speed and 4.10 gears.

A 1/2 ton 4x4 is gonna wiegh in around 6 or more.

This one is a 2500HD and scales right at #6000 empty with a full tank (36 gal.) of fuel.

I would say if nothing is broken or verifiably worn out then it needs cleaned out inside. Gummed valves, restricted cat, worn timing chain, maybe a tune up? There is no such thing as a tired motor, there is a such thing as broken motor.

I know the cat's no stopped up, that happened one time, also had a baffle fall down inside the muffler. Maybe I should rephrase tired to worn out. She's been towed to death for the entire 204,000 miles on the clock, still does everything that I ask of her, just not as fast as she used to.Hmmmmm, kinda like me.

If you got one of them "new fandangledy diesel pickups", the next thing we'd know you'd be wantin' a bigger trailer. :cheers:

Andy

Yeah, you're right. It never seems to stop. I stopped to look at a 7 X 16 gooseneck dump trailer on the way home with this load of wood. Just happened to be driving by the trailer dealer lot and it was sitting out front. Only another mere $10,000.

Now if you had a Ford, I have a neighbor with a 94 or 95 non turbo diesel with the trans and all he wants to get rid of. I have been trying to think of a use for it, but haven't come up with anything right now.

I would swap out the engine. I looked and drooled at the 2500 with the diesel, but couldn't justify the 50,000 price tag. I needed to upgrade my old truck and I needed the crew cab to get the kids around too. I ended up with a 1500 with the heavy towing package to be able to tow 9500#, will handle my trailer just fine. Plus I saved $20,000 over the 2500 diesel. Didn't need it that bad...

Most people that buy diesel trucks around here don't even use them for what they are made for. Heard one guy say it just sounded cool so he bought it. shoot... The new ones don't even make any noise. They silenced them because of epa and the whining of all the buyers that just ride around in them. I like to hear one rattle. Mines noisy and gonna stay that way.

Diesel isn;t that great. My power stroke has ha a max of 13mpg for me. It has also been as low as 7.2 towing my kiln back from NH. This is a F-550. The truck is heavy and low geared. I usually average 10. I would rather have the 454 and get a little less mpg. Look at what it costs to repair diesels. 2k just for injectors in a power stroke. I wish my ford had a 12v.

Scott

Diesel isn;t that great. My power stroke has ha a max of 13mpg for me. It has also been as low as 7.2 towing my kiln back from NH. This is a F-550. The truck is heavy and low geared. I usually average 10. I would rather have the 454 and get a little less mpg. Look at what it costs to repair diesels. 2k just for injectors in a power stroke. I wish my ford had a 12v.

Scott
My cummins will get real close to twenty empty, My 460 Ford will get 10 downhill on a good day. The cummins will out pull the 460 too. Now it's not really a good comparison though cause the ford is an 88 model and the cummins is a 2000 model. I hear ya on the 12 valve, best motor made.

Back