Wished I had me one of then new fangledy diesel pick ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem with a Gasser is its inability to get out of its own way. There's nothing like the effortless power of diesel. I'm gonna roll the dice that the pump is the vp44 electronic wonder found on the 24V? Make sure your lift pump is up to snuff. I don't mess with dodge but I've heard horror stories about their lift pumps. My buddy has one and Its yet to make the trip from NM to Colorado because last time he tried the lift pump blew its guts out half way up Raton pass. Its worth a look and good luck.

Bullittman
Yup, I don't have the stock lift pump. Did away with that a while ago. Fass fuel system. At least it let me get it home before it crapped out cause we was out of town.

The only problem with a Gasser is its inability to get out of its own way. There's nothing like the effortless power of diesel. I'm gonna roll the dice that the pump is the vp44 electronic wonder found on the 24V? Make sure your lift pump is up to snuff. I don't mess with dodge but I've heard horror stories about their lift pumps. My buddy has one and Its yet to make the trip from NM to Colorado because last time he tried the lift pump blew its guts out half way up Raton pass. Its worth a look and good luck.

Bullittman

Talk about not being able to get out of it's own way... I used to work at a place that had a C60 Chevrolet with a 18' flat bed for a delivery truck. It had a 305 with a 2 barrel and governors in it. Now that was sad, even with a two speed drive axle. It was real embarrassing to get passed by loaded semis on long uphill grades like you were backing up. I often wondered what the GM engineers were thinking when they done that. I've driven many C60's over the years with 366's and 427's and they were real pullers but a 305... gimme a break.

Talk about not being able to get out of it's own way... I used to work at a place that had a C60 Chevrolet with a 18' flat bed for a delivery truck. It had a 305 with a 2 barrel and governors in it. Now that was sad, even with a two speed drive axle. It was real embarrassing to get passed by loaded semis on long uphill grades like you were backing up. I often wondered what the GM engineers were thinking when they done that. I've driven many C60's over the years with 366's and 427's and they were real pullers but a 305... gimme a break.

The old International 345 for a gas engine had lots of torque. It would eat up big block chevy's. I used to pull combines and haul wheat. It was simply amazing how much power that engine put out.

A 305 in a big truck? WOW. I didn't think a 305 made enough power to pull SH!# out a sick elephant, much less move a large truck.

After owning several different diesel trucks it all boils down to what the truck's primary use will be. Chevy is obviously curtailing to the occasional towers who want a quiet, clean burning truck, that rides smooth, is easy to get in and out of, and will tow a 5th wheel occasionally...great truck for that. If you need a plow truck, tow monster, all around work truck...I believe the Cummins is the way to go. My 99 7.3L Powerstroke was a great compromise of both and, to date, the best truck I have ever owned! I had to replace the typical wear items that you would experience with 280,000 miles of abuse, but the engine, transmission, transfer case, even the u-joints in the driveshaft were untouched. It needed glow plugs, a new oil pan, power steering pump and a few other odds and ends, but it was still a great truck and still looked good.

My new Dodge, on the other hand, has a great engine and transmission, but the rest of the truck doesn't come close to the quality of my 99 Ford. Dodge now has about $20,000 into warranty work and it goes in again this week. Last week, at 34,500 miles it received all new front axle guts and a new rear driveshaft, and, of course, the computer was flashed again. Now my fuel mileage is UP TO 13 mpg from 10.5. All of the new emissions junk is ridiculous. Our politicians decided that it is better to burn 30% more fuel to get approximately 5% less emissions. One new turbo, two new exhaust systems, countless flashes and axle parts....the list goes on. I am not going to be able to afford the truck once it gets out of warranty. The 6.7L Cummins is faster, quieter, and tows better (all around better engine) than my 7.3L but at what expense? Another point, the Dodge's price tag was $15,000 less than the Ford's, and, when I bought it, the new Ford diesel wasn't out yet. If I had to do it again today, I would have to buy the Ford. You get what you pay for.

After Ford gets done fixing all of the little glitches in the their new diesel, it will be the truck to get hands down. They stole all of the technology from BMW on their latest engine, now they just have to get up to speed on getting it to work right and to last 300,000 miles.

My point being, the new diesels are getting harder and more expensive to own and the fuel mileage is not good. For a work truck that no longer has a warranty, strongly consider a 99-02,03 7.3L truck or an older 12V Cummins (my old 12V, once the tranny was built, was a great truck for towing, just slow in city traffic) if you have to have a diesel.

You got a fuel pressure gauge in it?
If I could only have one gauge in my dodge, that would be the one I'd want.

Andy
Yes, The fass fuel system is putting out 22 pounds pressure, But no fuel to the injectors. The first pic is the fuel gauge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back