Wished I had me one of then new fangledy diesel pick ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would DEFINATELY keep that chevy junkfxr. The fact that it's a 5 speed manual is a real find now that all the manufacturers are making all the damn trucks automatics. They can keep their powderpuff automatics. I prefer to have complete control over my vehicle with a standard transmission. But I guess standard transmissions haven't been standard for many years now. My daily driver is a 5 speed tacoma, but I have a project truck. It's a 1990 chevy shortbed half ton w/ a 5 speed& a 383 crate motor. I have to put the front end back on and redo the clutch&brake lines. I can't tell you how difficult it was to find a shortbed 5 speed chevy. I mean MONTHS of searching. So as I said, think twice before selling that truck. They don't make 'em like that anymore unfortunately.:cheers:

I got to work on my newfangled last week. :cry::cry::cry:

The wires burned themselves up in the engine. 7.3 with 165K. :cry::cry::cry:

88 K1500 8' bed reg cab v-8 goes across the scales at 4700.

Bloated cityboy crew cabs with a gazillion options, bling hanging all over them, etc will weigh more, but hey we're talking work trucks here.

91 F250 , 4by4 , 351 ,5 sp , reg cab , 8ft box , 5100lbs on the scale .

Because then they wouldn't be able to charge you to take the whole danged thing apart again to put in new plugs!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: They won't be charging me for that anyway. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

What you need is a clean 7.3 SUPERDUTY to replace the old chevy. Just make sure it has the 6 speed. You couldn't pay me to mess with a ford auto, otherwise the 99-early 03 SUPERDUTYs are brilliant. Don't let all the internet hype scare you about the HEUI fuel system. The 7.3 is a simple tractor motor that a trained monkey could work on. Mine has almost 200K and its an ex-commercial truck of some kind. Burns no oil, original injectors as far as I can tell, original turbo and everything else seems factory. Just make sure you get one with out any kind of a programmer or mods. With anything reliability and durability go out the window when you modify them. I get 17-18 MPG empty driving across town and the worst I've seen was 14 with the camper in the back and a monster head wind. Once you go diesel power you will never go back. There is nothing better than an engine that makes max power at 2,000 RPM. You NEED a 7.3.

Bullittman

Linkey: spot the shop truck
Yea they are TOUGH.

:agree2: Those older powerstrokes are killer. Had one in high-school but sold it before going to college. One of the stupidest things I've ever done!!

My 1999 f-550 4x4 is a pig and sucks fuel. Yes the truck can really handle the weight but it sucks fuel and it doesn't tow as good as a cummins. Yes I have the 6 speed. I love the way the truck drives but I don;t like the engine.
I guess when your use to driving the best (cummins diesels) for a long time it sets you up for failure. I wish Dodge would have made a 550 a while back so I could afford one. They still cost to much.

Scott

I bought a diesel 2005 F-250 4 door long bed for $14,200. Yes, it has the 6.0 motor. The truck belonged to the Wienkel distributing company, so tons of highway miles. Good deals are out there for diesel pickups, you just have to look a little bit. It will pull anything that I strap on behind it, and gets 15-16mpg. Buy a diesel, you will never go back to a gas motor.

Here is a pic of my truck and my oldest and youngest helpers. We could have got more in the truck, but the four wheeler had to go cutting.:cheers:

woodcutting.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a diesel 2005 F-250 4 door long bed for $14,200. Yes, it has the 6.0 motor. The truck belonged to the Wienkel distributing company, so tons of highway miles. Good deals are out there for diesel pickups, you just have to look a little bit. It will pull anything that I strap on behind it, and gets 15-16mpg. Buy a diesel, you will never go back to a gas motor.

Here is a pic of my truck and my oldest and youngest helpers. We could have got more in the truck, but the four wheeler had to go cutting.:cheers:

woodcutting.jpg

As a former 6.0L owner, stand by for failure of, but not limited to, egr cooler, head gaskets, glow plugs, glow plug wiring harness, glow plug controller, oil pump-high pressure, oil pump-low pressure, etc. Other than that they are a really nice truck.

Funny thing: I was just thinking the other day of taking my trucks down to the steel dump to see what they weighed. Friday the dump burnt down.
If you pull into one of those Penndot weigh stations empty is there a charge? Maybe I should just stay away from there alltogether?

I spent quiet a few years in a Kenworth dealership as a greasemonkey. I guess that now a days the PC term is technician but I'm FAR from being pc. We were also an Allrig shop (works on anything) and on the side of a major interstate so we saw just about everything imaginable. Over the years, I aquired opinions on just about every on highway engine, transmission, and drive axles on the road.

I seriously don't like anything that Cummins makes. I know that I'm gonna take a beating for that but that's just the way it is. Worked on too many of them. I also detest anything Mopar except for some of the old muscle cars. But if I could go out and buy whatever I wanted tomorrow as far as pickup style trucks goes, it would be a Dodge 5500, Cummins 6.7, and 6 speed. Dodge is the only manufacturer using an inline 6 cylinder. Inline engine torque output and longevity has been proven far superior to V style engines over and over a long time ago. That's why big truck and ship engines are most all inlines. There were a very few V style engines in trucks years ago but that didn't work out so good. Dodge also is using Dana axles again. Most of the corporate axles are just a failure waiting to happen and they are propietary so you have to go back to the dealer for parts. If Dodge would start using one of Eaton's fully syncronized 7 or 8 speeds, then that would almost be the ideal truck. The clutches and clutch housings are all available, not sure what the hold up would be. But all in all, it's still a $50,000 truck without a bed and $50,000 for a piece of equipment to get you from point A to point B and keep you relativley dry and warm is just asinine. Then there is the problem of all of the electronics to have to deal with on all trucks today. When electronics are working right they're great, but when they start taking on a mind of their own, can you say Christine? I was just tickeled to death with points and carburetors, could fix them on the side of the road with a pocket knife but the EPA has seen to fixin that. The EPA is why Caterpillar doesn't make truck engines any more. They're also the reason that Tecumseh is out of business. What's next?

Anyway, here's a few pics of what was in the bottom of the trailer under the limbs after I dumped it Saturday evening. That's an 044 with a 20" bar for comparison.

P6130189.jpg

P6130190.jpg

P6130191.jpg

As a former 6.0L owner, stand by for failure of, but not limited to, egr cooler, head gaskets, glow plugs, glow plug wiring harness, glow plug controller, oil pump-high pressure, oil pump-low pressure, etc. Other than that they are a really nice truck.

I sure hope not. It has 186,000 on it now. The only problem so far was an oil cooler. Replaced it and the truck runs like new. My cousin is a diesel mechanic for Ford. After speaking to him about the nightmare stories of the 6.0, I pulled the trigger anyway. According to him, the motors big problems were in 2004. Is that the year of truck that you owned?

Anyway, it's nice to have a big truck, with tons of room, that still gets decent mileage. BTW, I plan on replacing the engine at 300,000. I should hit there about 2020.

Flame ON! We wont even talk about the "killer dowel pin" or the "53" block or the junk azz lift pumps the burn up and kill the high $$$ injection pump. None of this even includes the thing these engine come in. And then there was the 6.0hh. :spam:

On a more serious note you had better keep some savings aside for all the for mentioned 6.0hhh problems. They are very real and very expensive. The newer the truck the less bad they were but the biggest problem with the 6.0hh is a trained monkey cannot work on them. I can't even fathom trying to replace a hi-pressure oil regulator or a hi pressure pump. :jawdrop:
The intake manifold also serves as a cooler for multiple things and that is the last thing to gain access to from the top. Everything has to come off to get to it. I'd be really nice to that truck and hope you get lucky. On a happier note the 6.0hh makes GREAT power WHEN they run. They will run circles around the older 7.3 they replaced. Good luck.

Bullittman

Latest posts

Back