Without a doubt, the crappiest STIHL ever produced...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
customer service

What this tech needs to learn is that berating a customer's equipment will get you less customers. They bring the equipment in for repair, not to be told how bad it is. It will come back to bite you. Been there, done that in my younger days.

Fix the saw.:popcorn:

. So outside of the Torx sizes, have you noticed anything obvious that would help in detecting what is wrong?[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!

Actually when I got the Vette, My dad had a 1967 Thunderbird Landau (Tudor), and a 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville. I learned to drive in the Ford, but at 10mpg, it wasnt feasable. He wanted to give it to me, but I knew I couldnt have afforded to put gas in it, and Go to High School. So I found and got the Vette instead. 30mpg on the highway, yet runs to 60 in 5.5s.

Later that year I was driving the Tbird to school one day because the vette was getting an alternator installed, and some punk smashed into the back of me, tore the Pristine Tbird up. Car only had about 60K original miles. Kid runs into me, then jumps out and takes the joint out of his mouth and yells "Why the **** did you stop" I replied "I wasnt even moving, this is a stop sign...:mad:

Couldn't afford gas for the ford so you bought a vette. HMMMMM

I knew he had been doing some serious pulling here..and I noticed some moisture around the exhaust outlet, so I figured it's either flooded, or it's a spark problem.

[/QUOTE]

Been sitting for two says and there is STILL "moisture" in exhaust.Must have been REALLY flooded.
Probably that different gas down there,ours dries up here pretty fast!

What this tech needs to learn is that berating a customer's equipment will get you less customers. They bring the equipment in for repair, not to be told how bad it is. It will come back to bite you. Been there, done that in my younger days.

Fix the saw.:popcorn:

You should read the thread...he berated it long before I got a chance to.

For all you that asked for closure...I got the coil this morning, bolted it on, and after some coaxing, it cranked and ran okay. Customer came in and the first thing he said to me was....

"You got that peice of *hit running?"

He said that it didnt run this good when he got it from the dealer....

So that's it...problem was poor QC from Stihl resulting in a defective coil being installed on a saw.

:cheers:

Red, after all the hooplah and name bashing...you had to re-install a coil....geez! I guess you had your fun? :bang:

Lotta diff twixt a mech and a parts changer

And I suppose you would have just fixed the defective coil right?

The problem was a bad coil, the solution was to replace the coil...any questions?

Red, parts changer extroidinaire
:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Think about what you are saying here mow...think of the common saw related problems, and how they are fixed.

Gummed up carb- install a kit and clean carb.

air filter trashed- replace filter element

Bar worn out- replace bar

spur or rim worn out- replace with new drum/spur or new Rim.

Piston galled to cylinder- replace piston and rings/ repair cylidner if possible.

Bar oiler not function, not caused by a clog- replace broken/worn oil pump parts.

Coil not producing spark- replace coil.

-----------
When it comes down to it, that's what we do. Take a peice of equipment that is NOT working. Look for clues, and run tests to efficiently determine what may or may not be causing the problem, THEN replace the failed parts.

yes, there are repairs that dont involve replacement...like sharpening chains, tuning the carb, cleaning an air filter,

Dude, this thread was like sitting around on Thanksgiving day listening to your relatives argue over what kind shampoo make their head tingle. In so far as the claims of the 280 being the crappiest saw made, a simple fix like a coil is a huge let down. I am no small engine mechanic, but any Joe could go through the simple steps of figuring this out. To make such bold a bold statement as the header of this thread, a huge fix, or finding out of a design flaw would have been adequate. A seized piston, squirrels stuffed acorns in the breather, hell anything but a coil...
:mad:

Latest posts

Back