woke up to smoke smell in house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kielbasa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It usually ends up getting so hot in my home, that I let my BJ90 wood furnce just fizzle out thru the night. Woke up to terrible smoke smell, but I knew the fire was out.
Backdrafting thru the chimney and the smell was blowing into the house from the wood furnace vets, etc. I quickly lit a fire to make a draft in the chimney and quit blowing back into house. I'ts been about 4 weeks now that I finished the install of the furnace and chimney, but it's never done this before. At first I thought it was a wierd wind direction or something, but after going outside, it was a typical west wind and about 1 degF ambient - nothing out of the ordinary.
It's an outside chimney (typically last choice, but it was my ONLY choice), I assume the outside stack temp dropped low enough to cause this, but i usually let the fire burnout by evening and sit all night cold. I'm thinking of installing some type of cut off plate to prevent the smoke smell coming back in, or do they make damper that has a nice tight fit that I could install into my smoke pipe? It's currently equipped with just a baro damper in the smoke pipe, no butterfly damper - Thanks for any input! I can't stand the inside of my house smelling like a smoked out campfire.

I've heard that if you put a lit candle in the firebox, that generates enough heat to keep it from back drafting. Of course the stove would have to be dead cold to do that. Seems like an outside combustion air kit would solve that problem too.

Ian

Outside combustion air will help. The air flow through the chimney reversed with the high winds, outdoor air temp, etc. I will have problems if the clothes dryer is running before I added 6" combustion air to the basement where my furnace is located.

Make sure your barometic damper is adjusted properly. I run my damper at about .06, a little higher than recommended, runs the flue a little hotter, but that what works for my set up.

good luck

tom

I've got a 4" diameter hole in my furnace room for outside combustion air......

my baro is set to .02" H2O, but it has no effect when there is no fire (damper fully closed).....

Open a window just a little, You're house is too tightly sealed. Mine will do that that on some days when the barometric pressure drops. I just crack a window and it will stop.

I get this once in a while when I damp the fire down and go to work or bed. My house is plenty leaky so that may not be the cause.

Mine will do that if my stove and pipes get cold.Usually only time I have the problem is in the spring with warm days and cold nights and I let fire go out .

the trick mentioned with the candle works well for me..

no, outside combustion air not directly attached to furnce, just dumps into the room (about 10 inches away from the furnace)....

the chimney JUST meets 10/2/3 rule....i have 2 1/2 feet single wall of vertical inside the house, then tees thru the wall to the outside and runs straight vertical for 15 feet....my neighbor was over today and he looked at my chimney and said "your chimney isn't tall enough"....maybe he's right??

I have heard this story several times from one of my coworkers.:) I know it can be a serious situation but it sure is funny after the fact. He would talk about waking up to the house full of smoke and running through the living room with smoldering logs chucking them out the front door. He would then have to open all the windows and doors to let it air out, all the while standing at the front door pissed off and cold in his Carrharts at 4:30 in the morning. Heating with wood can be a tough life.:censored:

I have heard this story several times from one of my coworkers.:) I know it can be a serious situation but it sure is funny after the fact. He would talk about waking up to the house full of smoke and running through the living room with smoldering logs chucking them out the front door. He would then have to open all the windows and doors to let it air out, all the while standing at the front door pissed off and cold in his Carrharts at 4:30 in the morning. Heating with wood can be a tough life.:censored:

if the spaz would have just opened the windows--and cranked the fire up--

if the spaz would have just opened the windows--and cranked the fire up--

No. The issue was with high winds and his chimney wanting to backdraft. I think he put a deflector on the west side of the cap or something to that effect and it helped. He has since gone to an exterior wood furnace. Dude's not a spaz either, just trying to stop his home from being inundated with smoke. I'm sure if you were there it would have been different.

am i reading this right ? you are running single wall up and then throug ha thimble out side and up the home ? single wall is not meant to be used outdoors ... if so that is definitly your problem ,not too mention youll probably soon burn your house down .

If you don't have them, and it sounds like you don't, put them in. Smoke and CO2 detectors. That stuff is dangerous and it is an awkward sensation to wake up dead.

I was woke up at oh dark 30 one night by the co2 detector going off. No smell of smoke. Dumped the fire, aired out the house (20 degree weather). Checked chimney in themorning and found the 'bird screen' totally blocked by dry, powdery soot. That screen disappeared instantly.

Harry K

yes, single wall all the way up outside, it was my cheapest route, by far! LOL, just kidding, Triple wall Simpson on the outside....
yes, I do have smoke alarms and a CO meter, trust me, I'm not a cheap skate or a hack when it comes to my installs
......it wasn't smoky in the house, the fire was out...just smells to the high heavens...

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a symptom of a plugging chimney, because even loading the furnace now bellows smoke into the house when I open the door more than a crack (never used to be this bad) - I wondered about the bird nest screen being plugged, but it's nice and clean....

I do have my baro set on the low side (.02" H2O) for max heat extraction from the wood, and even though the wood I burn is very dry seasoned locust, once a day for a few minutes I'll manually close the baro and fully open the combustion air vents (for a raging fire) to attempt to burnout daily deposits. Having said that, was surprised to see the amount of buildup on the inside of the single wall when I peek in thru the baro damper with flashlight. So I wonder what the inside of the triple wall looks like.....looks like I'll be buying a chimney brush sooner than I thought.....

Seems like (and I may be totally off base here) that to get a raging fire, you would have to open the baro for maximum combustion air through the furnace. If you open one end and close the other, you still have a closed off furnace. Kinda like putting a big 4 barrel carb on your car and then welding the exhaust shut.

You might try upping the draft via your baro. More draft seems like it would counter a tendency to back flow, but that would only be with a hot furnace. Wouldn't affect a cold furnace situation. Would help with smoke when you open the load door on a hot furnace though.

Ian

Last edited:
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a symptom of a plugging chimney, because even loading the furnace now bellows smoke into the house when I open the door more than a crack (never used to be this bad) - I wondered about the bird nest screen being plugged, but it's nice and clean....

Whenever mine starts to do what you just described, it's time for me to run a brush through my chimney, and that takes care of that problem for me.

Kevin

No. The issue was with high winds and his chimney wanting to backdraft. I think he put a deflector on the west side of the cap or something to that effect and it helped. He has since gone to an exterior wood furnace. Dude's not a spaz either, just trying to stop his home from being inundated with smoke. I'm sure if you were there it would have been different.

most likely--

I can almost bet at .02" your not getting enough heat for your flue pipe, or complete combustion. It will fill your flue pipe with creasote. If your getting smoke from your chimney when your burning, its not burning hot enough to burn up the nasties from the wood.

Latest posts

Back