Won't be long now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Frost!
First frost of the season this morning... not just on the windshields, but also some of the grass.
We still had a couple windows open, but I closed them this morning (64° in the house). Likely open them back up this afternoon after the sun warms things a bit... but we'll start closing them at night now I reckon. The hard maples in the yard are turning red fast and sure.

Clear blue-sky 30° mornings and 50° afternoons... my favorite time of year.

I'm thinkin' the firebox will likely be seein' some use by end of this week... and evenings will be spent sittin' a little closer to the fire pit. Next weekend is probably about time to yank the last of the window screens, put on storms and nail plastic over them.

I've moved around 3 cord in the basement so far, might just move another cord or two in today... and likely a load every night after work this week. This frost should cause most of the underbrush in the woodlot to drop-green, and then I can get busy out there. The last couple years have been rough on the elms... lots of cutting to be done on those standing-dead.

Yup, it won't be long now and we can all start complaining about the cold, the wind, the snow, and whatnot... just like last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and............

Frost!
First frost of the season this morning... not just on the windshields, but also some of the grass.
We still had a couple windows open, but I closed them this morning (64° in the house). Likely open them back up this afternoon after the sun warms things a bit... but we'll start closing them at night now I reckon. The hard maples in the yard are turning red fast and sure.

I'm thinkin' the firebox will likely be seein' some use by end of this week... and evenings will be spent sittin' a little closer to the fire pit. Next weekend is probably about time to yank the last of the window screens, put on storms and nail plastic over them.

I've moved around 3 cord in the basement so far, might just move another cord or two in today... and likely a load every night after work this week. This frost should cause most of the underbrush in the woodlot to drop-green, and then I can get busy out there. The last couple years have been rough on the elms... lots of cutting to be done on those standing-dead.

Yup, it won't be long now and we can all start complaining about the cold, the wind, the snow, and whatnot... just like last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and............

I'm a southern fried wuss! Been burning pine/bark/uglies/splitter area junk the past three mornings now.

62* in the house this morning and the wife is thinking it a tad bit cold. Don't think it will warm up enough today to last another night to keep the house above 60*. Am pretty sure if you look west tonight Spider you will see smoke coming from our OWB. Next weeks temps don't look much better for highs so don't see much to gain by trying to stretch out another couple of days with no fire. Have the stacks of dry wood ready to go might as well use them for their intended purpose.

I wish I could say that I thought I was close to getting a first fire going but i dont think so. I moved 2 or so cords from my splitting area up to the racks by my house today and got hounded by mosquitos and bees the whole time.... and almost 80° to boot! The wood was so infested with bugs it was crazy..and I even ran across a rat snake

It feels more like early September than mid October.

Had a fire going a few days ago. It was cold and windy and raining. Plus I have a ton of pine from Sandy last year that is all ready to go.

Frost!

We're maybe 1 or 2 weeks away from getting our first frost as well. The past couple of weekends I've been burning the bark that falls off whatever I'm splitting in the firepit. Burning up that stuff gives me an excuse to sit outside for hours on my ass with the wife and kid enjoying the heat. I'm ready for the winter this year! Been busting my ass scrounging, doing tree jobs for people, and dropping a few on my own property that I eyeballed up. Last year I ran out early and was forced to buy some "premium hardwood" from a seller. That premium hardwood was 50% poplar. That'll be the last time that happens! Got a couple sources for wood now if the scrounging efforts dry up. Most of it being tree service guys and loggers who drop off truck loads of oak.

I usually dont start a fire until it is in the 50's in the house in the morning. When I shiver drying off from my morning shower it is time to get the wood going.

Its been cool here in the house in the mornings. The sun heats the house up with the lay out of the windows. I just have to remember to close all the blinds and curtains at dark to keep the heat in. No fire yet..

we are in western ky and no frost yet and doesn't look like we are going to have frost any time soon:bang::bang::bang: I wish it would so I can put the mowing equipment up for the year,, it has been a long year cutting yards,,,, we had a fire for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago since it got down to the mid 40's

...we had a fire for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago since it got down to the mid 40's

That's sort'a funny and ties right in with another active thread entitled, "How COLD does it really get down south?"
Mid-40's?? L-O-L... we leave the windows open. I just closed them yesterday morning... and it took low 30's and a frost to get me to do that!! Other than a "test" fire we haven't lit the furnace yet... although, this week looks like we will. Yesterday we saw 61° with lots of sun, the house warmed to 70 without any help... but it has cooled back down to 64° this morning. Rain tonight, cooler and cloudy/rainy for the next few days with possible lows in the 20's by weeks end... yeah, it won't be long now.

I have lit the furnace 5 times already. Earliest I have had any kind of heat in my life. I could have gone with out, and had the fam wear sweatshirts. With all the wood I have, and the work that went into getting it. I thought what the hell why not be comfortable in my own house. Boy did the wife show her appreciation. May have to lite it even earlier next year.

Ayup...had to work in the office today, got home and it was 58º in the house and I lit her up. Just a little one to keep the house from getting too cold overnight...was 50º inside when I took my shower this morning :)

Spider, what ever became of the "Stovace" project you were working with? If I recall you were thinking of going a different route for this season?

We had about 2" of snow on the ground this morning, still mostly white on the ground even now. 35* f here now at 4:00 pm
I have been burning wood pretty steady since the beginning of Oct.

Latest posts

Back