Won't be long now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spider, what ever became of the "Stovace" project you were working with? If I recall you were thinking of going a different route for this season?
Wow man!! Where ya' been, livin' under a rock?? L-O-L
Installed a DAKA furnace in the house over the summer, the "stovace" was moved into the shop... and I'm still having issues with excessive coal buildup and not enough sustained heat output from that EPA firebox. I can raise the shop temperature a few degrees until the fire collapses into coals and then the shop starts cooling back off; so I add more wood and soon I just have a huge bed of coals, no more room for wood, and a cold shop... so I'm shoveling out burning coals to make more room in that POS. The DAKA furnace has been an excellent performer so far (arctic weather will be the definitive test) and actually seems to be using less wood than the EPA box did. Just a half-dozen medium-sized splits of elm brought the whole house up from 67° to 72° this morning in about an hour (26° outside this morning)... the "stovace" would have taking at least one reload (at least twice as much wood) and over three hours to do that (I could gain 1° or 2° per hour if I kept "stirring" the fire and reloading). With the DAKA I just load it and forget it... no stirring, no adjusting, no messin' 'round with it... just empty the ash pan every couple days or so.

Not under one, more like on top of a very BIG one without internet service for a while. So that furnace ought to be a big improvement, man I have a brand X version of that other stove you were using and I decided I hate the darn thing. These EPA reburn stoves that feed the air in from above the door are a joke, I don't care who built it. If you arent retired and able to stay home and stir the coals and add wood every hour and half forget about it.

I'm going to look into a cat stove for next year, I'm tired of babysitting this piece of EPA inspired engineering.

Latest posts

Back