Wood Bandits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking what if you were to take some of those steel letter sets the ones for stamping letters and numbers into metal. If you were then to cut the three of them that corresponded to your initials down to about 1/4 inch long (I believe thy come about 2 or 3 inches long) and welded them to the push plate on the splitter would they automatically "stamp" your initials into every piece of firewood the machine splits.or maybe you address? maybe the letters would have to be placed in reverse order I'm not sure. Anyway, just thinking "out loud" here. I hope I've explained my idea clearly.

I was thinking what if you were to take some of those steel letter sets the ones for stamping letters and numbers into metal. If you were then to cut the three of them that corresponded to your initials down to about 1/4 inch long (I believe thy come about 2 or 3 inches long) and welded them to the push plate on the splitter would they automatically "stamp" your initials into every piece of firewood the machine splits.or maybe you address? maybe the letters would have to be placed in reverse order I'm not sure. Anyway, just thinking "out loud" here. I hope I've explained my idea clearly.

or just weld your intitals in weld bead backwards on the toe plate of your splitter... or weld them right way round so the imprint is backwards.. makes it more unique

Last edited:
We used to stack our wood at the back lot line behind our garden shed. I say used to because when the land behind us was subdivided into an 'uppity' neighborhood our firewood started to disappear.... Just this fall I have started stacking it closer to our house for my convenience (not having to trudge through 3 feet of snow to get it into the house). We have an extra 2 car gravel parking area that should work out fine. The problem is city codes say firewood piles must be in your back yard. Well.... the pile is just barely beyond the back wall of our garage so to me that IS our backyard. Hope the code enforcers think the same way I do or I will have a wood pile that needs to be moved! :)

One friend's anti-theft method:

1. First rick of wood stolen while he was at work. Then later, a second one!

2. On the third rick.

a. drilled a hole in the end of two random pieces of firewood.

b. insert dynamite cap in each hole.

c. plug holes with wooden dowel & saw off flush.

d. wait.

3. Third stack of wood was last one taken.

4. Thief gets free chimney cleaning with ALL cresote removed. :clap:

No i havent yet, that is just a joke anyway they are so anxious to get back to their donuts that they are only their because they have to be and when they leave that is the last of that.

sounds as though you have had similar experience with cops that I have had. More trouble than it is worth in most cases to call them. My son (5 years old) had a knife pulled and held to his throat by two 8 year olds. Having the cops come out was a joke....

Not real worried about the wood in the yard. It's close enough to the house and inside of the fence.

I've got a test stack out on some land I bought back in the spring. It is just inside the timber line but visible from the lane you take to get back to the land. There is an easement that I own. Its been out there about a month and has not yet been touched. I'm debating on staging wood out on the property and then hauling it home ready to burn in the fall each year. It would cut down on some of the handling. Not feasible if the wood starts disappearing.

Latest posts

Back