wood burner ban Iowa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EPA was the driving force behind the changeover. In 1989 wood stoves that did not meet EPA standards could not be sold in the USA.

It is also illegal to sell a used non EPA wood stove.

Is it illegal to sell a non epa stove used?

One other thing ppl forget with OWBs is they are doing the entire heating structure,and hot water in most cases,where wood stoves inside are usually supplimental heat,heating 60-90% of the houses space,and do not do the domestic hot water .OWBs are also heating the outside air a little bit as well.I know there are gains ot be had in OWB efficiency,but they will never burn as little wood as an indoor unit.

The thing that worries me the most is the slippery slope, whats the next thing that's going to be targeted fireplace's indoor wood stoves. The next 4 years are going to be very interesting as the new global warming fanatics take charge, hold on to your wood burners tight cause the new rules will be coming fast and furious for sure.

http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/2007/10/science_blogger_blows_gasket_a.html

As Pogo said, "I"ve met the enemy and he is us."
I burn with wood and I get aggravated by the nit wits in my area who smoke up the neighborhood for whatever reason: poor wood, old stove, or improper burn. Tougher regs will be passed because of these guys.

As Pogo said, "I"ve met the enemy and he is us."
I burn with wood and I get aggravated by the nit wits in my area who smoke up the neighborhood for whatever reason: poor wood, old stove, or improper burn. Tougher regs will be passed because of these guys.

:agree2:

So where are all these people that burn tires in their OWB's? I see that allegation all of the time, yet I have never witnessed an OWB belching the type of smoke that would indicate tires burning. This is nothing more than wanting to control people. Sure, it doesn't affect people with EPA stoves or gassifier type boilers, so who cares if old technology outdoor boilers are banned..... right? Well, this is divide and conquer strategy and it happens to be very effective. The people that are proposing these infringments on liberty do not like ANY type of wood burning heat source, it's just that they will settle for the banning of OWB's........for now!

Don't believe me? Look at enough information(if you can stomach it) provided by the EPA that is on the web and you will see their true intentions.

Yep, its politics as usual. NY state is the worst. Their web site is filled with pages and pages of political smear campaigns of burning tires, RR ties and wet wood in OWBs. Obviously staged. Obviously fanatic politics. In comparison, just look at all the crappy efficiency and smoke from the MILLIONS of POS brick firepalces built into houses. If you want to ban something that is inefficient or even completely useless, go after those. But noooooooooo.... amazing how well some prodding from some lobbies from the utilities and oil/coal/NG companies will do. Of course a smiilar anti-fanaticism exists for nuclear power, which is the only scalable non-CO2 source of energy that we have available.

The one thing that stuck me the most after installing my first CB OWB was how LITTLE it smoked. Yes, sized right, proper stack height, installed right, burning seasoned dry wood. Small plume of smoke drifted down a little draw away from the house. About 1/3 the smoke of any of the neighbors with a conventional house fireplace. Zero complaints about it. Zero smoke around the house in winter (except when opening the OWB door too fast).

As for banning stuff, places like the Bay Area of CA banned ALL wood burning appliances, and all new wood burning fireplaces in houses. The existing ones are grandfathered. The wood smoke there in winter was and is still really bad. In those places, I would say that the ban is OK. The ban is across the board, and not just one type of wood burning appliance. Of course, they also have a severe shortage of electricty there, the state is bankrupted, and all the rest.

:QUOTE=rob206;1448739]So where are all these people that burn tires in their OWB's? I see that allegation all of the time, yet I have never witnessed an OWB belching the type of smoke that would indicate tires burning. This is nothing more than wanting to control people. Sure, it doesn't affect people with EPA stoves or gassifier type boilers, so who cares if old technology outdoor boilers are banned..... right? Well, this is divide and conquer strategy and it happens to be very effective. The people that are proposing these infringments on liberty do not like ANY type of wood burning heat source, it's just that they will settle for the banning of OWB's........for now!

Don't believe me? Look at enough information(if you can stomach it) provided by the EPA that is on the web and you will see their true intentions.[/QUOTE]

:agree2: Thats right buddy I agree with you 100% no matter what started it or what the target of the ban is it is just a way to take away rights! And anyway any ban on a fire to keep warm is pure horse:censored:!!! Its just like the gun registration thing they wanna get through I have heard people say whats the big deal if we have to declare all or guns and register all of them and allow the gov to come inspect your home and guns!!! The big deal is its unconstitutional first of all and the last guy to make everyone register all there guns was Adolph Hitler!!! Some people need to open their eyes a little!

I live in the woods...nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away...I think this is the proper senario for an owb. Sure my boiler smokes for 5-10 minutes @ start up after not cycling for a while, but I ain't filling my neighbors house up with smoke. I also only burn wood, and sometimes a bit of cardboard to burn off creasote buildup....no tires, trash, or crap like that...People that burn tires and trash should have their boilers removed...Their the jerks giving us all a bad name...

I have witnessed boilers in the middle of a small town close to me putting off so much smoke you can't see to drive down the road..

The one thing that stuck me the most after installing my first CB OWB was how LITTLE it smoked. Yes, sized right, proper stack height, installed right, burning seasoned dry wood. Small plume of smoke drifted down a little draw away from the house. About 1/3 the smoke of any of the neighbors with a conventional house fireplace. Zero complaints about it. Zero smoke around the house in winter (except when opening the OWB door too fast).

Same here. After the damper opens there is 2-3mins of smoke and then the fire is blazing. Usually all that can be seen out of the stack is the distorted background. Sometimes there is quite a bit of smoke if I just loaded it full, or if the wood bridges in the firebox, but in either case it is nothing like the 5 different photos circulating on the web. It's pretty slick what these clowns are doing though, use a still photograph and shout from the roof tops that this is how OWB's operate.

Ditto on the gun registration analogy. There is a large percentage of the population that genuinly fears people that are self sufficient. For example, the reason the fed's went after(or were initially interested in) Randy Weaver was because he move to some mountain in Idaho. They said to themselves "why would somebody do that" (info taken from documentary). Sorry about the hijack and I know we have a political forum, I just think it is relevant to the topic. And no, I don't beleive the feds are going to come after OWB owners with guns blazing. At least not literally.:chainsaw:

Here's an idea.

How about one of you OWB operators make a video of your boiler operating properly during a burn cycle with clean, well-seasoned wood in it, complete with commentary discussing the proper operation of the unit, and then post it here, on Hearth dot com and youTube so that people can get an idea of how an OWB is supposed to be operated and so they know that every OWB owner isn't an irresponsible trash, tire and junk burner.

Latest posts

Back