wood burner issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2strokenut

One nut loose
Reaction score
I had the flue cleaned on the weekend and the fire is drawing really well but every time I open the door, smoke pours out into the room. It was doing this before I had the flue cleaned too. It has been happening for about a month now. Our house is old and drafty too. Any clues as to why this may be happening?

We had one doing that when we moved into a house and I added 4 feet to the chimney and it worked fine after that.

i see how that would work.
as it is my flue is 2m above the roof nealy 4m in totle length.
i have been burning in it for 4 years and not a problem untill now.

Chimney not getting up to temps, different wood burning differently, very low air pressure system sitting over your area, something else wrong with your heater. Maybe the damper looks open but isn't all the way open?

Smoke spill is usually a result of draft interruption. Since this is a relatively recent condition I'd suspect something has changed. Possibly a warped baffle or maybe your home is more airtight than before?

Try cracking open a window slightly and see if you still get the spill.

Smoke spill is usually a result of draft interruption. Since this is a relatively recent condition I'd suspect something has changed. Possibly a warped baffle or maybe your home is more airtight than before?

Try cracking open a window slightly and see if you still get the spill.

thank you i have have a vent in the wall right next to the fire place leating as much air in as it needs so that i dont have a cold drafed coming through the house

thronton and zogger you got me to thinking.
we had a bad storm come through about a month ago i wonderd if the flue had moved and it had it has droped down and is sitting close to the top of the baffle plate.
so now i will have to fix it i might put a little steel block back up in there to stop it ever droping agean.

thronton and zogger you got me to thinking.
we had a bad storm come through about a month ago i wonderd if the flue had moved and it had it has droped down and is sitting close to the top of the baffle plate.
so now i will have to fix it i might put a little steel block back up in there to stop it ever droping agean.

Ah, glad you found the problem!

Latest posts

Back