Wood Chipper Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsonville

Reaction score
I own thirteen acres of which nine are wooded, and would like a recomendation on a brand/make and model of a wood chipper. I enjoy keeping the fallen, and low hanging, branches to a minimum, and want to chip/mulch these branches and spread it throughout my woods and on a walking/nature trail I've designed. Does anyone have information or experience on a wood chipper that is a workhorse, but not as big as one? The branch diameters range up to 5". Thanking you in advance.

Davidsonville

New toys are nice to have, but I would just gather piles in easy to get to areas and rent a big chipper as you need it, no maintenance for you and you know it will chip the big branches. Around here you can rent a chipper that will chip up to 9" for about $275/day. Those little chippers can run up to about $2000+ and then you have upkeep.
If you do pile the branches up just remember to face all the butt ends one direction. I've bid many jobs where the people just throw branches in a big pile any old way, not realizing how long it takes to untangle, I usually don't get those jobs cause I estimate them so high:D
Oh yeah just thought of something else , if you have a tractor , might want to check on a pto chipper , they make some heavy duty ones that are commercial quality, maybe find a used one.

If you go for a used chipper look at Morbark. I know some guys who bought them cheap.

Stay away from direct feed, they are dangerouse.

If you have wide crotch angles a 12 inch chipper is best. But if you cut the stff down narrow, then you could go with a six inch.

Keep the blades sharp and the anvil tolerance to a minimal. this will save the engine in the long run.

Store under a tarp....

There are a few advertisers in my TCI magazine that sell used chippers. This month there are 3 with multiple machines for sale.
1) Franklin tractor sales, Columbus Ohio, 800-282-1438 ext.224
2) Alexander Equipment Lisle IL, http://www.alexequip.com
3) Bandit Industries http://www.banditchippers.com

I hope you are sitting when you see the prices :eek:
Good luck looking!

Renting may be the best option. Smaller homeowner chippers, even good ones from reliable companies like BCS, have problems you won't run into using a larger machine. Most homeowner chippers will take a 3 inch limb. Fair enough...but...on almost any tree or limb unless you learn to prune it for the chipper orifice I gurantee you you'll find crotches galore over 3 inches & won't feed thru without cutting a second time....

Latest posts

Back