Wood Cutting Christmas Gift Ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG Medic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am trying to think of Christmas gift ideas for myself. Family and friends ask me what I want for Christmas and I am thinking that firewood gathering stuff would be great. I just can't think of what I need or want. Just looking for some suggestions. As of right now I only have Husky 450 and 2500hd Chevy. Here is my list so far.

labonville Chaps
Fiskars Super Splitting axe
Fiskars 14" hatchet
Felling wedges

(Moderators if you think this should be in a different area feel free to delete or move)

Peavey/ Cant hook.(Long handle)
Pulp hook.
Pickaroon.
Heavy duty come-along.
Log chains.
Good Rope.
Moisture meter.
Saw chains.
Files.
Spare Bar.
3/4 axe for wedges.
Quality eye pro.
Good helmet system.(Lotsa guys getting turtle ####ed lately)
Husky Hat.
Husky winter cutting boots.
Husky suspenders for the Chaps.
Husky T-shirt, sweatshirt, underwear, and slippers.
Husky decal for back window of the Chebby.
Headache Rack for the Chebby.
Tail Light guards for the chebby.
Wedges X 20 and in all sizes.
Mid sized tractor w/ FEL.
Quad with winch.
Winch for Chebby.
Three axle trailer with stake sides.

LOL!!!!!

My 'Ol Lady walked into the Husky dealer and asked "What's he been drooling all over lately". The guys wouldn't tell me what it was she walked out with, and she hid it at the MIL's place, so I am restricted to buying chain and maint. stuff untill after Christmas.

Good luck to ya on your list.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

great list dingeryote!!! My santa wish list just got bigger lol.

Don't forget glove, i never have enough.:chainsawguy:

I'm not sure why you need a 14" hatchet, but that Fiskars is so light that I use the smallest axe as a hatchet. Initially I was also going to buy the hatchet, but after using the small axe I have no need for the hatchet.

dingeryote has a 3/4 axe (for wedges) on his list. I don't think any of the Fiskars would hold up to being used that way, so a separate axe for wedges would be a good idea. I read this somewhere, so have never used the flat side of my Fiskars axes. If anyone knows different please speak up! :D

The PPE that is on the lists is always a good idea as well.

:cheers:

I really like my Fiskars hatchet and super split. Also like my Mingo marker. I use my stump vise frequently while in the woods. Maybe you could ask for a Northern Tool chain grinder. Good bang for the buck at $100!

I really like my Fiskars hatchet and super split. Also like my Mingo marker. I use my stump vise frequently while in the woods. Maybe you could ask for a Northern Tool chain grinder. Good bang for the buck at $100!

What do you use your hatchet for?

What do you use your hatchet for?

clearing the escape route of small brambles - at least that's what I use my hatchet for.

That & pounding felling wedges but it's been said here before that one shouldn't use the Fiskars for pounding wedges.

Good Luck!

Now the ultimate question... what to get 'She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named' for Christmas... we don't need anything & I spent a ton on her for Mothers' Day this year-second kid born this past April & his sister was also an April baby so she got two April birthstones in a set of earrings... there went the Christmas bonus six months early!

TB

The guys wouldn't tell me what it was she walked out with, and she hid it at the MIL's place, so I am restricted to buying chain and maint. stuff untill after Christmas.

Devious. Genius. You're married to a gal who's found (at lease a temporary) cure for CAD.

I've heard that relapses amongst the backsliders can be pretty brutal.

So, if you have a hard time finding your wallet on December 26, my guess is that your ole lady's spiderholed it somewhere what will prevent a recurrence of your symptoms.

A box or two of Fatwood fire starter from Bailey's. Works great and after it's gone you don't have to find a place to keep it.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I will also use this list to have ideas what to buy for myself after Christmas. I have 3lb hammer with a 14" handle that I was going to bring with into the woods to pound wedges but if a axe would be more handy I may go for that too. I didn't even think about a stump vise. What are some other must have pieces of equipment to bring with for firewood gathering?

I would like the 372xp but I really don't have the need for one. My best freind's family owns a tree service company, so most of the wood that I get is already dropped and bucked.

I was also thinking about a brush guard for the truck but not sure. My wife ends up driving that thing more than I do.

The in-laws spend around $1000 on each person for christmas and everything total that I asked for was around $150.

I would like the 372xp but I really don't have the need for one. My best freind's family owns a tree service company, so most of the wood that I get is already dropped and bucked.
Bucked to stove-length? Or to sizes that make it more convenient for handling by the crewmen? Geez, if it's aleady stove length, you might not even need anything additional saw-wise.

If you're transporting the rounds yourself, I'd put the headache rack up higher on the list to maximize the # of rounds per load.

Sounds like the fiskars should be high on your list too.

The in-laws spend around $1000 on each person for christmas and everything total that I asked for was around $150.
If I were single, I'd ask if your wife's got any sisters!

If you're looking at low 4-figures, you might want to consider a splitter with other family chipping in to get up what a decent one would cost.

Since he is a really good friend(the best man in my wedding) if it is close to my house and good hard wood (since I kinda have first choice I can be picky) they will make sure to cut almost all to under 20". I know a lot of people around town so I get them a lot of business and I am friends with half of the crew. Sometimes when I come to pick up wood if they are still on site I will bring some Gatorade or lunch. It is a great set up really.

I bought the Estwing Fireside Friend (4 lb splitting maul on a 14" handle) for making most of the slabwood that I get into better loading/burning woodstove fuel. Most pieces only need to be split in half, many I split into kindling. Sitting on a 5 gallon bucket or rolling shop chair, I place the slabs on a 4" step in the garage on edge, give them a gentle whack with the Estwing, and the kindling box is full in about 5 minutes.

I also use a 1/2 piece of fatwood to start a new fire in the woodstove.

Last Friday, a neighbor had a 32" Ash tree he & his brother took down - they didn't want the wood. I hooked up the 10K car hauler and loaded everything that was bigger than 10". I now have the rest of my 2010-2011 firewood supply at home in stove length pieces. After noodling the large pieces in half, I was able to use a dolly and walk them up the ramps onto the trailer. :cheers:

my latest score from my best friend. Pieces were left longer than usual and the pics were taken at night from my cell phone. I will get better pictures when I can.

attachment.php

attachment.php

MY favorite low cost gift ideas (base don personal experience):

- stump vise - this is super nice if you file your chains in the field
- wedge pouch for carrying falling wedges on your belt
- good hatchet (Lowes hickory handled with scabbard) for testing wood and hammering wedges
- good tool bag for carrying files, wrenches etc. into the field
- carabiner with water bottle clip (baileys)
- good, tall wool socks

Latest posts

Back