wood cutting report - 4/14/07

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royta

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
grew up near Yreka, CA and am now living in Morgan
A few pics from yesterday's trip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

24" bar.

Those are some huge cedar rounds. Do alot of people burn cedar down there? Not too many people my way even want cedar.

Those are some huge cedar rounds. Do alot of people burn cedar down there? Not too many people my way even want cedar.

To be honest, I don't really now. I think the norm around here is eucalyptus or a hardwood that can be found in one of the orchards that was cut down to make room for houses. I figured something that's easy to light and smells nice in the stack might be a welcome change. I think the majority of woodburners down here only have fireplaces, not woodstoves. Fireplaces are really only good for looking at the fire, not for putting out heat. I don't know how much ash is left behind with cedar, but I know it looks nice burning in the fireplace. Cedar wouldn't be my first choice if I had a woodstove. It's great in the morning to get the flames going, but I'd rather stoke the fire at night with some hardwood. Lodgepole pine was very easy to come by where I grew up, so that's what we used all winter, both night & day.

My father-in-law needed a 1/4 cord to hold him over, and my mother-in-law said she wanted some. Of course they both are getting it for free. I love going to the woods with my boys, and I really wanted to run a saw, so I figured this trip we'd do some woodcutting. I don't even have a wood burning fireplace, but am looking forward to campfires with the cedar.

Last edited:
Back