Wood elevator Basics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, didn't realize U had perfected perpetual motion.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

You knew what I meant. Nice avator cartoon holding chainsaw with no finger's on hand near the bar and chain.:deadhorse: Sorry had to get that 100th post. Have a nice day, please drive through.

Last edited:
You knew what I meant. Nice avator cartoon holding chainsaw with no finger's on hand near the bar and chain.:deadhorse: Sorry had to get that 100th post. Have a nice day, please drive through.

Glad I could help ya get your 100th post
:clap:

It almost seems like that is an old hay bale elevator, minus the cleats to catch the hay. Perhaps a belt that runs continuously might help better. Way too many variables to the wood pieces that would catch on framework though. Very cool though.

I have a elevator simular to that one you posted, Ive never used it, so, my question is, with such a narrow trough, what is wrong with a single chain?, what problems are you having with it,? what do you expect a belt to do to fix it, these parts arent cheap and past experence is pricless, Thanks T,C, E,J,

One of my problem's is that I'm feeding it with a small processor and the wood will sometimes bunch up in the narrow trough. A belt with cleats every 24" or so would keep the wood from bunching up in the trough above the paddles. This fix is theory right now, but I have a drive, and idler roller and I have a friend with a rock crusher who has offered me some old belting to try it with.

Andy

Can you give us some details on yours, did you build it yourself?

I am in need of a conveyor for my firewood operation to cut down on my labor cost so I'm trying to get as much input as I can.

Thanks.

I bought an old square bale loader and converted it to a conveyor. It had a 12' long flat trough with a single chain driven from the axle. The top of the trough flatened out and turned to dump a hay bale on a truck. I cut that off and used it to continue the trough, it made it 16' 4" long. I used 2" lumber & plywood to make it a V trough to throw the wood to the center, and welded paddles on the chain. I had to get a little creative with the chain drive since I didn't want to hunt down sprocket's for this odd ball chain.

Andy

It almost seems like that is an old hay bale elevator, minus the cleats to catch the hay. Perhaps a belt that runs continuously might help better. Way too many variables to the wood pieces that would catch on framework though. Very cool though.

When I began this project, What you pictured is exactly what I used as a referal peice. A person could convert one mine was badly shot,rusted and deteariated. Check out my frame work you'll see the resembelness.

tube forming

When I began this project, What you pictured is exactly what I used as a referal peice. A person could convert one mine was badly shot,rusted and deteariated. Check out my frame work you'll see the resembelness.

C metal , how did you form thoes radius pieces on the end of the conveyor,?..

Like I said, it is very cool, and saves back breaking work, however, pray tell as to why you decided to run it hydraulic versus electric. It seems that your set up has to stay with the flatbed, so having an electric motor setup, you could have added a dc->ac inverter and unplugged it when not in use, and non-dependent on the splitter. Again, all out of curiosity, I have seen many of these, rusted out like you say, on the farm growing up. The easiest I have is to toss the pieces down hill, to where I get to stack them up.

C metal , how did you form thoes radius pieces on the end of the conveyor,?..

Cut them off the hay elevator(Wish I hadn't, too detereated to weld up nice)) cause my bender wouldn't bend that tight. I figured I better put somthing to protect the op from the revolving paddles. I'm working on a bender that will bend tighter radious's.

Like I said, it is very cool, and saves back breaking work, however, pray tell as to why you decided to run it hydraulic versus electric. It seems that your set up has to stay with the flatbed, so having an electric motor setup, you could have added a dc->ac inverter and unplugged it when not in use, and non-dependent on the splitter. Again, all out of curiosity, I have seen many of these, rusted out like you say, on the farm growing up. The easiest I have is to toss the pieces down hill, to where I get to stack them up.

Actually, I remove (1) 1/4/ bolt and it(the evlvator) pulls right off. The hydralic lines use Quick couplers. Main reason for going hydralic is I didn't have an extension cord that was 20 miles long lol. I suppose an inverter would work, but I already had ample hydro power avaliable. And One system seems simpler than two. I mentioned earlier the entire unit (splitter and elevator)removes from the bed by dissconnecting two other q-couplers and pulling two small hitch pins.

We're not lazy. I like to refer to it as "Work ethic challenged":cheers:

Good ideas but will it stack neat? I am trying to figure out economical
banding for half cords that will be strong enough to hold together and
load with my grapple truck. The old metal banding may be strong enough
but have not tried it yet. I wish they would just make over sized furnace
top loading about ten foot square door, then I could just drop brush and
wood in the top and be good for a week!

Hey maybe an over seas container would make the furnace I am thinking of :laugh: I could heat the whole neighbor hood with enough duct!!!!!

Last edited:
Why not just heat "The Outside" lol One of the biggest homade heaters I've ever seen was a Big Round Hay Bale furnance.

round bale furnace

I have heard of these, searched on the net and found nothing. The one I was told about was semi buried, roll a bale in and close. Was told it would burn for a week. VERY interesting.

Actually, I remove (1) 1/4/ bolt and it(the evlvator) pulls right off. The hydralic lines use Quick couplers. Main reason for going hydralic is I didn't have an extension cord that was 20 miles long lol. I suppose an inverter would work, but I already had ample hydro power avaliable. And One system seems simpler than two. I mentioned earlier the entire unit (splitter and elevator)removes from the bed by dissconnecting two other q-couplers and pulling two small hitch pins.

Sweet, hopefully in a few years, I actually have enough land to do what you did, and use it in a practical manner.

Like the setup you got, just had a few questions. Since you are splitting vertically you have to pick the pieces up and put them on conveyor. If you split horizontally pieces could fall into the conveyor saving some work, maybe. I hate using my splitter vertically just because I found it harder/ slower to reposition the wood. Realize log size/ weight has alot to do with it. Would it be possible to split horizontally if you had a log lift setup? Just looking for some feedback because I would like to make something similar.

Latest posts

Back