Wood elevator Basics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks a lot like mine, but the 18 hp Honda didn't do a good job at my elevation so I put a 35 hp Briggs on it (pump upgrade is next).

Chomper011.jpg

Andy

Could sombody post up better pics of the processor unit's I'd like to get a better view of the construction and mechanics.

awe,

Let me guess is it when you get one or two crocked and they wedge up? Seams usualy aren't a real prob. Unless they have protruding bolt heads. I used flat steel bent and then laid them in like shingles. Then welded from the underside. I think it helped but still get the ocasionaly jam. I hear ya on the chains, I 've broken them several times. That's what enough (Torque) will do. Threw that in there for ya cabinman. LOL. My ele. doesn't have the second Return floor and I can run the chains looser if I thought it would help. The other day I was going through some smaller stuff and noticed the chain climbing over the peices. :popcorn:

awe, thanks for the consideration, Iam not sure thats a good Idea, tighten up your chain and dont make it work with the chips, youll, wear/ break more stuff,.T,C, E,J,

I ususaly do keep them tight, but doesn't take long to stretch em. Huh, we are talking about condoms, oh I mean chain right?

Ok, here is some pics.

This is the valve bank to control the winch, wing's, log hold down, wedges, etc.
Chomper022.jpg

This is the hold down.
Chomper023.jpg

12 volt solenoid valve.
Chomper025.jpg

Andy

More

Here is the main mast with a 6" cylinder that control's the shear.
Chomper026.jpg

Here is the wedge, it will raise up to do a single split, or pivot for an 8 way split.
Chomper027.jpg

Here is the hydraulic winch that pull's the log's into the machine.
Chomper030.jpg

Andy

Brand

Chomper026.jpg

Here is the wedge, it will raise up to do a single split, or pivot for an 8 way split.
Chomper027.jpg

Chomper030.jpg

Andy
Red,. What brand processor is that, Thanks T,C, E ,J,

Chomper026.jpg

Chomper027.jpg

Chomper030.jpg

Andy

I watch the video's and looked at the pics. That by far is the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen. Man Wish I could figure out how that blade shears the wood without distorting,bending or breaking. But I'd like to see it take on a green hedge block 16' too. :clap: I love the automated feature. I'm gonna say that this machine steps out of my league. And I don't say that often.

I studied the Chompers for a while and the blade is just a very thick piece of treated steel with a curved edge on it so that it cuts the outside of the log a little before the middle starts it's cut. There is one major design flaw in my opinion, the inside of the machine is just a square box so the wood moves around and doesn't always split evenly enough to sell. But it's a great concept and even runs through green post oak but leaves the ends looking bad.

RE: ELVATOR...
yeah maybe its longer than 24ft... :) re: jams...is wood splinters that get jammed into the gear sprocket at the top of the elevator that usually jams it...

re: chomper....
it produces very little waste...and the design is awesome IMO...yeah a few logs come in a bit wonky...so then you get 2 smaller split peices of wood and 2 larger ones..so what...i dont even bother using the adjustment arms hardly anymore..just pull it in...and cut and then split it...the hold down arm..pretty much centers it...and so does the curved cutting blade...

i can do 1 full cord every 1hr 50min... so a good 4 cords a day... which is pretty good..considering its a 18hp small engine powering it..

mine is not automatic either :)

this design hands down really is far and above any chain or circular blade design.... and is way safer too....

things i would change... faster cycle time...and bigger log winch for those stubborn big logs..

last year was our first year doing wood...we started with 30 cords....this year we are going to do 90 and see how that goes..

Adam

ADAH--- regarding the jams at the end of the elevator. I had this problem until I extended the side's of the trough past the gear. Your elevater is different, but I bet it would help.:popcorn:

We had a guy demo one of those Ranier Hydraulics Chompers last summer. It was the automatic cycle(model 16?) and had a Deere deisel engine on it. The machine went to town while the operators was really just grabbing and skidding the logs. We were seriously thinking about it but it's stiff investment. Firewood is becoming bigger for us but has always been secondary too pulping. sawlogs and chips. For that too pay, it would have to be running and that's another couple of guys, a dump truck etc. Right now it's just a Mack Grapple truck and one guy delivering tree length. I'll have too do the math :popcorn:

I studied the Chompers for a while and the blade is just a very thick piece of treated steel with a curved edge on it so that it cuts the outside of the log a little before the middle starts it's cut. There is one major design flaw in my opinion, the inside of the machine is just a square box so the wood moves around and doesn't always split evenly enough to sell. But it's a great concept and even runs through green post oak but leaves the ends looking bad.

I'm cutting Pine, & Doug Fir with mine and the end's look ok. If a customer say's something about a few ragged end's I tell them to throw it in the stove and in an hour you'll never notice it.:laugh:
The inside of the machine being a square box is a huge advantage on crooked log's. The biggest flaw I've found is in the advertising, they say; As easy as pouring a cup of coffee (or something like that). It's pretty easy firewood, but a damn rough cup of coffee.

Andy

Mechanics

I'm cutting Pine, & Doug Fir with mine and the end's look ok. If a customer say's something about a few ragged end's I tell them to throw it in the stove and in an hour you'll never notice it.:laugh:
The inside of the machine being a square box is a huge advantage on crooked log's. The biggest flaw I've found is in the advertising, they say; As easy as pouring a cup of coffee (or something like that). It's pretty easy firewood, but a damn rough cup of coffee.

Andy

Iam lookin High and Low and It looks like a Roughf process, cuttin with a sheer style cutter,, The power is there, or could be, but the rock,and roll, part seams like a big thing,...T,C, E,J,

Latest posts

Back