Wood elevator Basics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIG splitter

What about a whole log splitter split ten foot at a time then cut into
firewood anyone ever do that?

Hey Roper, Iam collecting stuff to build a BIG splitter, My hyd cyl is 8in bore x 60 in strroke, Id go longer, But I dont have a loader that will handle more than a 5 ft long log, in the 4 foot dia, range, Thats gettin mighty heavy, alot people/contractors cant handle, or dont want to handle, that size log either, which makes them free for the takin, every body wins,..T,C, E,J,

Not that I've heard of, but then again this area isn't exactly rife with wood splitters (beyond the wooden handle variety, that is).

I would think that splitting a 10 footer would mean that 14 instead of 7 cuts would be needed with the chainsaw, and the splitter would have to (needlessly?) be of almost extraordinary means to split at 10 foot log.

On the other hand, one of the splitters that come out of the splitter build off thread might be up to the task. :D

Big Splitter

Not that I've heard of, but then again this area isn't exactly rife with wood splitters (beyond the wooden handle variety, that is).

I would think that splitting a 10 footer would mean that 14 instead of 7 cuts would be needed with the chainsaw, and the splitter would have to (needlessly?) be of almost extraordinary means to split at 10 foot log.

On the other hand, one of the splitters that come out of the splitter build off thread might be up to the task. :D

If you got about 40 grand to spend on a splitter, Timberwolf can build one for you, check out their site, The guy in ohio has a cheap demo, T,C, E,J,

If some one is burning good bales of hay they need to be hit really really hard heck we need a few 53 Ft trailer loads here for the cattle.

If you got about 40 grand to spend on a splitter, Timberwolf can build one for you, check out their site, The guy in ohio has a cheap demo, T,C, E,J,

LOL .... $40K? Even if I had that kind of money I probably wouldn't own a splitter.

Okay maybe I would, but that would just be because I like machinery and equipment. Chances are that I would build it myself just so I could build it myself, but we don't really have logs around here that call for a splitter.

Mostly I burn jack pine and it grows pretty straight without a whole lot of branches to toughen up a splitting job.

Dog

If some one is burning good bales of hay they need to be hit really really hard heck we need a few 53 Ft trailer loads here for the cattle.

I think the old rotten ones you see siting in the hedge rows will make there room and board better spent in a furnace, rather than makin your cows sick, I had no Idea you had cows, dont ask me why, cuz I cant tell you why.

Forget a log splitter for 40K I would build a firewood processing plant with a eight way wedge and the ability to cut up twenty four inch diameter by thirty foot long logs with a nice conveyor.

I have heard of these, searched on the net and found nothing. The one I was told about was semi buried, roll a bale in and close. Was told it would burn for a week. VERY interesting.

There was one in FARMSHOW magizene. Might be able to look that up online, I know you can buy their whole entire every issue on cd's. It's a realy neat mag, the only thing is I don't think everything in there actually works.

Like the setup you got, just had a few questions. Since you are splitting vertically you have to pick the pieces up and put them on conveyor. If you split horizontally pieces could fall into the conveyor saving some work, maybe. I hate using my splitter vertically just because I found it harder/ slower to reposition the wood. Realize log size/ weight has alot to do with it. Would it be possible to split horizontally if you had a log lift setup? Just looking for some feedback because I would like to make something similar.

Well you'd have to understand what I was splitting at first. Huge and I mean huge peices. The thing about horizontal splitting is is traditionally takes up more room side to side. I didn't think I could get that behind my truck and still on it. And if I could where would I stand once I put a lift to that. This is what I ended up with. I'm sure their is gonna be sombody(maybe you) who comes up with somthing better, but that's life. My back is weak and I figured if I didn't have to handle it until the peices were small I'd be better off. When I get a really big one I just move the whole unit to the block. When I'm out with the elevator off I can pinch a log And Big ones in the mouth and take them to wherever or load them if need be. I traditionally do this to thank the land owner I cut on. They burn wood. Kinda like giving the owner of the pond a fish for their curtasity.

Here's my opnion on this. It takes longer to cut then split. If a person did do this there wood(Get it) be more movement of the peices being cut, probably next to the ground where I hate to cut. Now if you could rig somthing up on a conveyer to split it and then dice it up you could be on to somthing. Build it and let's have a lookie.

LOL .... $40K? Even if I had that kind of money I probably wouldn't own a splitter.

Okay maybe I would, but that would just be because I like machinery and equipment. Chances are that I would build it myself just so I could build it myself, but we don't really have logs around here that call for a splitter.

Mostly I burn jack pine and it grows pretty straight without a whole lot of branches to toughen up a splitting job.

I was up in your area last October and I see what you mean when you say that you don't need a splitter. It was my first time in Manitoba and I thought I was going to see a lot of big virgin timber instead it was rock, water, and tooth picks.

I was up in your area last October and I see what you mean when you say that you don't need a splitter. It was my first time in Manitoba and I thought I was going to see a lot of big virgin timber instead it was rock, water, and tooth picks.

October you say? Did you happen to bring any dekes with you? If so and you plan on coming up again, then perhaps we'd best arrange to meet up!

As for the timber, you are 100% correct. Not too much is virgin timber anymore and even some of the older logging areas (late 70s) have grown in (but of course are not huge trees).

here is my set up.....

WP2.JPG

WP3.JPG

WP4.JPG

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet gitup, is it pto or other? Modern uses for old equipment are what I call "recycling" of ingenuity.

its the 18hp honda powered version...and the elevator is just a 1hp electric motor powered...

yeah I got the elevator for $350..i just keep it lubed with used motor oil..keep the belt tension low..so when it jams the chains dont break...it james every 2hrs or so..from a stray peice of wood...other than that its ok...

new "firewood" ones cost 4k+ so it was a no brainer.... plus its about 24' long...i can can stack a crazy heap of wood up...

That's a nice set up but I could never get away with selling wood split that big. I guess that is just the difference between markets.

Scott

Nice elevator

its the 18hp honda powered version...and the elevator is just a 1hp electric motor powered...

yeah I got the elevator for $350..i just keep it lubed with used motor oil..keep the belt tension low..so when it jams the chains dont break...it james every 2hrs or so..from a stray peice of wood...other than that its ok...

new "firewood" ones cost 4k+ so it was a no brainer.... plus its about 24' long...i can can stack a crazy heap of wood up...

, Where are you gettin the chunks jamed, I see a potental problem at the 8 foot seems, Iam workin on a simular model, what brand is that one,..are you sure it not like a 30/40 footer.T,C, E,J,

That looks a lot like mine, but the 18 hp Honda didn't do a good job at my elevation so I put a 35 hp Briggs on it (pump upgrade is next).

Chomper011.jpg

Andy

Good mods

Let me guess is it when you get one or two crocked and they wedge up? Seams usualy aren't a real prob. Unless they have protruding bolt heads. I used flat steel bent and then laid them in like shingles. Then welded from the underside. I think it helped but still get the ocasionaly jam. I hear ya on the chains, I 've broken them several times. That's what enough (Torque) will do. Threw that in there for ya cabinman. LOL. My ele. doesn't have the second Return floor and I can run the chains looser if I thought it would help. The other day I was going through some smaller stuff and noticed the chain climbing over the peices. :popcorn:

Back