Wood fairy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a phone call the other day, some random guy with a tree service asking if I wanted any wood. He was taking down a large oak and wanted someone to haul away the firewood.

I told him that was a dumb question - "OF COURSE" I want the wood!

So I show up at the place, and the guy instantly dumps a bobcat load into the trailer. After a quick chat, I drop the trailer and head to my own work site which just happens to be a mile or two away. I figured he'd fill that thing up in a couple hours, so I check back, and there are about 5 other guys with trucks and a few trailers backed up and no additional wood to my trailer. No prob - I guess I wouldn't be getting it all. I come back again in a few hours and there are 5 new guys with their rigs there and no more wood in my trailer. Hmm - maybe this won't be so good after all. I finally show up at 4 to take my trailer away, and he's got a huge log in there, and the tree is only 1/2 way down, so I tell him I can leave the trailer overnight and get it tomorrow. He says he'll have it filled by then.

In the morning there are a few more logs and part of the huge trunk - I was rather hoping I wouldn't get that since there were so many large branches and crotches there, but that's what I got.

But it's free, so I'm not going to complain.

IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

nice score!!! one thing I've learned with gifts from tree guys is to never complain. and a little green in their pockets usually awards you better stuff next time. good score either way.

Damn, I would have taken a sick day just to transport wood all day. Nice score, you suck. The little guy looks happier in the second pic.

Yeah, the sun was in his eyes so I had to tell him to smile.

I was thinking about giving him a $20, but he wasn't around when I went to get the trailer - besides, I had a feeling he calls his network of scroungers every time, so it might be pointless to try and thin the herd a bit.

Got a phone call the other day, some random guy with a tree service asking if I wanted any wood. He was taking down a large oak and wanted someone to haul away the firewood.

I told him that was a dumb question - "OF COURSE" I want the wood!

So I show up at the place, and the guy instantly dumps a bobcat load into the trailer. After a quick chat, I drop the trailer and head to my own work site which just happens to be a mile or two away. I figured he'd fill that thing up in a couple hours, so I check back, and there are about 5 other guys with trucks and a few trailers backed up and no additional wood to my trailer. No prob - I guess I wouldn't be getting it all. I come back again in a few hours and there are 5 new guys with their rigs there and no more wood in my trailer. Hmm - maybe this won't be so good after all. I finally show up at 4 to take my trailer away, and he's got a huge log in there, and the tree is only 1/2 way down, so I tell him I can leave the trailer overnight and get it tomorrow. He says he'll have it filled by then.

In the morning there are a few more logs and part of the huge trunk - I was rather hoping I wouldn't get that since there were so many large branches and crotches there, but that's what I got.

But it's free, so I'm not going to complain.

View attachment 453640 View attachment 453641
noodling works well..........

How did your Conversation go with the guy. I see it as you were called and showed up 1st, with a real trailer and should have had the opportunity to take the whole thing. I hate showing up to a scrounge and seeing a bunch of lowly scroungers already there.

Free wood is a good deal but it looks like you may be getting what I call the "ugly chunks'.

Let the tree guy know you are always on the lookout for wood.

If he ever has wood that he'd like you to get after he's left the job site let him know you'd rake up make it neat in the area where you pick up the wood.

How did your Conversation go with the guy. I see it as you were called and showed up 1st, with a real trailer and should have had the opportunity to take the whole thing. I hate showing up to a scrounge and seeing a bunch of lowly scroungers already there.

Nah. I spoke with one of the scroungers and he said he's been scrounging from this guy for years. He drove 20 miles to get this wood. Anyway, I think the tree service just wanted to make sure they had enough people to cart away all the wood.

I don't mind a few junk pieces, although the Super Split isn't the best with crotches. But lots of noodling into smaller chunks and it won't be a problem. At least he didn't roll it around in the dirt for a while before loading it.

Are you sure the imp on the trailer is yours? With your crowd someone could slip in another one!

Harry K

He cries all night, eats all day, poops like a horse, and has to shave every other day. Yep - he's mine all right. :D

Nah. I spoke with one of the scroungers and he said he's been scrounging from this guy for years. He drove 20 miles to get this wood. Anyway, I think the tree service just wanted to make sure they had enough people to cart away all the wood.

I don't mind a few junk pieces, although the Super Split isn't the best with crotches. But lots of noodling into smaller chunks and it won't be a problem. At least he didn't roll it around in the dirt for a while before loading it.
straight,, no dirt on trunks is appreiciated....

You got a good deal there. Neighbor couple miles up the road cleared about a 40 acre hardwood bottom. The loggers left tops and stubs for days....and easy to get at too. Can't get permission to cut so all I can do is drive by and drool. Don't know what they are gonna do but seeing all that just lay and rot.... it breaks my heart! There is a huge live oak log right off the road at least 40ft long..... I just gotta new to me wood hauler too....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

You got a good deal there. Neighbor couple miles up the road cleared about a 40 acre hardwood bottom. The loggers left tops and stubs for days....and easy to get at too. Can't get permission to cut so all I can do is drive by and drool. Don't know what they are gonna do but seeing all that just lay and rot.... it breaks my heart! There is a huge live oak log right off the road at least 40ft long..... I just gotta new to me wood hauler too....

got a good friend living nearby?? he may be able to get the wood,, that you could work something out with him............

Offer to pay a reasonable stumpage?

Harry K

I know it's close to home but I just can't see paying for wood. I have plenty for this year, and probably next year too. I just like to keep cutting so I don't run out. I always have other places in mind. I'm gonna ask again next week what we mite be able to work out. Seems like they would be happy to let me come cut as there is plenty to get.

Thanks

I know it's close to home but I just can't see paying for wood. I have plenty for this year, and probably next year too. I just like to keep cutting so I don't run out. I always have other places in mind. I'm gonna ask again next week what we mite be able to work out. Seems like they would be happy to let me come cut as there is plenty to get.

Thanks

I ran into one like that. Near home, guy removing a long row of black locust. Wouldn't budge, piled and burned.

Harry K

Back