Wood fireplace brick panel- $500 ??? or new insert??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redoakneck

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
:msp_ohmy:

My inside decorative wood fireplace has been my primary heat source for the past 4 years, having a fire from dec. 1 to april pretty much every day and evening. A few months ago, I tore into it thinking I could fix the blower that has never worked. I took the firebrick panels out. They were in bad shape so I threw them out (like a DummAzz). Went to price them online and a set is 560 bucks or cut yer own for 350?? I can buy regular fire brick for a few bucks and to line this smallish box would be less than 100 bucks. Are those panels made out of gold or what is the reason they are so expensive??? 2 sides a bottom and a back, what gives??

My fireplace is a Superior HCE 3550, pre-fab crap I think. I am thinking about just getting an insert now, but the only one small enough takes tiny wood that needs to be filled often. I do not want to have to get up in the middle of the night to feed it. Trying to find info online about that fireplace is like trying to find an honest politician in October. Anyone ever just re-firebrick one of these, can't be that difficult. Also pondering tearing the whole unit out and putting in a very large insert.???

I have propane back up so I am not without heat, but I would like to be able to use more wood and less gas. Those outside wood burners look awesome but they are pricey.

anyhelp would be appreciated