Wood/gas or Wood/oil Yukon's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When needing a wood furnace that is inside a wood/gas or wood oil furnace may be just the ticket for you.
Since both fuels burn in the same furnace,you'll be able to hook it up to a single high temp flue.
Having both fuels allows you to burn with wood or coal to avoid the high costs of liquid fuel ,yet to have liquid fuel as a back up satisfing your homeowners insurance company's demand that you have a back up source of heat when operating wood and or coal.

Here is a cut away of the furnace which will enable you to see inside of it.
eagle1a.jpg

You'll notice the big blower under the air filter. It has a varible speed ability in that it comes standard with a split sheeve pully.The base set up is a 1/3 h.s.p. motor with a 6 inch pulley giving you between 800 and 1600 cfm's.There are option to upgrade to 1/2 hsp & 3/4 hsp motors with smaller blower pulley that will make up to 2400 cfm's
blower.jpg

Inside the fireboxes ....Twenty percent of the air required for proper coal/wood combustion is drawn in above the firebox, superheated by the already hot firebox, and then distributed around the top of the flame to create an afterburner effect. Forty percent of the energy in wood/coal leaves the initial flame in the form of an unburned gas (smoke). This patented system burns these gases, thereby substantially increasing the efficiency of the wood or coal.
burner.jpg

grates.jpg

It is imperative that 80 percent of the air for combustion enters the firebox from below a wood/coal grate to insure an efficient and clean burning fire. Our standard heavy cast iron grate (shown above) is adequate for a wood fire.
A much heavier cast iron shaker grate is also available as an option for dense coal use.
shaker_grates.jpg

The secondary heat exchanger is made up of four type 304 Stainless Steel rectangular tubes, which the heat produced by the furnace must pass through before entering the chimney. This feature increases the heating surface to 54 square feet. Standard gas or oil furnaces have only 25-30 square feet.
exchanger.jpg

It also comes with a clean out door for easy maintainence.
door.jpg

This style of furnace also comes with an insulated cabinet.
Of coarse all black surfaces are hot and should not be touched.
The liquid fuel will lite the solid fuel and when the wood or coal goes out the liquid fuel comes on via a digital Honywell thermostat.

We also make a wood/coal and electric furnace.
These Eagle furnaces come in 2 sizes.112,000 & 151,000 btu output.
They are UL listed for the US and Canadian markets.
Typically a full cord of seasoned hardwood is able to displace 200 gallons of #2 fuel oil or 250 gallons of propane or it's equivilant in nat. gas.

Here is how they work...
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/SearchResults/HowItWorks/tabid/187/Default.aspx

Last edited:
That looks like something I may be interseted in. How about my central air though? I don't want to have to buy a seperate air handler for that. You know of any customers that have air conditioning coils above the furnace's output duct? Id like to see some installation pics that you all may have. How about a PM of the price range I would be looking at?

Keith,

Does your company have any referrals for local HVAC companies that would install these? Will this furnace work with an A/C A coil like a gas furnace would have on top?

Nice post Keith. These are really nice units that are very well built. I'm loving my Husky, been running it for 2 years now and saved me a ton of $ :clap:. I only burn wood in mine, don't need to use anything else.

A/C can be installed easily just like with any other conventional furnace with the only exception that the condensate pan be made of metal.You would order the furnace with the extra relay to wire in the A-coil.
The Honywell digital stat will operate the liquid fuel in the winter and the A/C in the summer all with 7 day programable & set back functions. The other smaller Honywell stat runs the wood or coal.

We have a list of contractor in our web site.
Here's what we have in Mn.
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/SearchResults/MinnesotaInstallerList/tabid/257/Default.aspx
I see you are in Stillwater....any bonafide contractor can install these furnaces...homeowners have been doing there's for years.They are not that difficult.
We have the plenum kits,flue pipe and we provide you all of the support we can over the phone.
We would ask that if you do it yourself that a HVAC contractor come over to check out your install and set the burner.

Last edited:
That looks like something I may be interseted in. How about my central air though? I don't want to have to buy a seperate air handler for that. You know of any customers that have air conditioning coils above the furnace's output duct? Id like to see some installation pics that you all may have. How about a PM of the price range I would be looking at?

We make 2 different sizes of furnaces .They come with either gas or oil and they have 3 different blower configs.
So to quote a price without knowing exactly what you'll need is tough.
We really should talk (800-358-0060) ,but heres some pricing info.
If your home is 3000 s/f or smaller hit this link.
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/EAGLEIHUSKY/YOURFACTORYDIRECTCOST/tabid/105/Default.aspx
..if your home is larger hit this link...
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/EAGLEIIPOLAR/YOURFACTORYDIRECTCOST/tabid/119/Default.aspx

Having A/C installed looks like a typical install with the A/Coil buried inside the hot air plenum.All that you would see would be the cooling lines and the drain tube exiting the metal plenum.Just like any other installation in a conventional furnace.

Here's a pic of the typical installation located on our front page of our website.
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/WoodFurnaceHOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I can take some but I can't seem to upload pics here, plus mine is plenty old, 1978 I think.
so you have bought a 30 year old Husky and been using it for a few years....old Huskies never die....they just get reincarnated.
Should you need anything for her ...just let us know.All parts are available.
Some have been made stronger ,but everything fits.

Man I would love to have one of those. That would solve all my single chimney issues. Keep me from having to disconnect the flue on the oil burner and have to reconnect it when I'm not using wood. Save alot of space in the basement too. Someone lend me 5,000.00.:cry:

Thanks for the links Keith.

Actually they are on sale for 400$ off and the tax credit makes them 1400$ and change less.
We have 6 months to a year same as cash if that helps or 2-3-4- or 5 year term agreements.

Looks like a sweet unit. I would love to get my hands on something like that. Wish I had the 5k. I have a single chimney/flue also....

Adding another high temp flue can cost upward of 3 grand...having the ability to use the flue already there is huge ...for sure.

If you are burning liquid fuel at all this furnace can stop that bleeding.
Some folks are already burning wood, however some have to wake up to load it.If the wood is going out then there is a certain amount your paying for liquid fuel. The point is most folks can afford one if they have a bill that they can redirect to the furnace pay off. It typically does not take long to recoup every penny spent on these furnaces.
At least not in the ice belt.Those that live in milder climates will see another year or two to get the pay back to cover the furnace cost.

Last edited:
Back