wood gasification boiler/furnace experiences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have experience with a Garn system? I've read a lot of positive things about their gassification system, but nobody in Upstate NY seems to have heard of them (or really of gassification for that matter). Any idea how much they run?

Who are considered the best companies on the market for wood furnaces/boilers? :confused:
I have a Garn 2000 I like it but they are high priced at $15,000. I live where the are only two house in this mile so if I was going to do it again I would build one with 4000 gallons of storage instead of the 2000 gallons the garn has and not worry about a little smoke. I do like loading the wood inside.

Does anyone here have any first or secondhand experience with the cleaner burnig tarm, greenwood , garn etc. gasification furnaces. I have been doing a lot of research on the subject and am looking at going from woodstove to outdoor wood heat. The current issues regarding OWB's and emissions is getting pretty close to home and these seem to be the next generation of boilers. If i am going to install one I would prefer to go with one of the cleaner burning models as I'm convinced that this current issue is going to be get larger and more widespread. I am curious how these measure up in regards to wood use/ whole house heating capabilities as compared to the conventional OWB's I understand the theory on the gasification units, but are there any units similar that don't require additonal air introduction (blower fan)
I know one of the larger OWB manufacturers claims the there's is the cleanest burning, but there emissions charts compare themselves with other boilers and their baseline is what % GREATER their competitors emissions are as compared to theirs. Not ACTUAL particles per hour measurements. Leaves me somewhat skeptical.
Just remember one thing, when the power goes out you'll be committed to making sure you keep a generator running, or no heat and worst of all a freeze up. I had a Woodmaster 4400 for 8 years then went to a Paxo 60 gasificatiion Boiler, 1600 gallons of thermal water strorage, did a shed for the storage and boiler, etc. Now I have a woodstove in my house and would never go back to what I had. Simple, power goes out I have heat, burn half the wood I use to, and no freeze up to worry about, or circulators going bad, water treatments, etc. Alot less stress. Plus I can even cook on the woodstove. Just my opinion. I love the simple life again. I use to burn between 10-14 cords with the furnaces I had. Now I burn 5 with my woodstove. Just food for thought.

Just remember one thing, when the power goes out you'll be committed to making sure you keep a generator running, or no heat and worst of all a freeze up. I had a Woodmaster 4400 for 8 years then went to a Paxo 60 gasificatiion Boiler, 1600 gallons of thermal water strorage, did a shed for the storage and boiler, etc. Now I have a woodstove in my house and would never go back to what I had. Simple, power goes out I have heat, burn half the wood I use to, and no freeze up to worry about, or circulators going bad, water treatments, etc. Alot less stress. Plus I can even cook on the woodstove. Just my opinion. I love the simple life again. I use to burn between 10-14 cords with the furnaces I had. Now I burn 5 with my woodstove. Just food for thought.
I agree their is more things to take care of. But is nice to have the mess of the wood out in the shed. It is nice to have even heat in the rooms of the house. I had wood stoves in my other house for 20 years and I don't miss them. We live in a three story house now and it would be hard to heat with wood stoves. I don't miss worrying about the stove burning the house down.

Just came across this old thread. I have an EKO 25 gassifier. I kind of miss my old free standing stove. Nice and hot when next to it. I don't miss the bugs crawling around on the carpet or the bark neither. I only burn 4 cords of wood at the 43 * north Wisconsin. A gassifier is a bit more trouble but when they work there is nothing better. I don't have storage.

Latest posts

Back