Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To address the weight being pulled by any truck.

I am almost always over my rated towing capacity for my truck. I haven't had any problems. The manufacturer I believe rates the towing capacity like if a moron was behind the wheel mashing the pedal to the floor at every stop. I simply take it easy and slow from stops, keep it out of overdrive, and move right along.

I have a 2004 F250 with 5.4L and automatic. I pull a 10ton gooseneck which has never been to capacity behind my truck, but I have had the combined weight near 20k.

Do what you wish, but I wouldn't have any problem pulling a 10k or 14k trailer behind a half ton.

Your style of heavy vehicle use mirrors mine, I have always been on a budget and using a vehicle harshly has never neen an option. I milk older vehicles for all they are worth and when I sell them the new owner usually trashes them within months.

Heres my hauler:

IMG_0337.jpg

Its a 92 on 35s. Alittle tall but Its job done.

TJ

Some 25 years ago I made this trailer out of scraps. I took two rails from some storage racks and made a 4x8 bed for a trailer. Because I had the lumber from an old redwood silo, I used that for the bed and the rails. The axel is made from and old 2 ½ steam pipe that was removed from a factory. The wheels are from the front end of a 1960 ford. For many years we hauled our logs out of the woods with this trailer. Ten years ago the folks passed away and the trailer sat in the brush. Now I’m heating with wood and brought the old trailer back to life. I was shocked to see the old tires still held air. I did spend a few bucks for nuts and bolts. The old nails were pulling out of the rails so I bolted them together. In the past we pulled the trailer with the old JD so now I put on a trailer hitch so we could pull it with the wheeler.

I didn’t think the 800 would pull as much as it does. I soon found out if the load is balanced; there is no limit to what the wheeler can pull down the trails.

We now take the splitter in to the woods and haul out the split wood in the fall.

WoodTrailer002.jpg

WoodTrailer.jpg

Some 25 years ago I made this trailer out of scraps. I took two rails from some storage racks and made a 4x8 bed for a trailer. Because I had the lumber from an old redwood silo, I used that for the bed and the rails. The axel is made from and old 2 ½ steam pipe that was removed from a factory. The wheels are from the front end of a 1960 ford. For many years we hauled our logs out of the woods with this trailer. Ten years ago the folks passed away and the trailer sat in the brush. Now I’m heating with wood and brought the old trailer back to life. I was shocked to see the old tires still held air. I did spend a few bucks for nuts and bolts. The old nails were pulling out of the rails so I bolted them together. In the past we pulled the trailer with the old JD so now I put on a trailer hitch so we could pull it with the wheeler.

I didn’t think the 800 would pull as much as it does. I soon found out if the load is balanced; there is no limit to what the wheeler can pull down the trails.

We now take the splitter in to the woods and haul out the split wood in the fall.

WoodTrailer002.jpg

WoodTrailer.jpg

sweet rig dude like the atv
:clap:

Just a couple cheap, gratuitous pics. I had a big stump ground a couple months ago........ finally got around to finding a home for the grindings mixed with dirt.

DumpTrailer001.jpg

DumpTrailer002.jpg

DumpTrailer003.jpg

I was wondering if those photos would show up on this thread. Nice.

That dump trailer is awesome Mr. Ductape, But you just ain't right for makin us jelous.:D

Uuuugh......... is there anyone on AS that IS right ? :monkey:

P.S. I'm really mad at my dump trailer. After owning it for four years I had to put a new battery in it this week. Of all the screw job gyp joints !!!!!!!

Last week-ends haul

Wife and I went up a cut a couple loads of Lodge pole about a week ago.
New to me 97 F250 Power Stroke, 4x4, 5sp. 200k+ runs very well for the milage...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
patch panels on the: rockers, cab corners, bed arches, patch panels on front fenders
new doors, new hood, .
if it is as bad as mine was (i had to hand form patch panels for the firewall, cause nobody makes them) give it 2-3 full weekends to do, start to finish. if you are like me, figure a year.

the patch panels are easy, if you can weld, and cheaper. i looked for a long time and got 2 new doors, hood, and 1 fender for less than any one new panel. the kits for the cab are cheap. keep your eyes on the local scrap yards...

Last edited:
I have patched panels before on one of my old Dodge's, and I prefer it as I have a trade in welding and I can save a lot of money by making my own patches vs buying panels, but it is a challenge sometimes working with compound curves over a larger piece. Lots of hammer work and patience but its a great reward seeing the truck come back to new. Paint is my weak area.

Back