Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got married with 2 children in 2008 and bought our acreage in July of 2009. We were just starting out on one income and I found us a Montgomery Ward's add - on furnace and put it in our drafty old farm house. My dad gave me his old homelites and I needed me a truck since I sold my 4x4 diesel to make a house payment. So i started looking round and a guy at work says grandpa has a 74 f250 he'd sell. So 400.00 later i was the proud owner of a 1974 2wd 4 speed 360 2v f250 that REALLY needed a friend. The starter was messed up, 4 bald tires, it was painful to set in the seat, heater core leaked, no window guides left whatsoever, not even a trailer hitch on the poor thing. Well I started with a tune up, new starter drive, new ring gear, Carb kit, etc etc, and made myself a truck I could use. Driving was sure fun @55 MPH since it bump steered so bad but that old truck never let me down, always started no matter how cold, and kept us warm with minor upgrades here and there for 4 years. My dad gave me a set of tire chains and I put some nasty skinny E rated tires in the back.

My 92 came along (351 4x4 5spd) with overloads and great mechanical condition and I just couldn't say no. Having that old 2wd has taught me to drive a little more selectively and that 4x4 isn't just a toy, like these rich little daddy's boys get for their graduation present, its a wonderful tool that makes life easier. I feel like I'm 16 again with my first truck and cant wait to "make it mine" (reciever for my sharpening vise, dual exhaust, tinted rear window, brake controller, gooseneck hitch, etc etc) and have learned to appreciate the small things like not slamming the door twice every time, being able to hear the radio driving down the road, driving 75mph comfortably etc etc. I am looking forward to teaching my girls to drive "BIG RED" as they call it, when they are old enough to reach the pedals!

Ok topper off and alcoas on.
y9anehy8.jpg
much better!!

1622144_10201641973187488_565969417_n.jpg
Woodhauler hauling the wood hauler. 95 F350 4x4 7.3 and the 76 K10 with 350.
1623774_10201641974547522_471410314_n.jpg

Ex wood hauler Kinda miss it. But couldnt find a 390 to replace the motor.
1620656_10201641972147462_1773208877_n.jpg

Wood scout back in the day. It hauled a few loads of firewood.
1489208_10201641972707476_497697366_n.jpg

88 F250 7.3 IDI posin with the gooseneck, (didnt have hitch :p) Truck had 330K miles and bout 70K on the motor and tranny. Was gettin 16mpg till new tires. But gone now, kinda miss it too.

The tires are "loaded" with fluid also.
Nice rig spider. As a fellow fan of getting things done on the cheap (still have never bought a truck with power windows. Yes I'm that cheap!), I'll take the opportunity to repost my old gator because I love it so much. My neighbor who has a late model 650i marvels at what it can do at less than one tenth the cost he paid for his used! Although I couldn't even "load" the front tire on mine. Those old AMTs don't have much motor!
image.jpg

Nice rig spider. As a fellow fan of getting things done on the cheap (still have never bought a truck with power windows. Yes I'm that cheap!), I'll take the opportunity to repost my old gator because I love it so much. My neighbor who has a late model 650i marvels at what it can do at less than one tenth the cost he paid for his used! Although I couldn't even "load" the front tire on mine. Those old AMTs don't have much motor!

Those are pretty cool. I worked for an ancient geezer who cut logs, made lumber with a woodmiser and raised 'sang. He had one and it hauled all sorts of stuff. I wonder if they ever had some sort of tracks that would go over the wheels.

edit..a civvie version of this, always thought these were just too cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_2

From the woods behind my house, I can wind to about 12-15 homes without crossing a road. Not all use firewood. But, it turns out this load was headed about 20 miles away to my son's place, so I pull it to the driveway with the ATV, then with the load balanced, I just switch to my truck. Move enough of the wood from the rear to the front so I get a decent tongue weight, and deliver. I priced my delivered wood out of contention on purpose. I don't enjoy trucking it, unloading it, stacking it again. Takes to much time from what I do enjoy. Turns out my son doesn't pay for the wood, the delivery, or the lunch we ate after we stacked it.
Jee if my pops did all that i would at least buy lunch and a case of his fav brew. but I do all the wood cutting and well he doesnt pay me....figure that eh.

ill second that. ive got my old ford chained up on all four corners and still cant make it to the blow downs in my woods. gonna have to take the skidsteer out to clear a path first if i really want to get to em this winter

the snow is deep. especially when trying to get through the plowed up piles on the side of the drive.

Attachments

• IMAG1444-19035699.jpg
    IMAG1444-19035699.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back