Wood Haulers - show us your woods rig.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I have been wanting a decent outfit to use for 'work' - something heavy duty, something 4 wheel drive, something with at least an extended cab to haul saws, gear, friends & family, something that isn't totally beat to $hit and something cheap - all those things combined is quite hard to find. All this is in an effort to not beat up the Cowboy Cadillac too much and keep it nice for road trips, family camping/vacation, long distance hauling, etc.

I actually went to look at a 76 F-250 this morning and while cruising the lot, my lovely wife exclaimed with enthusiasm "Josh, look at that Chevy". She is pretty in tune with my taste, and found just what WE were looking for.

1988 Chevy 1-ton Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.2L diesel. This truck is clean as can be - not a bit of rust to be found. Dana 60 front, Corporate 14 Bolt rear with limited slip, 4.10 gears. Best of all, it came with a 8274 Warn winch. All it needs is a good cleaning, a tune-up, fluid change for good measure, and a set of sides to actually put a load on her.

What do you guys think?

attachment.php

the 6.2 Diesels were hit and miss, some guys like them, some hated them. My dad had one in an old Suburban, ran fine until one day it just threw a rod unexpectedly.

Aside from that looks like a sweet rig! I would snatch it up if the price is right.

That Warn 8274 is the standard by which all other winches are judged... Ya done good...:clap:

That rig looks awesome. If it runs and drives and the price is right, HELL ya! I agree the 6.2 Diesels were hit and miss, but I know LOT of farmers here that still run the crap out of them and have over 300,000 miles and running strong. I would love to have a firewood/multipurpose rig like that.

Here's mine. Saws aren't the only things I like to mod:)

'01 ECSB 4x4, 5.3L, 4.30:1 + Detroit TrueTrac, TB Stall Converter, Comp Cam 212/218, .522/.529, 114LSA, LS6 springs, Doug Thorley LT Tri-Y ceramic headers, gutted cats, Flowmaster 50 SUV Muffler, LS1 E-Fans, Airaid MIT, Complete valve body build up, Ford Keys, Rear Add-A-Leaf, 33/12.50-17 Dik Cepek F-C IIs on Moto Metal 951s

It now has red/chrome door handles for an Escalade.
146024007_DgXao-M.jpg
146023721_EqdcN-M.jpg

Oh, I already bought it...the deal was too good to pass up...that picture is shortly after getting it home. The guy even offered up an entire late 80s Suburban (beat-up) for free just to get rid of the thing. I passed, but will be going back to pull the motor (also a 6.2) next Friday so I can have some spare parts (starter, alternator, injectors, glowplugs, lift pump, etc.) as well as getting some interior pieces to 'dress up' the dually.

I am stoked. Did I mention it has air conditioning? And, only 85,000 miles?

hahaha, nice score! Just take the whole Suburban, take off what you need and tow the rest to a junkyard (with your new rig of course) and you'll have some beerfuel money just for the scrap metal.

You'd be surpised how much wood you can haul with an old Wheel Horse and a 10 cube cart. It's not the flashiest way of doing it but wheel weights,
V bar tires, chains and an 8 speed tranny with low range will pretty much get you where you have to go regardless of terrain.
And not to mention the cast iron Kohler engine is probably one of the worlds greatest inventions. And I can run this thing for days on a gallon of gas.
DSCN0952.jpg

And for the chunks too heavy to lift my stepdad has a Toro Wheel Horse 520xi with a bucket loader like this one.
toro_5xi_Bucket2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back