Wood I. D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey Studs,

Been a second since I posted, been busy with school, projects, and an aging Father.
Yet, did some scrouging and came up with these burley rounds.
Initially, I thought they were cherry, smells extremely sweet, yet lack the traits I see in typical cherry.
I've considered pear or apple as possibilities. Still not positive.

Any help would be appreciated,Cherry Bark.jpgCherry Split Rd.jpgCherry Splits and axe.jpgBark 2.jpg
Reg

Pretty sure not apple or pear Reggie. I've been cutting a lot of that as of late. The interior color of you split has me leaning toward cherry. The bark is what throws me but I have seen variances in older trees. Good luck with your Dad as I am in the same position.

Pretty sure not apple or pear Reggie. I've been cutting a lot of that as of late. The interior color of you split has me leaning toward cherry. The bark is what throws me but I have seen variances in older trees. Good luck with your Dad as I am in the same position.
Steve!
Always the voice of reason, logic, and compassion!
Thanks brother!

Here is more of the same!
Is the consensus still cherry?
A good friend of mine who is a Horticulture Agent at a local college says it is definitely something in the Prunus genus, which includes cherry, plum, and other fruits and ornamental trees. But can't give me a specific species. Says it looks like cherry though...:laugh::innocent::sweet:

Attachments

• end grain.jpg
    end grain.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21
  • splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • Truck load.jpg
    Truck load.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 19
Here is more of the same!
Is the consensus still cherry?
A good friend of mine who is a Horticulture Agent at a local college says it is definitely something in the Prunus genus, which includes cherry, plum, and other fruits and ornamental trees. But can't give me a specific species. Says it looks like cherry though...:laugh::innocent::sweet:
Pics aint the best looks like cherry could be Plum who knows? Where did it come from the forest or a property we need more details.

Pics aint the best looks like cherry could be Plum who knows? Where did it come from the forest or a property we need more details.
Nope, pics are not the best or the worst. It was on the edge of a residence and the State crew came through and cut it down for a road expansion.
I wish I had twigs, leaves, or fruit, but alas, it was not to be! I appreciate all the feedback for real.
It's going in the woodpile and I'm back to hanging out by the pool. :drinkingcoffee:
Peace...

Latest posts

Back